the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeh it was a lot more then 3 cuts. I'll post some pics after the wedding. Can't let it all out of the bag and ruin the surprise for matt

I know the surprise. I've been asked to do the same for a customer's daughter's wedding :) I think...
It was in a bloody wedding decoration book and now every buggar's onto it.

Is it possible to buy a bar that is bigger than 42" that will fit, is going in a mill so will have aux oiler, just don't want to have to buy a larger saw to mill one tree

After you pay for the bar and chain, you will never be able to afford a new saw again.

Probably cheaper to take it to a saw mill

Mcw, what's the biggest bar I can get to fit on a 660
42" from either GB or Oregon. Above that is the larger 3002 ms880 etc. the oiler topping out is more so the limiting factor above that as Matt said. My 066 has a std oiler before they come out with the HO oiler in 09 on the MS660 we get here in oz. mine must be a pretty health one as I've not had a problem with a 36" on it. With the longer bars made by GB they are a lot thicker then a standard bar and from what they've said can cause issues with the bar binding in the cut if they're used with 3/8 as it gets sharpened back and the kerf slowly decreases so they recommend only .404 which then takes more grunt to run. I didn't check the Stihl 5ft I had got for a bloke to see if that was any thinker then a standard ES bar or not. 076 is a could old lugger slower reving and has the auxiliary oiler under the front handle. Can be picked up for around 500 in good nick, easy to get parts for. 050/051 ts510 & 075/076 ts760 all the same series of saw. I've seen the air filer off the cut quick version chuck on quite a few too. Later versions had a chain brake and electronic ignition. The super had a different carburetter and an extra spacer block between the carb and cylinder

Is it possible to buy a bar that is bigger than 42" that will fit, is going in a mill so will have aux oiler, just don't want to have to buy a larger saw to mill one tree

If you want to run a bar longer than 42" you may just need a couple of turbos hanging off it :) Milling is very tough on a saw.
To be honest mate that is simply too long for an 066/660 regardless of the oil capacity or chain type. As Benny said you'll run out of bar options above 42" in the 12mm mount.

With the nearest mill 450km away or $750 a day for a Lucas I think I'll continue to use my GB mill and Husky 3120 (well the new Husky 3120 - my old one won't start dammit).

Can you save the piston and rod from the old 3120? Should make a good key ring me thinks

Can you save the piston and rod from the old 3120? Should make a good key ring me thinks

I've priced up parts and for around USD$900 from www.jackssmallengines.com I should be able to get her running again. I'll just buy bits as I go and end up with two 3120's at the end. Got a bit of bummer news though as apparently my saw was only covered for theft. I was under the impression that only my customer's saws were covered for fire and theft and my personal saws were covered for everything. I have a meeting with the Insurance guy 9am tomorrow. He said he should be able to get $1000 under household accidental damage. Ah well, thems the breaks.

I've priced up parts and for around USD$900 from www.jackssmallengines.com I should be able to get her running again. I'll just buy bits as I go and end up with two 3120's at the end. Got a bit of bummer news though as apparently my saw was only covered for theft. I was under the impression that only my customer's saws were covered for fire and theft and my personal saws were covered for everything. I have a meeting with the Insurance guy 9am tomorrow. He said he should be able to get $1000 under household accidental damage. Ah well, thems the breaks.

Ahh thats a bit of a bummer, hope you can work something out. Keep an eye out for 3120 parts also, they do sometimes come up for half reasonable prices.

Latest posts

Back