the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This dentist bloke could be a good guy that's been had, a complete prick, somewhere in between or all of the above, I just don't know, all I have heard is what is on the media and that tends to be biased, prejudiced, sensationalized rubbish most times.

If he was of the honest belief that he had the correct permits and went about it the legal way and has been had then all I can ask is why a lion? I understand that they do breed big game for hunting if you have big bucks....not something I'd do although I hate cats and would shoot a domestic cat if my dogs didn't take care of it first.

If he didn't go about it the correct way then he's in real risk of being extradited and could face a long spell in gaol. I doubt they could gaol him in the USA but they have some pretty weird laws over there that we can't really have here, since they are the world police and have God on there side.

I actually have family over there at the moment on an African safari and were in the same country as the dentist at the time. Game hunting has always been a big thing in Africa, but hunting lions when out of fashion about 50 years ago. Its only the Americans that think of it as a sport? and visit Africa by the bus load. The pay around $50k US to shoot a lion and that to the africans is like 5 years salary and many of them are starving so doesn't take much to convince them. Some private wild life parks do breed lions for hunting and others have to many so numbers sometimes need to be controlled. But being Africa there is no regulation on numbers so if Americans are willing to pay they show them the lions, be that in captivity or in the wild.

This dentist story has been blown slightly out of proportion because someone mentioned it on the internet and now the whole world knows about it. Also we know how Americans feel about shooting cats so that probably also fuelled the fire. As I understand it the dentist wanted to use a bow and getting up close to would be difficult. Apparently the hunting organisers "chose" this lion because he was tame and therefore not shy of people, easier to lure closer etc. This lion happened to be called Cecil and was famous because of his black main.

But at least the one positive out of this whole story is raising awareness, Americans (mainly) spend millions in Africa killing wild animals in the name of sport/recreation.

I actually have family over there at the moment on an African safari and were in the same country as the dentist at the time. Game hunting has always been a big thing in Africa, but hunting lions when out of fashion about 50 years ago. Its only the Americans that think of it as a sport? and visit Africa by the bus load. The pay around $50k US to shoot a lion and that to the africans is like 5 years salary and many of them are starving so doesn't take much to convince them. Some private wild life parks do breed lions for hunting and others have to many so numbers sometimes need to be controlled. But being Africa there is no regulation on numbers so if Americans are willing to pay they show them the lions, be that in captivity or in the wild.

This dentist story has been blown slightly out of proportion because someone mentioned it on the internet and now the whole world knows about it. Also we know how Americans feel about shooting cats so that probably also fuelled the fire. As I understand it the dentist wanted to use a bow and getting up close to would be difficult. Apparently the hunting organisers "chose" this lion because he was tame and therefore not shy of people, easier to lure closer etc. This lion happened to be called Cecil and was famous because of his black main.

But at least the one positive out of this whole story is raising awareness, Americans (mainly) spend millions in Africa killing wild animals in the name of sport/recreation.
Liked your post just for the windy reference.

:laughing: :barbecue: :rock2: :drinking:

Interesting Rudy, my view does not change tho (not that that matters).
If I could find the article I read years ago a very simular thing happened here in the northern territory.
Some rich Sydney sider wanted to impress his mates and new wife by shouting them a game hunt. Long bull sh-t story short, this fool paid massive money to hunt and kill a wild scrub bull or 2.
Turned up with a 308 and a lot of attitude and the guide told them to go home , money talks so these so called guides looked for days for this old bull they knew who had a lame leg from fighting in his earlier life. They eventually found tracks that dragged a hoof and perused him knowing full well he was just as dangerous if he charged.
When they sighted the huge bull the f-witt wouldn't listen to the plan took off after him thinking he would just stand there and be shot in the head. When the bull charged he snapped off saplings and low scrub like matchsticks and could gallop just as fast as a healthy bull stirred up.
The bull was stopped in his tracks from a well placed off hand shot from an expensive big bore double rifle by the senior guide who was a fair distance back, the bull had to be finished off with a 2nd shot as he was still trying to get at the fool who sh-t himself and froze. His 308 still had the safety on and would of surely been killed or maimed for life by a scrub bull that had only 3 good legs.
The guide told them before they came up the absolute minimum rifle to take was a 300 WM but strongly advised a bigger callabour, I'm sure the double was a 460 Rigby from memory.

Anyway, Cecil is dead and I heard today the brother to that lion was poached so the saga has not finished.
Could get very nasty before its finished.

I hope so Neil, if the reports are to believed. Hopefully it also exposes the USA authorities turning a blind eye to it all these years.

I have no problem with genuine culling of the herd so to speak, when such is obviously justified, or anyone profiting from it legally, but anyone let alone an experienced 'hunter' like this guy paying for a hunt in a place like Zimbabwe, thinking that would buy him a valid get out of jail free card can suffer the consequences.

Interesting Rudy, my view does not change tho (not that that matters).
If I could find the article I read years ago a very simular thing happened here in the northern territory.
Some rich Sydney sider wanted to impress his mates and new wife by shouting them a game hunt. Long bull sh-t story short, this fool paid massive money to hunt and kill a wild scrub bull or 2.
Turned up with a 308 and a lot of attitude and the guide told them to go home , money talks so these so called guides looked for days for this old bull they knew who had a lame leg from fighting in his earlier life. They eventually found tracks that dragged a hoof and perused him knowing full well he was just as dangerous if he charged.
When they sighted the huge bull the f-witt wouldn't listen to the plan took off after him thinking he would just stand there and be shot in the head. When the bull charged he snapped off saplings and low scrub like matchsticks and could gallop just as fast as a healthy bull stirred up.
The bull was stopped in his tracks from a well placed off hand shot from an expensive big bore double rifle by the senior guide who was a fair distance back, the bull had to be finished off with a 2nd shot as he was still trying to get at the fool who sh-t himself and froze. His 308 still had the safety on and would of surely been killed or maimed for life by a scrub bull that had only 3 good legs.
The guide told them before they came up the absolute minimum rifle to take was a 300 WM but strongly advised a bigger callabour, I'm sure the double was a 460 Rigby from memory.

Anyway, Cecil is dead and I heard today the brother to that lion was poached so the saga has not finished.
Could get very nasty before its finished.
I'm sitting on the fence on this one. Not sure how much the media has blown it out of proportion. I have no interest whatsoever in all that African big game stuff, or guided hunts in general, but I have a good mate that does. By his accounts it's usually good for the community and the money and meat go to good use. Who knows who's at fault here, either the guides, or if the hunter knew what was goin on then he is to blame as well. Either way it was a pretty low act to lure an animal with a tracking collar away from a sanctuary in the name of money.

luvin these things my friggin filter was on hard beyond my arms wrist powers geezz get old n weak i even tried me big grips but no go just squashing the body case so down to repco 20 bucks a big extension onto my big torque wrench & jobs easy in past i used rope leather belts and even driven screw driver though filter body to get traction

Two Way Oil Filter Wrench

boxve409.jpg

luvin these things my friggin filter was on hard beyond my arms wrist powers geezz get old n weak i even tried me big grips but no go just squashing the body case so down to repco 20 bucks a big extension onto my big torque wrench & jobs easy in past i used rope leather belts and even driven screw driver though filter body to get traction

Two Way Oil Filter Wrench

View attachment 438986
Ive had ones for years, needed it for the cruiser, best ive ever had

The hole dentist dude thing gets worse the more you read, not much this guy hasn't killed by the looks of it...The one truth out of all this I guess is there are thousands more just like him!, will it ever stop? I doubt it money talks!...
689978-46f2ab6e-3635-11e5-a64b-2779fb4d3b8b.jpg ac280cca-8741-4a12-9025-757cdf924f58_crop_646x339_0,26_resize_1200x630_format_jpeg_inline_yes.jpg

Giving the chain a rub on my 211, do I know what I'm doing no not at all! :eek:... 1st thing I say to anyone new to hand filing is use a file guide! nothing wrong with a guide they help keep you consistent!... I hope this may help someone hand file better ya never know? ,it's all about repetitive practice and there are many ways of doing it this is just one way and works for me is all :)...

Don't they have hoon laws in your part of the world?

If you did that here they'd lock you up, confiscate your vehicle and crush it, and sacrifice your first born....

Haha yes they do have hoon laws here but she never see's the open road in QLD!..The old beast is only registered in the chainsaw state as you can see by the number plate where spinning the wheels is legal and stuff :D haha....

32.JPG 33.jpg

Back