the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390747288050
got new bar but havent seen one of these before, dont like the fact i cant roll the bar

Actually Peter the design is not a bad idea, the off set Banana tip doesn't get as much chain slap on the under side as a normal tip would. I know of a number of racers that swear by those tips in the rips

Actually Peter the design is not a bad idea, the off set Banana tip doesn't get as much chain slap on the under side as a normal tip would. I know of a number of racers that swear by those tips in the rips
im a bit happier about it now, still a strange looking bar, says on there that they cant be rotated
thanks for the tip on it

[QUOTE="peter92, post: 5478635, member: 83159"...............................thanks for the tip on it[/QUOTE]

On a roll....lol :yes:

Ive got a pine to cut down 20''base, 21/2 feet away from the fence, ive heard they can split up the guts when cutting them
any advice would be good, thanks

What sort of pine? Just a radiata, or some sort of cypress?
Radiata doesn't want to split unless it's got issues, but it can fiber pull if you are cutting down near the root flare. That can get a bit exciting - so you just tag the first inch on the outside of the hinge on both sides. It's about 1 in a 1000 that want to, so I wouldn't get too stressed. Just don't stand with a leg either side of a root right next to your hinge! (You shouldn't be standing there as it goes down anyway)

Cypress can be pretty horrid if it's got a lean, unless I've got a few to do in a row and can get a feel for them I'm more inclined to bore cut them and set my hinge that way. Just leave a back strap and tag it to release the tree.
Hell, if I've just got one to do, and it's a bit of a leaner, I'll probably do this regardless of species.

Ive got a pine to cut down 20''base, 21/2 feet away from the fence, ive heard they can split up the guts when cutting them
any advice would be good, thanks

If I am worried that a trunk will split, especially when I'm in the tree, what I do is I will wrap it with tie down ratchet straps and tighten them up with the ratchet.....and at least double wrap them....they are rated at 1000kg, there is no way the trunk can split with that on, and will place the first one about 300mm above or below the cut. If the wrap is on the piece being felled, make sure it isn't going to fall on your ratchet and stuff it...

What sort of pine? Just a radiata, or some sort of cypress?
Radiata doesn't want to split unless it's got issues, but it can fiber pull if you are cutting down near the root flare. That can get a bit exciting - so you just tag the first inch on the outside of the hinge on both sides. It's about 1 in a 1000 that want to, so I wouldn't get too stressed. Just don't stand with a leg either side of a root right next to your hinge! (You shouldn't be standing there as it goes down anyway)

Cypress can be pretty horrid if it's got a lean, unless I've got a few to do in a row and can get a feel for them I'm more inclined to bore cut them and set my hinge that way. Just leave a back strap and tag it to release the tree.
Hell, if I've just got one to do, and it's a bit of a leaner, I'll probably do this regardless of species.
Thanks, prity sure its a Cypress, and dead strait. thanks for the help

The 'Ol dribble thread is rather quiet lately!
Everyone must be out hunting wascally wabbitts....... Or maybe controlling the feral cat population.

Me....... I'm just working hard to stay in front of the escalating living costs, imposed on us by our local councils & and government a$&holes!
yes i was wondering that myself, unless its too cold for them, been quiet for awhile now, thought they maybe away or something

Well- if it's straight it should be a piece of piss. Just cut it down normally.
They'll only split if they fall before you get your hinge set just right.
no worries will do, its a neighbors tree and its getting too big and close to my house, just got to miss the clothes line and shed, piece of cake

The 'Ol dribble thread is rather quiet lately!
Everyone must be out hunting wascally wabbitts....... Or maybe controlling the feral cat population.

Me....... I'm just working hard to stay in front of the escalating living costs, imposed on us by our local councils & and government a$&holes!

Doing the work thing myself, just trying to make up for what washed away and stay ahead of the same things you are.
I'm succeeding I think but success is a long way off and I'm getting older every day.

Latest posts

Back