the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the secret to swinging red gums please fellas? They are beating me up on current boundary fence gum job. Tried a soft Dutchman on compression side of face to help get the party started plus a sis wheel on the tension side of face hoping to encourage it to hold on. Then wedging the byjeesus out of the compression side of backcut to persuade the ****ers to start moving bc I am too scared to take off more holding wood. One yesterday took about 10mins to commit, pulled some root out but still the fibres seem so brittle they snap before they can swing the tree much. Came too close to snotting the fence yesterday. Could keep a 10t bottle jack handy and forget about swinging red gums but keen to learn better faster ways. Pine it aint.

The outer race of both bearings is one piece.....it has nice rolled centre so no hope with a bearing puller....it is inserted into the housing of the lower control arm...

My decent sized pin punches with a 4lb hammer are not moving the outer race one little bit...

Hmmm....plan B, but I haven't got a plan B.View attachment 481181
Lay some weld on it then throw some water on it, it should crack , then drive it out.
Thanski

I can't weld for siht so never bought a welder.

I do have a plumbers gas burner thingy though.
Oxy heat on the outside of the housing would be the next best thing, MAP gas burner maybe, but just a nice dollop of dogsh*t electric weld is the best. If you get a bearing inner or outer ring red hot & quench it with water it will crack.
Ta

Oxy heat on the outside of the housing would be the next best thing, MAP gas burner maybe, but just a nice dollop of dogsh*t electric weld is the best. If you get a bearing inner or outer ring red hot & quench it with water it will crack.
Ta

You have given me plan C.....

Trying B first

Thanks

What's the secret to swinging red gums please fellas? They are beating me up on current boundary fence gum job. Tried a soft Dutchman on compression side of face to help get the party started plus a sis wheel on the tension side of face hoping to encourage it to hold on. Then wedging the byjeesus out of the compression side of backcut to persuade the ****ers to start moving bc I am too scared to take off more holding wood. One yesterday took about 10mins to commit, pulled some root out but still the fibres seem so brittle they snap before they can swing the tree much. Came too close to snotting the fence yesterday. Could keep a 10t bottle jack handy and forget about swinging red gums but keen to learn better faster ways. Pine it aint.

very hard, the short fuse grain on reddys means they go bang before they'll turn, best get rope up high to persuade it over the way you want

oh watch it dont grab your bar :) in the cut n take your saw

Plan B no good.....inner diameter of race just a mm or two too small to get the puller lined up proper.

Not sure if I'll be able to get the outer bearing race hot enough whilst it's fixed in the hub but will give it a go and see if I can catch the car on fire at the same time......bucket of water may come in handy for that as well as dousing the bearing.

Plan B no good.....inner diameter of race just a mm or two too small to get the puller lined up proper.

Not sure if I'll be able to get the outer bearing race hot enough whilst it's fixed in the hub but will give it a go and see if I can catch the car on fire at the same time......bucket of water may come in handy for that as well as dousing the bearing.

a few bottles of wine and talk to it dirty

I'd be calling a mate with a welder.
Thangsk

Soaked bearing in cloudy ammonia 20g/ltr...poured a further 2 ltrs over it.

Smashed it with 2 good quality pin punches (first one broke) and a good chisel...with 4lb hammer

No noticeable temperature decrease at all.

Didn't work and didn't look like it would as the bearing didn't even cool down.

Can't find my propane burner head that goes on my gas bottle

Latest posts

Back