the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its just about time to press it in to service again for this years firewood
Until being kidnapped and smuggled out of the country, it grew up about 100m from these gulley gums. I bet if you show it these pics, it might just weep some bar oil.IMG_20150127_114635907_HDR.jpg whiteBarrelTrunks.jpg salignaTrunksPlusWhite.jpg

tmp_3334-img_20160520_092032744_hdr190070295-jpg.504173

If you show it that last pic, of dolly playing in Husky's home turf, before you get at the firewood, it should be one angry husky and will need to take it out on your firewood logs.

Does anyone know if fastigata can be cca treated please? Some biggish barrels in this stand I want to mill for cattle yard lumber and barn poles.
In case anyone is interested, although it's probably something most of you guys know already, I found this Aussie wood durability pdf great:
http://www.fwpa.com.au/images/marketaccess/PN04.1004.pdf

This one on fastigata says the sapwood can be treated, but doesn't mention heartwood.
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/368144/Eucalyptus-fastigata.pdf

Unfortunately, it looks to be a timber that's not the best for firewood nor particularly durable when exposed to weather and certainly not in-ground. Unless it can be treated, I guess it's a speciality indoor timber only and while denser than some timbers we have used as flooring here, not in the same league as saligna. I think I'll ring around the treatment guys and see if anyone knows or wants to have a crack and see.

Surprised how much and quickly the saligna reacts to metal, or perhaps it is the other way around?

Surprised how much and quickly the saligna reacts to metal, or perhaps it is the other way around?

It's the tannic acid reacting with the steel, Sydney blue gum makes some of the most beautiful red to deep red flooring, & once dry very hard, are your trees insect damage free, as over here they get a huge grub in them that bores throughout the lower 2/3 of the tree & makes for low recovery once sawn so the majority of the logs go to pallets where the lower grade is acceptable.
Tanks

I'm amazed at how strong it is. Even wet. I was cutting a butt log free that was sidehill and I was on the safe side and left less than a square inch of wood in the cut on about a .6m trunk and that bloody log would not release. Had a digger there and we chained the far end and wiggled the hell out of it and eventually it yielded. We could hardly believe that tiny amount of wood could put up so much of a fight.

afternoon dribble viewers.. yesterdays excitement for the day was our new melting/holding furnace arriving.

need some serious lifting gear.

there was a little furnace here.. some how we have to get the big fella into here.

the main part of the furnace. 45 tons. melts 4 ton of ally an hour and holds 6 ton in the other half of the chamber.

had to piss the dolly off and move the furnace to the back of the float so once backed in can lift it off with the overhead crane and the red beast.

the last two axles can unlock for tight turns. ( is that right Jason?) but one of the axles free balled going up the drive opposite our drive and wouldnt snap back into position.

lots of reversing back and forth trying to get the axle to pivot around but it just wouldnt. i was amazed the grunt of the truck pulling and pushing this trailer with this weight on it and an axle sitting . and how a tyre or 2 didnt pop off the bead.. vids to come late of this!!

so eventually they picked up the rear of the float and we could kick the axle around straight and all was good again.

burn outs and skids..lol.. there goes a few kays of rubber.

float just made it in the loading dock.

skates on one end beast of the other.

a very tight squeeze pushing it into position..

from the other side.

this furnace has become our smallest now..

just about in position.

today was loading on part of the flute and loading bucket.

vids next.. and more pics friday once a few more bits get bolted on. :)

float just made it in the loading dock.

skates on one end beast of the other.

a very tight squeeze pushing it into position..

from the other side.

this furnace has become our smallest now..

just about in position.

today was loading on part of the flute and loading bucket.

vids next.. and more pics friday once a few more bits get bolted on. :)

gitting big things into small holes is what your good at eh Vincy

The way to get around that is to saw the largest flitch you can out of the log, pack up the ends of it, the start sawing at the top again, everything you saw will be dead straight then & stay that way.
Fanks
Thanks for this. There seems to be plenty of different ways to deal with tension that I am still trying to learn. Not sure if the learning ever stops. Perhaps as many different ways to saw a log as there are different woods and end uses/users, etc.

Latest posts

Back