the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know it was cold when the socks are solid frozen in the morning Vince, bet it was cool last night up Licola way ?

Should hit zero around 6am tomorrow I reckon.

Actually, I use this page and a few of the tabs to the right hand side of the page...it's amazing what data and forecasts they can now generate with excellent short term accuracy and pretty good over a few days I've found.

http://www.bom.gov.au/places/vic/briagolong/

"A 43-YEAR-OLD Builyan man has died in a tree-lopping accident south-west of Monto.

Workplace Health and Safety inspectors and Monto police are investigating the incident after the timber industry worker was found near Hurdle Gully Rd about 6.40pm Sunday.

It's believed the man's colleagues reported the man missing Sunday afternoon and he was later found dead with significant injuries as a result of being struck by a tree.

A police media spokesman said there did not appear to be any suspicious circumstances"

http://www.news-mail.com.au/news/workplace-health-and-safety-investigating-timber-w/3043807/
************************************************************************************************

Thinking of family and friends.
I knew the bloke, he was keen on getting into racing and raced against us a few times. RIP old mate

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

I've tried welding heaps, used to work in a structural steel fabrication yard as a kid.

Last weld I did, about 10 years ago, not including the wheel bearing, I was attempting to weld two rebar rods together that were overlapped, to make one length for a wall brace.

I did the best 6" long weld anyone could ever imagine, right up the middle of one of the bars. Of course I totally missed the join, but the weld looked great though.

I stick to what I know, and welding is not one of them.

i try and make it as easy as possible.

#1 a VERY good auto helmet. My eyes are clear but suffer badly in low light
#2 a good welder. I have a BOC/Kemppi 250amp mig welder
#3 prep. prep prep prep
#4 horizontal welds fillet and butt are the easiest and thick material is more forgiving than thin.... I suck at in postion welding!

i try and make it as easy as possible.

#1 a VERY good auto helmet. My eyes are clear but suffer badly in low light
#2 a good welder. I have a BOC/Kemppi 250amp mig welder
#3 prep. prep prep prep
#4 horizontal welds fillet and butt are the easiest and thick material is more forgiving than thin.... I suck at in postion welding!

Your welds looked great

What's the warranty terms on new saws in your neck of the woods please fellas? I ask because I just bought a 395xp off a local dealer. The first time I have ever bought a new saw from a NZ dealer. The price was reasonable, but what swung it for me was the 2 year warranty, even for commercial use, and even if I mill with it. Never thought such a warranty existed.

What's the warranty terms on new saws in your neck of the woods please fellas? I ask because I just bought a 395xp off a local dealer. The first time I have ever bought a new saw from a NZ dealer. The price was reasonable, but what swung it for me was the 2 year warranty, even for commercial use, and even if I mill with it. Never thought such a warranty existed.

Benne would be the best to ask that question re Stihl, but Ive been told by two Stihl dealers that they look at the wear and tear and make an assessment on that, ball park 3 months commercial and ball park 2 years domestic.....and sometimes you can double the warranty by buying a Stihl 2t oil at the time of purchase, but I don't really think the warranty is worth much at all really, too many loop holes for them to claim neglect I feel.

Benne would be the best to ask that question re Stihl, but Ive been told by two Stihl dealers that they look at the wear and tear and make an assessment on that, ball park 3 months commercial and ball park 2 years domestic.....and sometimes you can double the warranty by buying a Stihl 2t oil at the time of purchase, but I don't really think the warranty is worth much at all really, too many loop holes for them to claim neglect I feel.
I hear you. I think this dealer might be a good'n, but I guess who really knows until/if the SHTF and I need to invoke the warranty. He wanted to make sure I'd be tuning it a little fat and running 33:1 when milling, which I found quite interesting . I may even make sure he's happy with my tuning before I even leave the store with it (supposed to collect it in a few days).

Oh, and after a stern lecture by Headmaster Hasbeen, I stuck with a 3/8" B&C. Who am I to argue with someone who has forgotten more than I'll ever know and probably has forearms the size of my thighs. All joking aside, I really appreciate the input of all you good buggers. It's a pretty good 3-saw plan now: 241, 7900, 395.

I hear you. I think this dealer might be a good'n, but I guess who really knows until/if the SHTF and I need to invoke the warranty. He wanted to make sure I'd be tuning it a little fat and running 33:1 when milling, which I found quite interesting . I may even make sure he's happy with my tuning before I even leave the store with it (supposed to collect it in a few days).

from the manual.

the carburettor is adjusted to a basic setting when the saw is
tested at the factory.
The basic setting is: H = 1 1/2 turns
respective L = 1 1/4 turns.

To provide the engine’s components with a good level of
lubrication (running in) the carburettor should be set for a
richer fuel mixture for the first 3-4 hours of operating. To
obtain this adjust the overspeed 6-700 rpm under the
recommended max. overspeed.

1 year commercial. 2 years homeowner/farm and 4 double warranty on home/landowner products used for home and landowner use.

1 year commercial. 2 years homeowner/farm and 4 double warranty on home/landowner products used for home and landowner use.
What about milling? I was really surprised by still the 2 year warranty even after telling him it'll be used for milling. Not sure if it is a HuskyNZ thing or something he is prepared to wear himself (or maybe he won't be around in 2 years and knows it).

If it's a GB long bar they don't recommend running 3/8 on them because the bar is so much thicker then a standard bar that the 3/8 as it gets sharpened back then starts to struggle cut a wide enough kerf to stop the bar from binding. I asked them about it when I bought mine
Just a wee follow up on this. They've told me they run the bars with .404 as standard but it's ok to swap the noses to 3/8 and that the smaller kerf will still be enough. But I did not clarify if they were talking long bars or some other type, although we were talking 42 and 60" bars and the only ones of at least the 60" length I can find on their site are the 'extra long bars'.

What about milling? I was really surprised by still the 2 year warranty even after telling him it'll be used for milling. Not sure if it is a HuskyNZ thing or something he is prepared to wear himself (or maybe he won't be around in 2 years and knows it).
He'd be fairly confident you wouldn't be milling ironbark like we have over here that kills huskies.
Thansk

He'd be fairly confident you wouldn't be milling ironbark like we have over here that kills huskies.
Thansk
The feet on a bed I made 20 years ago and still have, were cut from and old ironbark sleeper. Well, maybe the the first two were cut. On the last two what was left of the blade just burned its way through. Blade wouldn't even cut pine after that.

Latest posts

Back