the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so if i can only put a max 18'' bar on the 261 whats the next best one that will take the 20'' bar
also when i tell the insurance company i want a saw that has a 20'' bar could the dealer just put one on the 261 and say its fine
i would also like to thank every one for helping and giving advise as i what to get the best saw to replace my old one
regards peter

just been looking at some threads here and just wondering
my old saw was 031 av and new replacement saw , you guys say is ms 261
could the insurance company offer me something other than the 261
reason im asking is to find out as much info on the saws so that when they offer me the replacement saw i can say yes or no
regards peter

just been looking at some threads here and just wondering
my old saw was 031 av and new replacement saw , you guys say is ms 261
could the insurance company offer me something other than the 261
reason im asking is to find out as much info on the saws so that when they offer me the replacement saw i can say yes or no
regards peter

We only suggest the 261 because it is the best quality stihl in the 50cc range... there are other models to like the 250, 251, 291 which are home owner/farmer grade saws and are constructed mostly of plastic.

The 261 will run a 20" bar with no problem it just won't cut like a 70cc saw... some people just prefer a 18" bar because the saw feels more balanced in your hands. But if you are going to cut timber 20" and larger regularly I would suggest a bigger saw.

Here is a site with a bit more info STIHL Products | STIHL have a look through all the models and see what you think.

Last edited:
thanks for the reply and the link, i will be asking for to 261 as ive been looking at the vids and it does look like a great saw, would love to have the mods done, it just slices through the wood like butter
should here something by friday
regards peter

thanks for the reply and the link, i will be asking for to 261 as ive been looking at the vids and it does look like a great saw, would love to have the mods done, it just slices through the wood like butter
should here something by friday
regards peter

ask them for a cheque and get a masterminded 261 and hang on for the ride

if there willing to just give you a cheque then have a look at the makita 6401 or 7901 more powerful than a 261 and cheaper too while still being pro grade saws

i already asked about the cheque but they have there own supplier for the stihl saw, but would still love the mod
i didnt know you could mod saws that much and they sound nice to
regards peter

don't let them pull the wool over you're eyes you lost a saw with a magnesium crankcase you want a saw with a magnesium crankcase

yeah, i was looking at that, thats why i app every bodys comments and when they come back with what saw they are offering me, if its not the 261, that will be the one im going to get
regards peter

If they offer you an MS361/362 I wouldnt turn my nose up at it either. Sits at 59cc and has a 3 in it just like your old 031AV. Also a good saw for a 1 saw plan. Most people doing a 2 saw plan go for 50cc and 70cc.

I would decline a MS311 or a MS391 IMHO. Pity they dont give you the cash, I am sure we (the forum) could set you up out of the US and you'd have some change.

Regards
Graham

28" ES light bar

Hi everybody.

Slight change of direction. What is the best way for us Aussies to pick up a 28" Stihl Rollomatic ES light bar. I havent seen anything in the local Stihl shop. I have a new toy coming :msp_wink: and want to have a 28" bar in the lineup.

Graham

im sure i would get something relly good from the usa for the money but out of luck im afraid
i still cant believe the price differance between here and the usa
regards peter

im sure i would get something relly good from the usa for the money but out of luck im afraid
i still cant believe the price differance between here and the usa
regards peter

i can believe it the cost of doing business in this country is disgusting if you can't make 100% or more on what comes in the back door you go broke

I've replied to your PM Peter, hope it helps. I've tried to outline a bit of strategy for you as well. I think that if you play your cards right you can do quite well out of this, which is fair IMHO since some scum stole your saw.

MS 261 is $1249.00
MS 362 is $1449.00

I am worried they will try and pitch an MS311 to you, just my gut feel. That saw is $1099.00.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back