the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well there you have it, 2 hours, looks like the 070 copy is a lemon, so by putting the 090 kit on it will become a bigger lemon.
I'm guessing you had to rob the replacement parts off a doner 090 just to keep the thing going.

Thats probbly why bob's reluctant to run his :rolleyes2:

Well there you have it, 2 hours, looks like the 070 copy is a lemon, so by putting the 090 kit on it will become a bigger lemon.
I'm guessing you had to rob the replacement parts off a doner 090 just to keep the thing going.

The only genuine stihl part I used was a clutch spring, but shortly after I couldn't stop the clutch assembly spinning on the shaft.
I bought a "Polaris" aftermarket clutch from Singapore...so far it's holding.
Loctite, JB Weld & a hammer fixed a few problems.

I've only ran It for a few minutes since the last repair, I don't want to push my luck.. besides It's not much fun to use..my 80cc saws will give it a hiding :D

gmax,,, how many hours work to have that much failure, matt said it was way less than satisfactory but didn,t know it was that bad.

Yup. It was DEFINATELY that bad Neil. Absolute POS. I reckon I only run a tank through it and it never ran right the whole time. You know it was pretty bad when I actually felt guilty giving it to Wayne. I think I even apologised. At least he got the thing running "sort of" properly :)

Went and looked at some new trail bikes for my boy on sat, he is about to get that ''L'' plate.
looked at suzuki DR series, 4 stroke bikes.
he quoted me ride away prices, obviously less insurance.
DR-Z250 $7500.00
DR-Z400E $8500.00
DR650SE $8500.00
all 3 street legal for L platers and i liked the 650 the best. all 3 have electric start, things have changed from my L plate days on my new DT 175 yammi.
How do these prices stack up in other areas or is that about the run of them.

I'd go the DR-Z400E Neil. From memory the 650 is an older spec, single cam motor whereas the 400 is basically all new tech and dual overhead cam (as in the last 10-14 years), just like the YZF/WR Yamahas and CRF Hondas. The 400 may also even be 5 valve? We don't have any local Suzuki dealers but those prices sound fine to me.
In SA our L Platers can't run over 250cc without approval. For example if you are 6'6" there are no 250cc framed bikes to suit so you can get a bigger bike. Your young bloke said NSW runs on "power to weight" ratios which makes a lot more sense than our stupid laws.
Guys I went to school with all bought these Suzuki RGV250's so road legal but basically 2 stroke circuit bikes with blinkers. For 250cc they were frighteningly quick...

Actually Wayne I think your 80cc saws would give a GENUINE 070 a hiding too :D

Yeah Matt I'm no fan of the 070.. just a big heavy slug but I'm keeping quiet about the 090..........:D
At least they're easy to work on...again and again and again :hmm3grin2orange:

Beechworth to Woods Point/Matlock to Beechworth (next day) on friday night by Beemer. With the weather in the 30's, twas just too good.

AL as soon as i seen that shack and bowser i knew it was woods point i used to trout fish and go look for samber up there back in the late 80s, is the oil pub still standing or was it lost in the fires,
still remember the gold nuggets in the display case. :still_dreaming:

The pub? Yeah mate she is still standing. Had the customary shout to tip some coin back into the pub. The servo and the general store have both shut down.

The pub? Yeah mate she is still standing. Had the customary shout to tip some coin back into the pub. The servo and the general store have both shut down.

Great shots Al. We used to go down to shoot at the Woods Point gun club each year - top group of blokes there. My youngest lived at Woods Point for three months after the fires, working to cut a fire break around the Thompson Dam. He was on a saw and was off sided by a ferkin big excavator which heped with log positioning etc. He was not much more than a kid out of school but he learnt an awful lot very quickly.
Beautiful country, thanks for sharing.

Al.

Yup. It was DEFINATELY that bad Neil. Absolute POS. I reckon I only run a tank through it and it never ran right the whole time. You know it was pretty bad when I actually felt guilty giving it to Wayne. I think I even apologised. At least he got the thing running "sort of" properly :)

I'd go the DR-Z400E Neil. From memory the 650 is an older spec, single cam motor whereas the 400 is basically all new tech and dual overhead cam (as in the last 10-14 years), just like the YZF/WR Yamahas and CRF Hondas. The 400 may also even be 5 valve? We don't have any local Suzuki dealers but those prices sound fine to me.
In SA our L Platers can't run over 250cc without approval. For example if you are 6'6" there are no 250cc framed bikes to suit so you can get a bigger bike. Your young bloke said NSW runs on "power to weight" ratios which makes a lot more sense than our stupid laws.
Guys I went to school with all bought these Suzuki RGV250's so road legal but basically 2 stroke circuit bikes with blinkers. For 250cc they were frighteningly quick...

Thanks for that advise regarding the trail bikes, jen went and got some prices at yamaha and honda in port macquarie today, havn't been told the results as yet.
I liked the 650 as it was a bit lower, crused better on road and i thought i might ride it a little myself, the 400 and 250 are geared lower and bloody high for a height chalenged man like myself, thankfuly my boys will be way taller.

the 070 copy, i think wayne and yourself have sumed it up spot on,,,,, leave it alone at any price.

Actually Wayne I think your 80cc saws would give a GENUINE 070 a hiding too :D

Matt you might be right but I have a real strong 070AV that I run that seems to me, at least, pretty good. I also have some other modern saws which I use and I am not so sure there is much difference. Certainly in weight and chain speed, but the big .404 chain on the 070 seems to go OK. I got a few 090's and I really can't tell the diiference in smaller wood to the 070.
I am talking about a couple of 064's, J'red 930 (bigger, I know but similar class), Husky 181 and 288 and some big Poulan Countervibes. I know it won't run with my 066's (modded and standard) and 394/5's and I am sure Al's hot Huskies would be better but I got a feeling the old 070 would surprise you.:msp_smile:

With a 24" bar this is a nicely balanced saw for you young fellers.
P1011012-1.jpg

Al.

Beechworth to Woods Point/Matlock to Beechworth (next day) on friday night by Beemer. With the weather in the 30's, twas just too good.

Off to Canberra next friday staying at Queanbeyan.

Nice pics! I used to rack up a lot of miles 10~15 years ago, but with running a business it seems there's less and less time for it :-( My last decent ride was autumn last year sydney-melb-great ocean rd-adelaide-mildura-wagga-sydney. With the weather warming up I'm hoping to get a few long rides in, but it seems like 3 dayer's are more doable time wise with work. That makes for some pretty long days in the saddle though.

I took a look at silverton but it seemed like a bit of a stretch for a 3 dayer. Those mining towns in north vic look achievable though. Loved the pics!

Shaun

attachment.php

Thanks for that advise regarding the trail bikes, jen went and got some prices at yamaha and honda in port macquarie today, havn't been told the results as yet.
I liked the 650 as it was a bit lower, crused better on road and i thought i might ride it a little myself, the 400 and 250 are geared lower and bloody high for a height chalenged man like myself, thankfuly my boys will be way taller.

Hey no flies on the 650 Neil. She's just a bit more of an older design that's all. More of a cruiser than a dirt bike. I reckon your eldest fella would be cutting backflips on it in the first week :D

Matt you might be right but I have a real strong 070AV that I run that seems to me, at least, pretty good. I also have some other modern saws which I use and I am not so sure there is much difference. Certainly in weight and chain speed, but the big .404 chain on the 070 seems to go OK. I got a few 090's and I really can't tell the diiference in smaller wood to the 070.
I am talking about a couple of 064's, J'red 930 (bigger, I know but similar class), Husky 181 and 288 and some big Poulan Countervibes. I know it won't run with my 066's (modded and standard) and 394/5's and I am sure Al's hot Huskies would be better but I got a feeling the old 070 would surprise you.:msp_smile:

Al.

You could also be right Al but I've run a few 070's and seen a few 090's run and can't say I've ever been blown away. I suppose you could stick an 8 foot bar on them and they still wouldn't slow down though :)

Great shots Al. We used to go down to shoot at the Woods Point gun club each year - top group of blokes there. My youngest lived at Woods Point for three months after the fires, working to cut a fire break around the Thompson Dam. He was on a saw and was off sided by a ferkin big excavator which heped with log positioning etc. He was not much more than a kid out of school but he learnt an awful lot very quickly.
Beautiful country, thanks for sharing.

Al.

No probs Al.

Yeah the young bloke would have grown up quickly in some respects.

It is one of my favourite visits in Victoria. We have been given use of this cabin for future use so plan to do some more trips back through there. Next time we will stay more than the one night using it as a base camp and travel to the Walhala area etc.

018-1.jpg

I am biased as I own a WR400 nice mix of power and lighter to pick up.
the electric leg is good if you stall while climbing a hill, kick starting on a steep slope can be a challenge.
The two smaller ones you can pretend you are doing motor cross, trails bike, enduro, and ride it to the shop.
The big one is a touring bike and I would not enjoy trying to play dirt bike with it, it would be ok to use as a farm bike

The CR hondas are a race engine and you can budget $1700.00 for a top end rebuild every 50 hours of riding.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back