the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New Zealand whitebait

Wonderful whitebait
Prices for 1kg of whitebait
* Seamart, Auckland: $99.95.
* St Pierre's Auckland: $90 to $100, less if bought in bulk.
* Seafood Bazaar, Hamilton: $75.
* City Seafood Market, Christchurch: $100 plus.
* Hoon Hay Seafoods, Christchurch: $95.
* Albert St Fish Supply, Greymouth: no whitebait in stock.
* Kings Fish Market, Invercargill: $95.
* Internet: $70 plus $10 courier.

Thats the go easyer than cuttin wood.

I guess GB bars are like Carlton chain is here now. Lots of loops are still made here, but more Carlton chain is being made in China now as well. Alibaba lists Carlton chain and Carton is rebranded under WoodlandPro and lots of other names. Blount owns both Carlton and Oregon and they are HQ'd here in Portland, OR, but it is just a parent/shell company. They own companies that make stuff in the US, Canada, China, and Europe. There are still guys here at the Milwaukie, OR plant making Carlton chain, but I have to wonder how much of it is really made here any more, or if they are just pressing together China fab'd steel.

I looked into GB manufacturing in Oz a few years ago after they sold out, and I could not find anything solid on where they were shaping/forging, cutting or plating the steel and bars. Guys are working at some GB plants in Oz, doing something. Spray painting the bars? Packaging them? Or rolling steel and stamping them out? Hard to say what.

Sadly a lot of steel product companies in this area have moved manufacturing to China. Traeger pellet BBQ grills is a classic example. They were invented here by a family of German immigrants and built in a small town in Oregon (the state). They built up a brand name and had quality. Then they sold out and the manufacturing was all moved to China. All that is left here is the parent company, the sales force, and tech support. They used to have thick steel and were welded up. Now they are made from bolted together crappy thin steel. Look on the Traeger web site and there is a long story about the Oregon blacksmithing and pellet grill history but nothing about moving ops to China or that the boxes all say Made in China on them now. Similar to the Oregon (the company), Griffiths & Beerens, and Carlton web sites... tradition and history, but little on current facts. Built in deception at best.

cant prove they havent reopend elsewere but about 18 months or so ago i drove past the gb factory in sushine, it was desserted with a nice big forsale sign out the front, had posted a pic here somewhere but i cant seem to find it, must have been on an old phone

and geez a bloke wanders off for a couple of months and then has to read 100 odd pages to catch up, been busy down here working on the melbourne regional rail link and buying too many toys, barely touched the makita apart from the odd camping trip, blew the kart up twice, turboed the patrol and waiting very impaitently for the coppers to approve my firearms licence

Had a good one today. A mate of mine is a truck driver and a few months back his boss got him a brand spanker 600 odd HP Kenworth with one of the new common rail engines, Road Train rated.
Anyway they had problems from the get go and being all computerised the diagnostics program wasn't showing that anything was wrong, even though there obviously was. It was blowing a heap of black smoke and using way more diesel than it should be. In the end they got an old guy down from Queensland who did an "old school" diagnostics on it and found it had a pin hole in the fuel rail which was pumping way too much diesel into # 5 cylinder. They whacked a new rail on it at 10,000km and all good.
Yesterday he's coming back from Melbourne way and all of a sudden it drops a heap of power and starts missing. He dropped into a truck joint somewhere and they've whacked it on the dyno and it's down 30% on power. After a short inspection they've found a telescopic magnet tool chewed up in the motor and it has wrecked it. This is at 90,000km. It had been bouncing around in the engine's top end and done major piston/cam/valve damage for 80,000km.
To cut a long story short they now have to replace the whole motor. The magnet thing was not from the old guy from Queensland as all he did was diagnose the problem.

Unbelievable.

He's pretty pis*ed as he's now running around in an old clapped out piece of crap carting grain.

So you mean I have to go easy on the GB Pro Top bars I have, or flip to using all Stihl now? Sad... Forester bars used to be good too. Now they are complete crap. I hear that Husky has decided to stop using/rebranding Oregon bars and chains and they are gonna make their own. Or more likely outsource it someplace within their global empire.

Yeh I've got a brand new 20". 20" ti and 25"ti in SN mount and a .404 42" in sld. I don't want to use them now. They're going there Forrest king bars now which are a Oregon power match style bar which look to have passed the test they recon. They're running specials on there hardtops and pro tops atm. I have a 25" hard top on my 066 as I have a lot of 46rs to use up and that's going good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a good one today. A mate of mine is a truck driver and a few months back his boss got him a brand spanker 600 odd HP Kenworth with one of the new common rail engines, Road Train rated.
Anyway they had problems from the get go and being all computerised the diagnostics program wasn't showing that anything was wrong, even though there obviously was. It was blowing a heap of black smoke and using way more diesel than it should be. In the end they got an old guy down from Queensland who did an "old school" diagnostics on it and found it had a pin hole in the fuel rail which was pumping way too much diesel into # 5 cylinder. They whacked a new rail on it at 10,000km and all good.
Yesterday he's coming back from Melbourne way and all of a sudden it drops a heap of power and starts missing. He dropped into a truck joint somewhere and they've whacked it on the dyno and it's down 30% on power. After a short inspection they've found a telescopic magnet tool chewed up in the motor and it has wrecked it. This is at 90,000km. It had been bouncing around in the engine's top end and done major piston/cam/valve damage for 80,000km.
To cut a long story short they now have to replace the whole motor. The magnet thing was not from the old guy from Queensland as all he did was diagnose the problem.

Unbelievable.

He's pretty pis*ed as he's now running around in an old clapped out piece of crap carting grain.

flip all that new techno and none of it helps when the 1st year app drops a part down the spout then says nuthin cuz the boss is ogre

techno burn out

Last 3 months finds me yelling at a new computa OPs win 7 then 3 new updates for in house data stuff GIS Customer track & Finance then a new smarty pants mob phone i'm starting to fade seem each week the boffins find way of changing stuff that works and make if slower and dumber I'm becoming envious of sweet no frills Luddites

ah but today i performed open heart surgery on the office printer dropped in whole rack of printer carriage and parts ,,, It flat lined at 1st then i yelled at it some turned it off and on a few time and bingo it came back to life I gonna git an department award for that as its been dead week and half

hey i just got a RCBS rockchucker for $180 to me door $330 in LGS and $270 in melb hope it ain't a chicom knock off :mad:

Nice solid press old son. Probably need it to full length size those 7mm/300 Win Mag rounds :)
Had a funny one today. Grower I know has an old Tikka .22/250 and whacks a fair few rounds out of it. We got talking about reloading and he tells me that he's given up reloading because his reloads won't chamber properly anymore. I take a look at them and they're only sized half way down the neck. He obviously hasn't set his FL die up properly and of course the cases have stretched and won't chamber. He had thrown hundreds of reloads out that he couldn't close the bolt on! He gave the last 60 to me, I take them home after work, pull the decapping pin/sizing button part out of my FL die, whack a bit of lube on the cases, and proceed to FL size these cases that are already loaded so they'll fit in his rifle.
Silly buggar didn't know you could do that so gives me a 2,000 count box of Remington 55gn SP projectiles as a present :)

Anyone use Pro Ma MBL8 oil additive? Got a lazy lifter and want to shut it up without doing any work. Someone suggested the pro ma stuff but far out it's expensive. I'm not paying $60 for a little bottle unless it works miracles. What say yous fellas? They say it's made in Aussie so I thought I'd ask you guys.

Back