The Descriptive Process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All it took was a few good men to make fire a 4 letter word.

There was a 40ac burn in the Gorge a few yrs ago. It went well - mgmt objectives achieved. Had to look all over for a story on it.

Come to the Gorge & I will show you why I went to selling ton wood instead of scale. About 60 yrs ago there was a bad ice storm. Could not keep them in the cylinder for 41 feet. So tonwood it was.

Long ago, in another galaxy, they actually sorted at the sort yard.

So...I tried something today...I mounted my helmet cam to my hard hat and dropped some trees. I haven't uploaded them yet, so I don't really know how well it worked. I know one thing for sure...a camera on your work can bring out the tree gremlins! Knowing I had the camera on seemed more like a burden than anything. I wanted to make a vid and actually make it look like I knew what I was doing...I just kept messing up :msp_sad:. I'm a little apprehensive to post them up for pro loggers to view. One thing for sure...if they don't look good I just won't post them. About 15 min before I turned the camera on I broke my spencer tape and had to mark my tie cuts with my saw. The entire time I was thinking, "Oh geez, this is gonna raise some criticism. I'm gonna see how they look and go from there. One thing about it, there is always a better day, and I can always hope to have a little better luck.

Rabbifravitzmumblecurse...The weather forecast for today was that it would be dark and stormy. I started a batch of Old Riggin' Pants brand salsa going.

It is cloudy, but quite dry and pleasant outside, and I am now committed to hanging out INDOORS and jumping up to stir the salsa now and then, for several hours, and then another hour or so to can it.

The weather forecast was inaccurate. Imagine that!

Rabbifravitzmumblecurse...The weather forecast for today was that it would be dark and stormy. I started a batch of Old Riggin' Pants brand salsa going.

It is cloudy, but quite dry and pleasant outside, and I am now committed to hanging out INDOORS and jumping up to stir the salsa now and then, for several hours, and then another hour or so to can it.

The weather forecast was inaccurate. Imagine that!

I don't know about out your way, but out my way, the weather forecasts have been really inaccurate so far this year.

I don't know about out your way, but out my way, the weather forecasts have been really inaccurate so far this year.

Sure been the case down here this summer.

I managed to sever the tendon in my right index finger on friday. surgeon has split my finger open to re-attach it but apparently it is a very weak repair for about 3 months. The first six weeks I have to wear a plastic splint to keep it straight, as the tendon can't even support the finger yet.

So 3 months no saws, no work. :msp_unsure:

On the bright side, i'm learning a whole new skillset with my left hand, such as putting my pants on. Oh boy that took some jiggling and carrying on the first few days :smile2:

Sure been the case down here this summer.

I managed to sever the tendon in my right index finger on friday. surgeon has split my finger open to re-attach it but apparently it is a very weak repair for about 3 months. The first six weeks I have to wear a plastic splint to keep it straight, as the tendon can't even support the finger yet.

So 3 months no saws, no work. :msp_unsure:

On the bright side, i'm learning a whole new skillset with my left hand, such as putting my pants on. Oh boy that took some jiggling and carrying on the first few days :smile2:

I know all about learning new skills with a different hand...I was told that it makes your brain smarter somehow by using the other hand for things that you normally use the other hand for. I caught a falling 250lbs beam whilst saving a coworkers hide once and it crushed my left hand, had three broke fingers, a really expensive surgery that workermans comp paid for luckily, 4 pins through my fingers...I learned that even though my left hand isnt my dominant hand, it still has its own daily tasks that was hard for my right hand to learn..the night after the surgery, I remember waking up not know where my left hand was because they put local anesthesia in my left arm (they also gave me general anesthesia) and that local anesthesia takes quite awhile to wear off, anyways, I reached up with my right hand and turned on the light and my left hand was dern near touching my face, made me jump a bit haha..

I know that AS follows the pics or it didn't happen law so here are some pics during random stages of my recovery.
View attachment 284474View attachment 284475View attachment 284476

Did a thing today that I hoped to never do -- I went back to paper for field cruise data. Between hardware standards issues and operating system licensing hassles and various other problems, field computers have always been problematic. I finally just got tired of it, and decided to take a stab at doing it old-school. For the first time in I don't even remember how long, I left the truck without any computer devices at all, save my work phone and radio. It was honestly refreshing to take good notes on paper with no formatting restrictions and no crashes, to fall back into the familiar rhythm of pacing between plots, and to feel the satisfaction of coming out on the other side of the unit exactly where I expected to be. I haven't figured out a good non-digital way to do 3P cruises yet, so I'll most likely be using the computer for marking, but at least on volume/inventory type cruises, I think I may be done with electronics. This actually hurts my sense of progress, but the years just haven't brought good field computer solutions. In fact, they are barely better than they were 20 years ago. They weigh less, and the battery lasts longer, and the screens aren't as affected by temperature change or glare, but the basic tabular structure of the data hasn't changed, so neither the hardware nor the software interfaces have done so, either. I am very disappointed.

If you're curious -- THIS is the notebook I'm using. I am paper-clipping a map into the inside front cover, and rubber-banding the current page to open automatically. Left side has tree data and ground notes, right side has log data in 16-foot logs. There are spaces for 16 logs there, but I only number 1-12 since that's about the tallest I see on this ground. I would make an exception if I needed to... which is EXACTLY the sort of thing computers aren't good for and paper is.

I would love it if Moleskine would make THIS notebook in Rite-In-The-Rain paper; I wrote them several times asking for exactly that but have never received so much as a "Thank you for your interest" response. For now, I'll use the one I've got. It's a damn sight better than the stupid computers I've been doing battle with for so long, even if I DO have to commit to manual data entry later. I know I'm trading one headache for the other, but at least it means less aggravation outdoors, which is where I would rather be anyway.

Nate, are you 3P cruising by yourself?

We did it pre-datarecorder, and with big sheets of random numbers printed on write in the rain paper.
Oh, and lots of yelling. Lots.

Lookin' like we don't get a crew this year, so yeah, I'll be doing 3P solo. I've done it before, plenty, but never without a computer. I don't know that it's a good idea to try it on paper -- I'd just cover the damn sheets with paint anyway. I might try it anyway, though, just to be grudgey and all.

Hey Nate, have you tried the binders with the looseleaf? pretty handy cuz you can take the notes out and put them on your cruise report plus you don't have to carry the whole book to get wet. Just enough sheets and that's it. I've got two the big one and the little one. Recommend the little one, it's easier to work with and the rings are smaller so don't get in the way.

Oh using the individual sheets on a small tatum and then transferring to the field binder works okay too if you want a more solid writing surface.

Wes

Last edited:
Lookin' like we don't get a crew this year, so yeah, I'll be doing 3P solo. I've done it before, plenty, but never without a computer. I don't know that it's a good idea to try it on paper -- I'd just cover the damn sheets with paint anyway. I might try it anyway, though, just to be grudgey and all.

But, but but...how will you keep the random numbers secret? They need to be secret to keep the cruise unbiased.

We had a crew and a tally person who kept track of volumes hollered out and when a cruise tree was triggered. The random numbers were on a big old sheet of paper that they carried.

During deer season, we got some hunters mad because of all the yelling we had to do.

But, but but...how will you keep the random numbers secret? They need to be secret to keep the cruise unbiased.

We had a crew and a tally person who kept track of volumes hollered out and when a cruise tree was triggered. The random numbers were on a big old sheet of paper that they carried.

During deer season, we got some hunters mad because of all the yelling we had to do.

There is no such thing as random.

Had to work at the boss' farm on a fence line pushed out with dozers and an track hoe. FUN FUN! The skidder op didn't show up today so guess who had double duty :rolleyes2:! If cutting logs out of that crap wasn't exciting enough ie. dirt on logs, horrid pressures on limbs and tops and stumps...the skidding them out of that swamped up mess made up for it. It was kinda funny, my boss paid me at noon and gave me a nice bonus, knowing that the logs needed out due to incoming rain for tonight, I stayed with it for a straight 12 hours, finished it. Needless to say but I'm whooped.

Hope everyone had a good week! Cheers! :cheers: (I'm gonna watch it rain 2moro :msp_biggrin:)

Last edited:
I liked that: "...boss paid me at noon and gave me a big bonus."

Did the vacation thing (snow to 70* in New Mexico last weekend), got that all done until we go to cruise the inland passage to Alaska the last week of May. Now we are waiting for the spotted owls to finish breeding, then we have to check for little ones then we can begin thinking about going back to work. I know they changed the rules but this is Calif. and we still have to feed the barred owls, looks like lots of barred owl food
(new spotted owls) because the weather has been perfect for several weeks. By the way thiey don't prefer old growth stands or they would all move into the parks.

Latest posts

Back