The Dolmar 7910 - Snellerized Style

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I seen Brads coil mod from a few years back I wasn't really hep on the idea of separating the parts and reinstalling. Yes it made it easier to mount but not a thing I don't feel everyone can do.....so I came up with what would be needed to make the intact 272 coil work. A little messaging of the mounting holes and a little patients running the spark plug wire. Then I started at 27° like Brad had used and went from there when the saw was sluggish. I went until throttle responce was lightning quick and if the saw started good.
I have hade to advance particular saws slightly more.....that may be the saw or it may have been my marking. It's an easy mod and easy to change timing.....if you mark well.
I have also been marking flywheel for original timing and modded timing if any reason the flywheel needs pulled or stock coil reused.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

When I seen Brads coil mod from a few years back I wasn't really hep on the idea of separating the parts and reinstalling. Yes it made it easier to mount but not a thing I don't feel everyone can do.....so I came up with what would be needed to make the intact 272 coil work. A little messaging of the mounting holes and a little patients running the spark plug wire. Then I started at 27° like Brad had used and went from there when the saw was sluggish. I went until throttle responce was lightning quick and if the saw started good.
I have hade to advance particular saws slightly more.....that may be the saw or it may have been my marking. It's an easy mod and easy to change timing.....if you mark well.
I have also been marking flywheel for original timing and modded timing if any reason the flywheel needs pulled or stock coil reused.

So Rich, do you stop advancing when it feels good, or is there a point when you know you went to far?

Dan,
That pretty much what I do. I work for the fastest throttle responce with the least amount of timing. The magic number seems to be 30°, but have went to 33° on a couple. You'll know right away on initial start up if it's right or needs bumped.

If you over advance you loose power and responce, so when the saw is as fast as you can blink I stop.....lol

Gotcha. Thanks Rich.
I was kinda worried that the saw may feel great, but be detonating and cook the saw.
Sounds like I'm good on the ones I've done.
I guess someday I'll have to keep going on an older saw just so I know what too much is like...

You can do it on any one to see how it feel....it won't take long for you to shut it off and put the numbers where they were. Trust me....you won't run it long enough to hurt it.....it's that much different.....

You can do it on any one to see how it feel....it won't take long for you to shut it off and put the numbers where they were. Trust me....you won't run it long enough to hurt it.....it's that much different.....

You run into any that ran good but the initial timing was to much making the saw hard starting

Not really. Most the time it helps (if set right) to start the saw. The not a hard starting saw ( unless your pulling the rope on a MMS @ 225 lb compression) and even at that they pop right off.

I've had starting issues after a coil mod and carb mod but it's ALWAYS been the carb. Usually being to rich. That's things I sort out when adjusting and setting the carbs I build. I try to get all the query out.

Looks good Brad. Lots of Dolmar poppin up around here lately.

I think that's it great that the "Dol-what's" are coming back into focus.

I really like the fact that there are more tinkering with the unlimited coil now.

When Eric offered me that option a couple years ago I jumped on it just for tuning purposes. I can't hear the sound differences to tune by ear worth a lick but I can read a tach.

Can someone explain why the manufactures go with limited coils? Seems to me that an unlimited coil would be cheaper to produce, easier for techs to tune, more reliable since there would be less circuits inside the coil.

Must be a reason since just about every manufacturer is switching to them
Maybe warranty on the saw:(just my 2 cents worth

I should probably wait for the finished product, but had to share these! BOOM!!!

2015-10-07%2010.34.14.png

1.jpg

4.jpg

Latest posts

Back