The Last "Real" Jonsered Debate

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
..... I think the word play with real, true and pure is the key to this debate.......

I agree. There appears to be 3 potential positions available.

Position 1:

Jonsereds (complete with the "s") that were made prior to Elctrolux, Partner, and Husqvarna.

Position 2:

Jonsered saws that were produced after the merger and with some influence from Elux, Partner, and Husky, but with no parts interchanging.

Position 3:

Jonsered saws that were produced after the merger and have parts that interchange with Partner and Husqvarna.

Can we agree on this as a starting point?

Is there anything missing here? (another position, criteria, etc)

I believe that once there is a consensus on what the positions are, then arguments can be made for and/or against these positions.

:popcorn:

For me, the "original" Jonsereds era ended with the end of the perforated aluminum air-intakes over the flywheel. The 490, etc. and 2050/1/5 design work came about while Electrolux's looming presence was becoming the 1000lb gorilla of the market...and that certainly had a significant effect.

Before this, Jonsered/Jonsereds designs were, well, just a little "different" inside and out. And thus, endearing. Later saws started to look just a bit more "generic", and lost the special look that said Jonsereds.

I have a 90; its a thing of beauty. I recently passed on a 910: way too much $$, but I also don't think they are as nice looking. That clumsy-looking, squarish handle mount down the right side looks like an add-on to the sleek body, while the same feature on my 90 looks organic and "just right". There are some features on the old ones I dislike: the silver top on my 621's look gaudy to me, kinda like the chrome parade helmets veterans wear on the 4th of July.

But I don't suppose my personal preferences add up to a definitive answer on when an era ended, do they:)

I agree. There appears to be 3 potential positions available.

Position 1:

Jonsereds (complete with the "s") that were made prior to Elctrolux, Partner, and Husqvarna.

Some pure ones (910, 510 and 410) were introduced after the merger, but before the "S" disappeared.
Position 2:

Jonsered saws that were produced after the merger and with some influence from Elux, Partner, and Husky, but with no parts interchanging.

Some parts interchange and heritage should be allowed.

Position 3:

Jonsered saws that were produced after the merger and have parts that interchange with Partner and Husqvarna.

Rebadged ones, with a few changes.

Can we agree on this as a starting point?

Is there anything missing here? (another position, criteria, etc)

I believe that once there is a consensus on what the positions are, then arguments can be made for and/or against these positions.

:popcorn:

Comments in Magenta color.

Comments in Magenta color.

So how does this read?

Position 1:
Jonsereds (complete with the "s") that were made prior to or immediately after the merger (Elctrolux, Partner, Husqvarna), but are not influenced by said merger (no parts interchange).

Position 2:
Jonsered saws that were produced after the merger and with some influence from Elux, Partner, and Husky, but with few parts interchanging.

Position 3:
Jonsered saws that were produced after the merger and have a majority of parts that interchange with Partner and Husqvarna. Essentially these are re-badged saws with a few changes to differentiate them from Husqvarna and Partner saws.

For me, the "original" Jonsereds era ended with the end of the perforated aluminum air-intakes over the flywheel. The 490, etc. and 2050/1/5 design work came about while Electrolux's looming presence was becoming the 1000lb gorilla of the market...and that certainly had a significant effect.

Before this, Jonsered/Jonsereds designs were, well, just a little "different" inside and out. And thus, endearing. Later saws started to look just a bit more "generic", and lost the special look that said Jonsereds.

I have a 90; its a thing of beauty. I recently passed on a 910: way too much $$, but I also don't think they are as nice looking. That clumsy-looking, squarish handle mount down the right side looks like an add-on to the sleek body, while the same feature on my 90 looks organic and "just right". There are some features on the old ones I dislike: the silver top on my 621's look gaudy to me, kinda like the chrome parade helmets veterans wear on the 4th of July.

But I don't suppose my personal preferences add up to a definitive answer on when an era ended, do they:)

You must have had a 920 or 930, the 910 did not have the squarrish handle down the side. The silver top seemed to run cooler in hot weather because of its top cover color. Now if you think a 90 was a thing of beauty then you never owned a 80.:)
Willard

So how does this read?

Position 1:
Jonsereds (complete with the "s") that were made prior to or immediately after the merger (Elctrolux, Partner, Husqvarna), but are not influenced by said merger (no parts interchange).

Position 2:
Jonsered saws that were produced after the merger and with some influence from Elux, Partner, and Husky, but with few parts interchanging.

Position 3:
Jonsered saws that were produced after the merger and have a majority of parts that interchange with Partner and Husqvarna. Essentially these are re-badged saws with a few changes to differentiate them from Husqvarna and Partner saws.

Mine is position 2. Saws that were made with certain influences but maintain originality to Jonsered saws. If they are unique, they are true Jonsereds. :)

You must have had a 920 or 930, the 910 did not have the squarrish handle down the side. The silver top seemed to run cooler in hot weather because of its top cover color. Now if you think a 90 was a thing of beauty then you never owned a 80.:)
Willard

I guess you got me, Holmen. I went to Mike acres site; the 910 is a sleek "modern-looking" saw without the clunky-looking anti-vibe handlebar on the side. Actually, the styling shows what the 625/630/670 would look like in a couple of years, didn''t it?
The 920/930 is what I apparently passed on. I still say the owner can keep it for $500, though. Good catch!

You also got me, I admit, on the "80". I don't have one, and assumed they were much like the "90". Acres' site suggests not, eh! Aargh...another one of the dreaded silver-tops! There was a very similar 801, with the soothing black cap...ahhh!

I guess you got me, Holmen. I went to Mike acres site; the 910 is a sleek "modern-looking" saw without the clunky-looking anti-vibe handlebar on the side. Actually, the styling shows what the 625/630/670 would look like in a couple of years, didn''t it?
The 920/930 is what I apparently passed on. I still say the owner can keep it for $500, though. Good catch!

You also got me, I admit, on the "80". I don't have one, and assumed they were much like the "90". Acres' site suggests not, eh! Aargh...another one of the dreaded silver-tops! There was a very similar 801, with the soothing black cap...ahhh!

The 801 is a treat. I hope to get an 80 sometime this year and run them side by side. I think it was Holmen that said the 80 will outcut the 801 though. The 910 is one of the best looking JReds ever produced in my opinion. Hoss had one on Ebay that looked great.

ok....

so, there's more different than with current saws like the 2171/372, 2186/385and 359/2159

Yes. Those saws share the crank case, piston, cylinder, muffler, oiler, etc. The 2094/2094 and 394/395 don't share any of these pieces. There is another thread going now that has pictures of a 2094 next to a 394. Check it out. There will be a quiz on Monday :)

Whats the 920 then

I have two 920's, one says that it was built in 1984 I think. It is too damn cold and treacherous icy to go out to the "way back" garage where it is resting to check for sure, but it seems to be a design that is not shared with other saws. I profess ZERO expertise here, just curious. I got this saw from Ohiofarmer on this site, and it is a very good saw, he done me right. JR

The 801 is a treat. I hope to get an 80 sometime this year and run them side by side. I think it was Holmen that said the 80 will outcut the 801 though. The 910 is one of the best looking JReds ever produced in my opinion. Hoss had one on Ebay that looked great.

Yes I and alot of the fallers I worked along side with were disappointed when the 801 replaced the 80. The 80 was better power wise for sure.The 90 did get that power back. The 910 was a pleasure to run.I remember my first 910E being so lightweight and powerful with lots of rpm. Had a few problems breaking the rear handle mounts but we were able to get upgraded mounts from our Jonsereds dealer. Power to weight ratio I think it was the best I have run even over my early 1986 Stihl 064. I then replaced the 910 with a 920, this saw had a stronger handle system but was not the same power to weight ratio and ergonomics like the 910E,not near the same saw.

Last edited:
I have two 920's, one says that it was built in 1984 I think. It is too damn cold and treacherous icy to go out to the "way back" garage where it is resting to check for sure, but it seems to be a design that is not shared with other saws. I profess ZERO expertise here, just curious. I got this saw from Ohiofarmer on this site, and it is a very good saw, he done me right. JR

The 920 is the same as the 930 basically. That big handle bar system was definately something that came from Partner when Electrolux took over Jonsereds. It was a tough good running saw.
Electrolux bought out Husqvarna in 1977, Partner and Jonsereds were taken over in 1979. Jonsereds did stick with its 87cc[5.3 ci] design in the 920 and 930 until the Electrolux 2000 series 2094 at 94cc[5.7ci] was introduced in 1988/1989.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back