The Lewis Brander Collection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lewis that is great you got them , you are starting to get quite the amount of different saws now , when you find a nice 2 man that you want to part with let me know cause that is one thing I would like to have

2 Man Saw:

Hello EHP. Well the fellow I got the 14 saws from has a 2 man saw, a Disston, DA-211. It belongs to his uncle and he's going to see if he wants to sell it to me. Willl have to call him in a couple days and see what he found out. The saw was hanging up in the rafters of his garage, looks complete, but needs a clutch. Hoping to get it for myself. It will be the first 2 man saw in my collection if the price is right. OK, talk to you later. Take care. Lewis.

2 Man saw:

Hello everyone. My brother called me tonight and this coming saturday we're going to look at a 2 man Mall saw along with a Wright saw the fellow has offered to sell, reasonable. Hopefully the Mall is complete, he says the Wright saw looks brand new. Will see and let you know if I end up with them. Take care. Lewis.

You have all the luck now don't you Lewis, there are not very many 2 man saws up here to start with

2 Man saws:

Hello EHP. I'll be lucky if I can talk the wife into letting me purchace the saws to begin with. My brother drives a feed truck across northern NY and VT. He's been the one who is helping me locate these 2 man saws. Just hope they're complete. If I can't swing the deal, I'll let you know who has them and you might be able to contact them and get them for yourself, but wish me luck first. Take care. Lewis Brander.

2 Man saw:

Hello to EHP. Wel, went and looked at what I thought was going to be a 2 man Mall. It ended up being a Disston DA-211. Missing gearbox, bar, chain, stinger handle and some covers. It wasn't froze up, but a bit disappointed that it wasn't complete. Told him I'd get back to him on it. The fellow I got the last 14 saws from has one that's complete, but it needs some clutch parts. Waiting to hear from him, may call him shortly to see what he's found out from his uncle who own's the saw. May just get the one I saw today for parts if I can get the first one I saw for the right price. The fellow I saw today also had a another Wright saw. I was froze up and missing air filter ass'y, but it had a cutting blade, which mine is missing. So may get that one as well a bit later. OK, talk later. Lewis.

This is also assuming your wife doesnt decide to commit you to the insane asylum first.

Hi OSD.

Well, when I got home today, I think I surprised her. I had no saws in the truck to unload. I think she was sure I would have brought home any saw I looked at. Any saws I get I try to look at first and try to make sure that they are at least complete. I don't have a lot of room to store junked or parts saws. Her mood changed, after a while, this afternoon, for the better. Guess she realizes that I don't buy everything I see.

Well, got some carb kits and now have the Pioneer 650 running like a champ. Put a Kit in the Solo Rex and she would not run unless the choke was on. Did some more checking and the impulse passagewas were restricked. Ended up removing the cylinder to clean them out and also clean the passageway in the crankcase. Put her back together last night and started her up this afternoon. Had to replace the pull cord. The old one was too short and couldn't get a good pull on her. It would snap the cord out of your hand when she fired, unless you caught her just right. The Solo Rex now runs at higher rpm's, but will idle, only with the choke slightly on. The gas I'm using is a bit on the old side (left over from the last GTG). You know the gas with the pink stuff in it ( Fuel Stabil). Going to get some fresh 93 octane and try her on that to see what she does. She has wicked compression and may run better on the higher octane. OK, everyone take care. Lewis.

Last edited:
Saw Pictures.

Here is some pics of some of the saws I picked up a while back. McCulloch 1-40, Saw with a front mounted carburetor? (anyone know what saw this is?) and my second Homelite 5-20. Take care Lewis.

Solo Rex.

Well, the Solo Rex is now running great. I replaced the pull rope to get a better pull, to start her. I removed the carb and reset the metering lever and she now runs, but idles a bit rough no mater what you do. I did a vacume/pressure test of the crankcase and all is OK. When first starting her you can pull her over with no problems. But when she picks up her fuel and fires, she still would yank the cord out of your hand. I checked the points, redressed them and regaped them to .020". Still would yank the recoil out of your hand and idle rather rough. I finally reset the points to .015" and she now starts easier, idles better and still has a bit of a kick back when starting her. Now she is more of a joy to start and run. Wish the thing had a decompression valve. I decided to retard the spark a bit, because I was afraid I would break the plastic recoil dawgs in the rewind.

I now have the 2nd Homelite 5-20 running. Rebuilt the carb, cleaned out the varnish in the tank, replaced the fuel filter and tank hose. Had to readjust the metering lever a bit, but she now starts and runs just fine. She's complete, but is missing the side cover to the left of the carb. Anyone have an extra?

The I-40 McCulloch is tired, so may rob some parts and get the 1-43 running, unless someone knows where rings can be found.

Out of 14 saws and the generator I got, I now have 9 saws and the generator running. The 1-40 needs rings. The Remington SL-9 and 2 Mighty Mites I don't feel I'll bother with and will use them for parts saws, they're pretty tired.

Bye the way, the saw with the front mounted carb is a Lancaster, model Six-55, made by the Lancaster Pump and Mfg. Co. Not much other info on the saw that I can find as yet. Anyone have any more info? Year of manufacture and any other specifications. Believe she has a Power Products AH-47 engine from what I can tell.

Still haven't heard from the fellow with the Disston, DA-211, so will have to call him to see what's going on. Here's a couple pics of the collection thus far. Take care. Lewis.

Last edited:
Nice and tight:

Ha, Got a bit more room for small saws, but will have to eventually put up more shelves, if this collection gets any larger, sound familiar? May eventually move the older saws back to my basement for storage and safe keeping which will give more room in my garage. Take care. Lewis.

Pics of restored saws:

Sedanman: Remember these saws? They're done and we'll have to make arrangements to get them back to you. Take care. Lewis Brander.

Lweis, Great job as always! Time is tough thing to come by but I heard a song lyric that hit home "Life is like an hourglass glued to the table". Once the sand runs out there is no flipping the hourglass, so I'm gonna learn to make time to see friends.

Here's a link to an old hot saw. problem is there's no rear handle.
ebay saw
http://***************/treehouse/images/smiles/big_wave.gif

Last edited:
How saw:

Guess the question is HOW do you use this saw? I saw this link posted on the Samlarenforum. The advice given was to stay away from it, which I will. I have no interest in any sort of hot saws and this looks like someone elses bag of troubles. Take care. Lewis.

Latest posts

Back