The making of a wedge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NDtreehugger

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

next

yup more picks

attachment.php

attachment.php

When done soak in bar and chain oil for a minute or 2 don't let them dry out

keep them oil and slick

:chainsaw:

Last edited:
Nice work with that saw, and Great tip !!!!

Never know what you'll learn hangin out here. Thanks for sharing !!

I've made wedges from White Ash, but if I ever have to really beat on them they mushroom out and split, but I've been told the plastic wedges will mushroom too.

of course, it's alot easier to make more than it is with plastic wedges!!

:cheers:

The small one is use for firewood

to keep the log from pinching Ouch!!
attachment.php

on a hot day I set the felling wedges in the sun and treat them to a waxing keeps them slick as snot

I've made wedges from White Ash, but if I ever have to really beat on them they mushroom out and split, but I've been told the plastic wedges will mushroom too.

of course, it's alot easier to make more than it is with plastic wedges!!

:cheers:

Yes they will split

lost a wedge that way, I was teaching my son the fine art of felling let him cut the tree and go at it with the wedge, he made a shallow backcut, guess he was afraid the tree would fall :popcorn:

I watched as he pounded & pounded away at the wedge wondering why the tree would'nt fall :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: yup couldn't help myself few minutes pass and he finally looks at me after smashing the wedge to pieces I'm laughing my as- off yup go deeper I say go deeper, like anything else they will break

P.S.

I did have him cut me another wedge,,----- lesson learned----

Last edited:
Nice 361 pix there. The saw gods are appeased.

Good wedgies as well... I make them the same way, except I noodle cut the logs (cut parallel to the grain, easier to cut that way).

hmmmmm you think

This is a Quote from a past post: and as you can see I hate my ms361

ms361 character can be molded.

What I did like about the 361 is its starting effort.

Just look at the 361 and think time for work, the dam thing starts all by itself.

and if your not careful it will jump in the truck before you get your boots on.

I hate my MS361 but Saturday I found the thing in the front seat of my truck rev-in to go, G-dam thing was drooling all over the place with excitement.

:help: Me Im a sik man

Im not sure about likin the thing but with a saw like that how can I stay mad

This is a Quote from a past post: and as you can see I hate my ms361

Im not sure about likin the thing but with a saw like that how can I stay mad

I have a worse problem,the 361 and the 460 are both in the truck waiting on me and like the kids,they're both fighting over who gets to ride in the back and who gets to drive this time

ND, what's your preference of wood when making wedges ?
I've got a Sweet Gum stump i'm gonna try to make a couple from.
I figure cutting them off a stump, no need for a vise.

Last edited:
I use the hard wood that is in the area

I do prefer ash its dryer when standing then most wood and the grain is fairly tight, elm takes a long time to dry and it shrinks, elm wedges should be cut when its dry this way you can avoid cracks and flaws in the wood

oak same way

Last edited:
ND, what's your preference of wood when making wedges ?
I've got a Sweet Gum stump i'm gonna try to make a couple from.
I figure cutting them off a stump, no need for a vise.

Osage Orange holds up well. Mullberry is plentiful for me, it is second favorite, but most used.

Nobody has said it yet

Your bar is on upside down.....
Thanks for the tip. Another good one for once I am on the site. I've done the "home made mallet" from the sapling, but this is great for those stupid Y's.
Chad

Cool thread, I think I will make 10 or so of those just for fun and try different types of wood. I like the idea of just making a wedge if you don't have one, but I always have one cause who goes falling trees without a couple? Not me. Thanks for the tip.

Latest posts

Back