The MS200T alternative?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only problem I have with it is when you go to refill it with gas the douche bags put the oil and gas fills right under the to handle , and you gotta kinda tilt the saw forward to not spill oil , it's an art at first but a real bummer none the less
najynezu.jpg

That seems to be working for me now.

I have 2 now and I could a least get another 3 at the drop of a dime if I wanted , they are stacked up to the ceiling at the saw shop some have tired heads or bad pistons , I mean they just need some TLC if I chose to go and get em !

Echos are great back up saws, but just won't carry the load for me. I'm waiting on the t540xp.

I'v been using echo top handle saws for 25 years. The 330 I use now, has a muffler mod, and when it runs it runs good, but has a bad habit of not running every now and again. I did the mod out of the box, so I voided the warranty. It's taking me some time to get it tuned right, after the mod. Figured out the jets were moving after removing the limiters.
I was looking to get me a 200t, but even used ones on ebay are going for 600.00 now.(There not that good.) I might get the 355(buy it out of state)as the only complaint I have with my 330 is its a little under powered. I am pretty sure my lil 330 can beat a 201t calif model.
Jeff try out the echo 355 as a back up or give it to the guy who's always dropping or damageing his 200t saw as punishment. Just kidding.

I'm an all Stihl guy, but I'd swap any saw in my line up for any competitors saw and probably notice no difference at all. I run huskies that belong to other guys prety often and they're just as good. Most pro saws of the same grade are very comparable, and performance differences and reliability differences are pretty minor. The 200T is a saw for which there is no replacement though. It's not a matter of a second of difference, that power, response and handling give enormous control in the tree. Being able to snap, pop, spear and jump branches off very consistently means control, which equals higher productivity and safety. It reduces the need for roping down dramatically. The difference adds up to hours, not seconds.

I've got a few good runners, and one new 200T sitting in a box. I'm still on the lookout for more, and I'm happy to pay whatever price. That saw is my money maker.

If mine all wear out and I can't get more then I'm going the brad mod route. If you haven't seen the vid, take a look. Muff mod, timing advance and a re-tune and the saw looks to out cut a muff modded 200T.

Shaun

I'm an all Stihl guy, but I'd swap any saw in my line up for any competitors saw and probably notice no difference at all. I run huskies that belong to other guys prety often and they're just as good. Most pro saws of the same grade are very comparable, and performance differences and reliability differences are pretty minor. The 200T is a saw for which there is no replacement though. It's not a matter of a second of difference, that power, response and handling give enormous control in the tree. Being able to snap, pop, spear and jump branches off very consistently means control, which equals higher productivity and safety. It reduces the need for roping down dramatically. The difference adds up to hours, not seconds.

I've got a few good runners, and one new 200T sitting in a box. I'm still on the lookout for more, and I'm happy to pay whatever price. That saw is my money maker.

If mine all wear out and I can't get more then I'm going the brad mod route. If you haven't seen the vid, take a look. Muff mod, timing advance and a re-tune and the saw looks to out cut a muff modded 200T.

Shaun

Mine is equal to slightly better than my BIL 200t now that Brad worked his magic. I still would love to find a new 200t as well though for the handling.

Shaun

Well said, it opened my eyes a little.

I can see why people don't like the 201 out of the box, its slow,the throttle response sucks,it bogs constantly,and isn't fun to use but with a few small mods it really wakes up and is like a new saw. I wouldn't just dump your 200's just to get a 201, but if i needed another top handle i wouldn't hesitate to buy one again.

I've never ran a cali model 201 but if a 330t can beat one well i understand. We have to realize we may not be comparing apples to apples because my 330t is the definition of molasses.

I removed the catalytic converter, and opened up the muffler some and it made all the difference in the world power wise on my 330 echo. Granted it's not a 200t, but the chains always sharp and the air cleaner clean, and that's an edge I have over most other climbers out here. A dull chain, dirty air cleaner and out of tune, just makes a 200 a heavy slow chainsaw. I use a lot of saws from different places I work, and I say 90% of saws used are never maintained by the people using them. Waste of money giving some people a nice saw. That's where the echos come in. Let em tare up a 250.00 saw,

I have been in the buisness for 25 years and as I do love the beloved 200t all is not lost. I recently bought a 201 and did all brass mods. Wow let me tell you after this thong broke in I'm starting to reach for this before my 200. It should come this way out of the box and it doesn't. I beileive this is why there are so many haters. It is a great saw you just have to open up the muffler a tad and richen it up. Enough said.

I have been in the buisness for 25 years and as I do love the beloved 200t all is not lost. I recently bought a 201 and did all brass mods. Wow let me tell you after this thong broke in I'm starting to reach for this before my 200. It should come this way out of the box and it doesn't. I beileive this is why there are so many haters. It is a great saw you just have to open up the muffler a tad and richen it up. Enough said.

Yep I love breakin in new thongs too.

I am a newbie to climbing trees. I just teamed up with a small, father and son, tree service that has been in the business for 30+ years. They HATE their 201t. It has been in and out of the shop and it is never right. They still have a 200t that they fight over and they would rather use a 192t than the 201. I have a muffler modded Jonsered 2139t. They used it and liked it but in comparison to the 200t it still lacks in performance. I know some here will say that a muffler modded 339xp/338xp/2139t will compare to a 200t. I used a 200t for the first time today and I now understand why you all love this saw so much. It is, based on my experience with it today, the best climbing saw on the planet! I need to find one for a reasonable price now :bang:

I am a newbie to climbing trees. I just teamed up with a small, father and son, tree service that has been in the business for 30+ years. They HATE their 201t. It has been in and out of the shop and it is never right. They still have a 200t that they fight over and they would rather use a 192t than the 201. I have a muffler modded Jonsered 2139t. They used it and liked it but in comparison to the 200t it still lacks in performance. I know some here will say that a muffler modded 339xp/338xp/2139t will compare to a 200t. I used a 200t for the first time today and I now understand why you all love this saw so much. It is, based on my experience with it today, the best climbing saw on the planet! I need to find one for a reasonable price now :bang:

I'm glad I stocked up one the 200T's. I got a few still in the box in the office and the guy's don't know!
Jeff

I'm glad I stocked up one the 200T's. I got a few still in the box in the office and the guy's don't know!
Jeff

It would be yet another awesome display of comradery here on Arboristsite when you send me one Jeff :msp_biggrin: Thank you in advance.

Latest posts

Back