The MS200T alternative?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fer pete's sake Jeff, lose the excess apostrophes!!!!

Your climber's what?
The saw's what? AAAAgggghhhhh!

Ok, until I wear out my 020t, my 5yr old 200t and the 6yr old 200t I just got as backup...I ain't buying no stinkin' 201!

Your climber's what?

Ok, until I wear out my 020t, my 5yr old 200t and the 6yr old 200t I just got as backup...I ain't buying no stinkin' 201!

HEY BERMIE... good to see you!!!

Your climber's what?

020t- now that was a freakin good aas saw, so sick that mine was stolen...............someday uz sumbeyatch, ilz getchur sorry aas. I know exactly who took too, lived right down the street from me, little freakin wanna be punk.

So what is the word on the 355T? Anyone try one yet?

I am running two 200's and and two 201's right now. I am not impressed with the 201. I just called my nearest echo dealer and got a 355 on order, so we will see.

So what is the word on the 355T? Anyone try one yet?

I am running two 200's and and two 201's right now. I am not impressed with the 201. I just called my nearest echo dealer and got a 355 on order, so we will see.

Before I break out any of the 200's still in the box, I will get a 355.
Jeff

Who needs an alternative to the ms200t when you can still find them for a grand on ebay??? Brand New Stihl MS200T Chainsaw Fuel Oil Never BEEN in It So It's Truly New | eBay

I don't mind the 201. At about 6 months old it's still my newest prettiest saw and seems to cut pretty well. I haven't needed to bring it to the shop aside from when it got dropped from a tree and needed to replace the handle. Where can I find how to do the mods?

ive never liked the stihl climbers, ive always preferred echo, tho i like the cs341
i think its funny tho stihl is loosing people to echo

idk, it all sounds good and fine to me excluding the rev limiter, there are many times i intentionally "red line" my saws for various reasons and ive yet to wreck one, i do this for a living, i dont want an idiot proof saw
but, i have yet to run the 201, so i cant really make any qualified statements about it
i can say that on paper, the 88 is a better saw then a 3120, but it isnt
so, on paper doesnt really hold water for me

Last edited:
stihl 020 to the 200

the 200T has been the 'definition' of a climbing saw for years. why? because it is the product of decades of improvements starting at the O20 model.
simply put, stihl is in a corner with the EPA with emissions and thus had to discontinue the 200 series and introducted the 201 series. a strato engine, not commonly seen in their saw catalog in the past.

the 200T has been the 'definition' of a climbing saw for years. why? because it is the product of decades of improvements starting at the O20 model.
simply put, stihl is in a corner with the EPA with emissions and thus had to discontinue the 200 series and introducted the 201 series. a strato engine, not commonly seen in their saw catalog in the past.

Unfortunately it was replaced for the same reason they stopped making 1969 Camaros and Mustangs... Because Technology is changing to more Fuel Efficient and less Emissions.

We work closely with Stihl over here in CA. (former employee works their)... The MS200T was perfect out of the box.. which is why most people don't like the 201.. It requires a break in and an adjustment that must go back to the service shop you bought it from.... Once broken in and readjusted it's actually got more power than the 200. However only 20% or less of my customers have brought their 201 back for an adjustment.

We've been sending the CS-355T out on Demo's to every tree crew in our area and they say it has more power than the 338 husky but not as much as the MS200. Its a very close contender and they seem to have pretty good feedback on it so far. But remember you're still not comparing apple to apple. If i am not mistaken we are talking $449 retail vs $629 on the Stihl.

So considering its price its a great saw. (but our customers still prefer the MS200)

you can't knock service from either Companies. They are both willing to stand behind their products 100%.

If price is a concern I'd say try the Echo. If not the 201 is the best option. I have yet to see the new husqvarna top handle come out but am long awaiting it.

I have two MS200T saws -- and I have replaced the carb twice on one and once on the other. I have had them for about 4 years.

I have been told that they will last longer if I switch to no ethanol premium for the mix, which I have.

Now one of the saws is going bad again: starts, but won't rev to full rpm without stalling for awhile, and then once its warmed up and in use, follows the same pattern but less often. This can be really annoying when you are using the saw in a tree; my climber won't use that one, which he identifies by its longer start cord and clean handle -- his fav is gunked up with pitch on the handle and has a short start cord. I could label the saws? :confused:

Anyway, I really don't want to pay for another carb replacement; any ideas?

I have two MS200T saws -- and I have replaced the carb twice on one and once on the other. I have had them for about 4 years.

I have been told that they will last longer if I switch to no ethanol premium for the mix, which I have.

Now one of the saws is going bad again: starts, but won't rev to full rpm without stalling for awhile, and then once its warmed up and in use, follows the same pattern but less often. This can be really annoying when you are using the saw in a tree; my climber won't use that one, which he identifies by its longer start cord and clean handle -- his fav is gunked up with pitch on the handle and has a short start cord. I could label the saws? :confused:

Anyway, I really don't want to pay for another carb replacement; any ideas?

bfh

Well, I have considered throwing it out of the tree. I have heard about someone doing that to a saw, but have not seen it done yet.

Years ago, a worked for a tree company that had a touchy climber: he ran the saw down the sidewalk full bore for 10 seconds and tossed it in the truck because he said that the chain sharpening guy didn't file it right.

So, I'll probably take the carb out and hit it with a hammer to save the rst of the saw...

When I bought my 200t new, it developped a stalling problem, it was the fuel tank breather, it was full of gunk, once I cleaned it out its never looked back, try that.

When I bought my 200t new, it developped a stalling problem, it was the fuel tank breather, it was full of gunk, once I cleaned it out its never looked back, try that.

Thanks -- I'll try that.

I always try to support the timber industry -- I am printing out the 118 pg. tech manual (as opposed to the worthless one you get with the saw) right now. It seems there is either a single or multi-part fuel venting system in the MS200T -- who knew?! Rather than go back and forth from my office to shop (or take the saw apart on the desk over the keyboard) I now am the proud owner of the tech manual for the exploded diagram and instruction page in question! :D

Maybe if I break a leg, I'll have the down time to learn to tear all of my own saws apart.

Thanks -- I'll try that.

I always try to support the timber industry -- I am printing out the 118 pg. tech manual (as opposed to the worthless one you get with the saw) right now. It seems there is either a single or multi-part fuel venting system in the MS200T -- who knew?! Rather than go back and forth from my office to shop (or take the saw apart on the desk over the keyboard) I now am the proud owner of the tech manual for the exploded diagram and instruction page in question! :D

Maybe if I break a leg, I'll have the down time to learn to tear all of my own saws apart.

Did you have to pay for that manual?

Back