The neighbors are burning railroad ties

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Y'all are ridiculous... totally ridiculous‼ (well... not all of ya')

Yeah, no friggin' doubt... we all haf'ta do it your tree-huggin' way... Well, GPY‼
You think the bu!!$h!t ain't comin" you way... well grow the phuck up‼

When it comes to keepin' my family warm I'll burn WTF ever I choose... whenever I choose...
And you can choke on it for all I give sour owl crap... my family comes before you.

Someone claims the guy is rich and can afford any sort'a heat he wants... well phuck the guy claimin' such, he don't know Bill from Bob (unless he's livin' in Bob or Bill's shoes).

Yeah, no friggin' doubt... we all haf'ta do it your tree-huggin' way... Well, GPY‼

When it comes to keepin' my family warm I'll burn WTF ever I choose... whenever I choose...
And you can choke on it for all I give sour owl crap... my family comes before you.

Someone claims the guy is rich and can afford any sort'a heat he wants... well phuck the guy claimin' such, he don't know Bill from Bob (unless he's livin' in Bob or Bill's shoes).
This post brought to you by Budweiser. ;)

Report him for what?? Report him to who??
Are you sure they're illegal to burn in Wisconsin??
They ain't illegal to burn here...

There ain't nothin' unsafe about burnin' railroad ties or telephone poles... but stickin' your face over the stack and suckin' in big gulps of smoke might make ya' a bit sick for a few minutes. Creosotes are nothing more than stuff we already burn, just concentrated into a tar... wood, coal and oil. Heck wood-tar creosote is used to flavor meat, and all have them have been used in medicine to varying degrees. The truth is... direct contact with creosote is more likely to make ya' sick than standin' down wind of a fire burnin' wood treated with it. For that matter, many wood treatments don't even use creosotes these days... they use stuff safer than the wood smoke itself.

Kind of reminds me of the same idiotic arguments that cigarette smokers are expressing since decades...

Because everyone that has any idea of what he was talking about would not forget that railraod ties have a history and that history only started with the impregnation with creosotes and ended with decades of herbicide application. And definately not the eco friendly variant! But it sure is nice to ignore these things and live in a world where the sun always shines...

Modern ties are about always made out of cement these days so there is nothing to treat anymore. And why are these "traditional" methodes of impregnation not allowed anymore? Ah yes only so that or economy can flourish in that constantly selling new products...

good lord , whats wrong with yall ? this dude is obviously bat **** crazy , i have never seen a millionaire that wasn't , he probably just thinks he won't have to worry about them rotting till he gets em all burned up , just wait till he starts burning the tires and a pile of vinyl siding cause he heard they were bad to put in a land fill , then crop dusting the place with round up cause weeds are growing in his **** ...:rock:

His house is 6 or 7 hundred yards from my dad's place , Constant blue smoke coming out. It would be different if he burned a few once in a while, but a whole winter's worth?? He must be desperate to keep that thing going.

You can see his house in the pic. he can afford propane. Or buying a load of wood

Ya all sure them thangs ain't treated with copper sulphate- as that's the norm for pressure treated wood for quite awhile now. Washington County is part of SE WI therefore falls under some rather strict air quality standards- might want to send a friendly note to the local DNR office. I don't know the particular rules but putting that stuff in the air is a no-no. Goes right along with burning up old paint, tires and related items.
If they are CS treated ( creosote treated ain't any better)that stuff is pretty corrosive when burned iirc- kinda makes it self correcting in season or 2.

How could you possibly know his financial situation?
He can't know...
The man could be flat-azz broke a 6 months behind on the mortgage.

Ya' know?? Livestock manure is a "toxic waste"... but they spread that crap over the vegetables you eat ever day.

Modern ties are about always made out of cement these days so there is nothing to treat anymore. And why are these "traditional" methodes of impregnation not allowed anymore?
I ain't never seen a cement railroad tie where I live... but I see new wooden ones bein' laid down.
And "traditional" methods of impregnation not allowed anymore?? Not allowed?? Maybe in Austria (how would I know)... but over here creosote is still commonly used as a wood preservative.
Exactly how do they spike down the rail to cement anyway??

Spidey why is the owl crap always sour?.....and usually cold?
Hmmmmmm......????......

I know it is illegal here to burn anything garbage related and I think they even have a hotline number to report suspected trash burners.

Here, we burn all our garbage in a barrel, out in the yard (except the glass and tin)... pretty much common (and legal) practice.
Can't do it in the town north of me because of local ordinance... but there's a burn barrel behind near ever house in the town south of me.

I ain't never seen a cement railroad tie where I live... but I see new wooden ones bein' laid down.
And "traditional" methods of impregnation not allowed anymore?? Not allowed?? Maybe in Austria (how would I know)... but over here creosote is still commonly used as a wood preservative.
Interesting! I haven't seen a new wooden one in at least ten years! The cement ones you have some round spring(around 1/2 inch thick!) that holds the track in place.

e-clip11111.jpg
220px-System_300.jpg

Here is some interesting info on the topic railroad ties! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railroad_tie

And if anyone wants to learn on the different types of creasoat and it's carcinogenic properties you can read here!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creosote

He can't know...
The man could be flat-azz broke a 6 months behind on the mortgage.

Ya' know?? Livestock manure is a "toxic waste"... but they spread that crap over the vegetables you eat ever day.

Hmmmmmm......????......
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/20...c-farmers-bash-fda-restrictions-on-manure-use
i'll blame on the Bud.:laugh:

Hmmmm.....
I did a little readin'... it does appear some concrete ties (sleepers) are used in the US, but they're more common in Europe.
I didn't know it, but concrete was used after WWII because of the limited supply of timber... not because of anything to do with environmental protection.
Seems there's both advantages and disadvantages... concrete allows heavier loads at higher speeds, but with reduced shock absorption and increased wheel noise. They're more expensive (in the US), and cause the rail bed ballast to degrade faster. I've never seen concrete railroad ties in the Midwest... but that don't necessarily mean there ain't some, somewhere here.

Back