The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you run across any maple here, you know you are near an old house place. I have only cut 6 this year. Ya know...the grade goes as #4! I thought they would be pretty, these looked like a cross between a sycamore and a tuplelo...kinda ugly

When you say old house place......could it be that they been coppiced in past years???

It a type of falling technique if ya look on you tube I think there a vid there

Ok. I have cut some of them just a PITA. Not worth much....blocking and tie logs ...about $1000 a load on a good day. Fire wood poles pay $900 a load lol.

Whats coppiced?

Old woodsmans technique used to harvest timber without actually totally falling it...something like taking of limbs or stems to promote new growth .......it is a craft really ....it was used before the days of clear fell and replant......kept the supply going if that makes any sense

Old woodsmans technique used to harvest timber without actually totally falling it...something like taking of limbs or stems to promote new growth .......it is a craft really ....it was used before the days of clear fell and replant......kept the supply going if that makes any sense

In PA they have taken to clear cutting now only leaving "seed" trees that are usually 70' tall and blown over by a light breeze.

Is that where they are cut about half through and bet to the ground?

The maples you will see here will also usually be by Yuca's and Iris. I have a theory that the CCC's planted them when they were here in the 40's I think. Most seem about the same size. I saw a cluster of maples once...kind of odd, seemed to be in the middle of nowhere.

Is that where they are cut about half through and bet to the ground?

The maples you will see here will also usually be by Yuca's and Iris. I have a theory that the CCC's planted them when they were here in the 40's I think. Most seem about the same size. I saw a cluster of maples once...kind of odd, seemed to be in the middle of nowhere.

No TC coppicing you actually fully cut .......I think what your thinking of is something hedge layers use ......that called pleaching lol

since coming to Washington from cali, every day is good.

I bet! I flew out to Olympia back in '92 and visited Evergreen University trying to get into their forestry program. I absolutely loved that huge open air fish market! Beautiful country out there. I wish I had a BMW GS1200 or a KTM Super Adventure...I'd ride out there and check it out again.

Latest posts

Back