The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought that too. But I can't help myself sometimes. I tried to come up with a way to get the OP to reconsider. I didn't consider trying to discourage him by insulting loggers as the one poster did. Ron

My pa has an older 120si sacks/dolmar its a bastard whore to get started when cold, but one Hel of a wood cutting saw. If there was a dealer anywhere near by I'd probably run one... the newer ones have a primer bulb so there not as bad to get fired up.

They are just using the name. The new saws have nothing in common with the old dolmar saws. Just like the new poulands, mccloughs, and homelites.

So day three of operation "Playground Move." Still ahead of schedule, but I am a hurting unit. Down to moving the rubber tiles, so we decided to let Dad take the two eighteen year old idiots with him to unload while I stayed behind and peeled em and staged them by the loading door. It worked, but it cost me. I would say my back will never be the same, but I'd be lyin'. It's the same, sore as hell. It kind of sucks to be payin' these kids to ride in the truck while I'm humpin it, but we knew what would happen if we left one of them to work by themselves...... nuttin!

So day three of operation "Playground Move." Still ahead of schedule, but I am a hurting unit. Down to moving the rubber tiles, so we decided to let Dad take the two eighteen year old idiots with him to unload while I stayed behind and peeled em and staged them by the loading door. It worked, but it cost me. I would say my back will never be the same, but I'd be lyin'. It's the same, sore as hell. It kind of sucks to be payin' these kids to ride in the truck while I'm humpin it, but we knew what would happen if we left one of them to work by themselves...... nuttin!

what ya think gonna happen when we are to old, who gonna do it then? it don't look good.

The OP just posted again and showed a good attitude, but I'm sure he is still going to venture forth. Hopefully, he'll be extra careful and won't get hurt.

HS, I appreciate your post to the retired tree trimmer. He may have forgotten more than I know. In these parts, tree trimmer is a generic name for both line clearance and tree service. Many of which have some highly skilled fallers on their crews as well as storm cleanup cutters. Too bad he didn't recognize the latter skill in professional loggers or that both professions like all professions have some that aren't professional.

Ron

the warsher thing that holds the sprocket rim on, pulled the center right out of it. all better now... not entirely sure how the Hel it happened I did toss the chain pretty hard???

The technical term for that part is , well, a warsher, at least down here anyway.:msp_biggrin:

Sorry to hear about the 066, hope it's an easy fix. How often do you pro boys actually use your axe for axing? I've quit carrying mine altogether, and am just using the stumpy sledge. I've yet to miss it

I use mine fairly often... whether its bumping the occasional knot on the landing or hacking my way through a tree to unstick a saw (do I hike the 1/2 mile back to the truck or wail on this thing for 5 minutes...)

You can also use the axe to trim off the mushroomed edges on yer wedges, not so easy with a sledge hammer...

or the very occasional fallers fire chopping up little pieces of dry branches to have a cheery little camp fire for lunch purposes of course:givebeer:

For the record I picked up one of them collins 5 pound axes 1 pound makes a world of difference.:D

I use mine fairly often... whether its bumping the occasional knot on the landing or hacking my way through a tree to unstick a saw (do I hike the 1/2 mile back to the truck or wail on this thing for 5 minutes...)

You can also use the axe to trim off the mushroomed edges on yer wedges, not so easy with a sledge hammer...

or the very occasional fallers fire chopping up little pieces of dry branches to have a cheery little camp fire for lunch purposes of course:givebeer:

For the record I picked up one of them collins 5 pound axes 1 pound makes a world of difference.:D

Cool,
Thanks for letting me know how it works in your world. I have an extra bar/chain as I am not chopping thru a tree when I have a perfectly good power head (and warsher) available.

The OP just posted again and showed a good attitude, but I'm sure he is still going to venture forth. Hopefully, he'll be extra careful and won't get hurt.

HS, I appreciate your post to the retired tree trimmer. He may have forgotten more than I know. In these parts, tree trimmer is a generic name for both line clearance and tree service. Many of which have some highly skilled fallers on their crews as well as storm cleanup cutters. Too bad he didn't recognize the latter skill in professional loggers or that both professions like all professions have some that aren't professional.

Ron

wud i miss.

Northman- so you tossed the e-clip and then the washer popped off? I've had that happen a bunch. I keep extra clips in my fallers pack. When the chain tosses just right it can catch it. Either that or if you are trying to snap the chain back on with your knee on the bar and the saw is running When trying to get the chain back on the sprocket she can catch pretty easily. After losing several e-clips in a row one day I throw the chain brake to get it back on the rim then take it off to roll the chain back up over the nose.

Northman- so you tossed the e-clip and then the washer popped off? I've had that happen a bunch. I keep extra clips in my fallers pack. When the chain tosses just right it can catch it. Either that or if you are trying to snap the chain back on with your knee on the bar and the saw is running When trying to get the chain back on the sprocket she can catch pretty easily. After losing several e-clips in a row one day I throw the chain brake to get it back on the rim then take it off to roll the chain back up over the nose.

It pulled the center of the warsher out... E-clip was still there and doing its job. the center of the old warsher is resting peacefully on the tailgate of the crummy.

I keep a couple extra e-clips on hand just in case, but they stay in the tackle box with the crummy.

Back