The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
y'all know I carry the stubby sledge. 8# 24" and yea it gets tossed tree to tree lol. orange paint makes um easy to find.
hey, I don't know if many the western guys around but I been playin with the block face lately and it works nice on the ugly beech here, real nice. one ? tho, do ya want the back cut to line up top bottom or center of that wide block?
gotta go cross the road, see yas later.

Yup! Hey there slayer! Man you should have seen this pine I cut today...I cut it off at around 40ft due to it went all crazy and stuff into a triple junky top...anyway the there was so little taper that I don't think the stump and the top varied more than 2 inches! It's still on the side of the hill so I will get some sort of picture 2moro...no limbs and no taper...can ya tell that it was steep ground pine?? LOL!

y'all know I carry the stubby sledge. 8# 24" and yea it gets tossed tree to tree lol. orange paint makes um easy to find.
hey, I don't know if many the western guys around but I been playin with the block face lately and it works nice on the ugly beech here, real nice. one ? tho, do ya want the back cut to line up top bottom or center of that wide block?
gotta go cross the road, see yas later.

Randy's pic showed top of the block in that one pic by the block house.

NM, madsens has those aluminum axe carrying boxes in their catalog.

I always carry my smaller Fiskars (x15 I think), and toss it to the next stump as well. This reminds me, the backside of Fiskars axe heads are rounded when you buy em... Are Husqvarna's flat?

looks like good wedge beater to me ,i am not sure how it will stick to a tree till i try it ,hopefully it will peel cedar bark off for when i mill ,looks like if packing on your back ,can leave the leather cover on ,the strap looks out of harms way pounding wedges husqvarna axe 005.JPGhusqvarna axe 006.JPGhusqvarna axe 007.JPGhusqvarna axe 008.JPG

hey thanks Clint, good memory. yea, ya run into those once in a while. I love to see it. I figure they couldn't get to it or the faller was scared of it.....yea I have seen guys leave um but that's ok I get um later lol.
Clint that block face did work very well on them twisty ugly beech, one was pretty chunky. never hurts to have a few more tricks.

yep...

anyway got me one of them collins 5 pound beasties a few months back, after Bob and Glen recomended em... made in the US of A and holds an edge very nice, if you plan on beating some wedges into oblivion... well it'll do it. Think they run around 50 bones.

I'll have to get me that there madsens catalog, or maybe I shouldn't

Yeh it never hurts to pick up some tricks and actually use them when need be. So Mike, what about the beech trees made you decide to use that face? I used it once when falling a large sweet gum up out of a dry creek bank. I was obligated to be in the bed of the creek and was concerned about a lack of escape route. I was putting the tree up the hill and decided to use the block face increasing my chances of it not skipping off the stump at me.

What was your application?

The more I think of it, I think we have beech trees in Arkansas...possibly around creek bottoms and rivers. Weird trees grow in those areas...paperbark birch, pecan, that damn soft wood hickory I showed ya pics of that I cut with the big heart, huge fricken cotton wood. Down at my ol' lady's sister's house in Cabot they have these damn oak that I have never seen any like them up in the hills. They grow like your Tulip Poplar...look like a red oak but real thin pointy leaves. TALL as ****! No limbs for like 5 fricken tie cuts it looks like.

looks like good wedge beater to me ,i am not sure how it will stick to a tree till i try it ,hopefully it will peel cedar bark off for when i mill ,looks like if packing on your back ,can leave the leather cover on ,the strap looks out of harms way pounding wedges View attachment 325314View attachment 325315View attachment 325316View attachment 325317

Looks like it would beat a wedge to me! Mandatory video on the tree sticking though! Pics or it didn't happen you know! LOL! That edge don't look like the tree sticking kind! Pftt!

Looks like it would beat a wedge to me! Mandatory video on the tree sticking though! Pics or it didn't happen you know! LOL! That edge don't look like the tree sticking kind! Pftt!
Perhaps I'll video it... maybe it will be the same as someone looking? course knowing my luck I'll completely miss and hit my smell phone.

NM, if your using a thin kerfed ax I bet you can stick it. I was looking at the thickness of Brian's splitting ax and it reminded me as a kid trying to stick a splitting maul...they bounce! LOL!

i just tested it ,it sticks but not like i thought it would ,i may go swap it for the longer handle one ,it has a thinner faced head

Is your cedar anything like our red cedar as far as bark? You could always power wash them. I used a fan tip on some fricken diesel powered heated pressure washer...if you ween't careful you could cut into the wood if you held it there. I have written stuff in logs before with the "said" power washer.

Hey Brian, I just remembered that I also used to use a straightned out garden hoe and sharpened the hoe edge (insert pun here). Worked awesome on ERC and pine.
seems like if i chop a strait line across the log ,it peels like an orange pretty much if it's been down a while ,think i was too much in a hurry at the store ,and got distracted by couple other guys wanting to bs when i grabbed the axe , with the cover on the tip did not see the edge i was needing

Clint, beech here is splitty and I been not jumpin um. but humbolt was still pulling fiber or crackin the beech, the block face cured that, hinge breaks clean with no pull. they are trash any way but I hate to pull......just looks wrong. now sweet gum another story, they won't split but pull fiber bad.....I might try a block on them next, it really is no trouble. ah, big gum and beech fellas.........30-50 inches and the beech all crown.

Back