The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which one?....I have (3) now! LOL! No...I haven't got the 575 XP out for a play day yet, but the 288 XP was really nice and the 372 XP...I been running the pee out of that dude with a 24" bar and really like it. I laid down some 3ft. red oaks today and a pumpkin pine... the 372 XP seems really really nice!

Which one?....I have (3) now! LOL! No...I haven't got the 575 XP out for a play day yet, but the 288 XP was really nice and the 372 XP...I been running the pee out of that dude with a 24" bar and really like it. I laid down some 3ft. red oaks today and a pumpkin pine... the 372 XP seems really really nice!

It's good to hear that you like that little orange thing! Can't wait to run one, er, mine.

Damn Brian....it really is hand forged huh?! Looks like they would have used better grained hickory though...seems like the handle would shell about 3 inches down from the ax head. Hey what length handle is that anyway? I would consider packing one of those. Is Fiskars going to cancel your sponsorship running Husky axes??? LOL!

Last edited:
Damn Brian....it really is hand forged huh?! Looks like they would have used better grained hickory though...seems like the handle would shell about 3 inches down from the ax head. Hey what length handle is that anyway? I would consider packing one of those. Is Fiskars going to cancel your sponsorship running Husky axes??? LOL!

looks like it is 20 inches overall ,good size for pounding wedges ,head is fairly heavy ,there was a felling axe there also with a longer handle maybe 25 but the head was lighter ,the guy said this one be better for wedges ,fiskars has no quality compared to these :cool:

they are going to be getting longer handled ones in again i may get one of those for firewood ,these are pretty nice quality ,don't want to hit the dirt with the sharp part for sure

Clint most times I toss my axe at the next tree to die, sometimes it even sticks (so far only when someone is looking...which is weird) I have a loop on my belt to pack it with but that seems to be more for the long walk in on a skid trail, carrying gas-oil, water, saw tends to take a whole bunch of hands, most of the stuff gets set somewhere more or less safe, but the axe goes with me to every tree. Stays at the stump while limbing and bucking, and tossed ahead to the next one.

you, may sometimes see folks carrying them in an aluminium basket type thing in the center of their back, not sure where to find one of them, seems a fair bit safer then swinging around in a hammer loop. Although I carry mine like that and its razor sharp, the only time I've cut myself with one (at least while logging...) was from a bounce back while pounding wedges, and I fall down alot... probably alot more then the rest of you...

20 inches seems ok...I'm just a bit leery of packing an ax...I stumble frequently...get hung up in brush and the like. I really like the look of hand forge metal, just seems stouter. What is it's approximate weight?

i think this is the one i have ,the guy at the sawshop said most fallers carry this one for wedges ,it actually feels short to me but the head is fairly heavy so would be good for wedges

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/accessories-old/tools/forest-tools/small-splitting-axe/

I have seen on some peoples videos that they wear them side ways across their lower back, I think that would be more for me than handle down. I know what you mean about packing gear, I hike about a 1/2 mile from the landing carrying, (2) gallons of mix, gallon of bar oil, gallon of sweet tea, a back pack with lunch and extra loop. I stash all that once I get to where I am cutting though.

Add up weights...

(1) gallon of sweet tea = 8 pounds
(2) gallon of mix = 14 pounds
(1) gallon of bar oil = ?? 7#'s maybe
(1) chainsaw = roughly 25#'s

Holy crap...56 pounds of gear..crap I only weigh 160!

Latest posts

Back