The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buncha farmer hate I'm seeing here. Y'all do much logging on an empty stomach?

Uh yeah otherwise I loose it all... have to be careful what I eat before working really hard... otherwise I end up with dirty boots and bits stuck in my beard...

not knockin the little deere, but don't discount a bit larger machine. i'v had have both, and mostly do select cuts. not much wider depending on tire size but much more power.

Power is a good thing...

The little deere serves me well but there have been a few logs on this last job where more grunt would have made things easier and safer... (40" 27' hemlock peeler, weights almost as much as the missus). But by god's she pulled it, 1st gear and full throttle but she pulled it... only broke the winch line once on that one... and a choker... :rolleyes2:

Uh yeah otherwise I loose it all... have to be careful what I eat before working really hard... otherwise I end up with dirty boots and bits stuck in my beard...

Power is a good thing...

The little deere serves me well but there have been a few logs on this last job where more grunt would have made things easier and safer... (40" 27' hemlock peeler, weights almost as much as the missus). But by god's she pulled it, 1st gear and full throttle but she pulled it... only broke the winch line once on that one... and a choker... :rolleyes2:

You should try Amsteel Blue 3/4" for winch lines. Being so close to their plant, you wouldn't even have to pay shipping. Or you might find some remnants cheaper from a rigging shop? The FS did a report on Amsteel Blue. You can find it online -- they found it to be more productive an safer.

I have a hank of 3/8" my Bro gave me and I love it! Super strong stuff, and easier to splice than wire.

That's gotta suck. I'm a firm devotee of a getting some good food in me first thing in the morning (even if it is at 10AM with my night job), otherwise I feel like I'm spinning my wheels all day.

Got some bacon and eggs in the pan right now.

Power is a good thing...

I agree, I don't like to go out with all that grub on board, ack

You should try Amsteel Blue 3/4" for winch lines. Being so close to their plant, you wouldn't even have to pay shipping. Or you might find some remnants cheaper from a rigging shop? The FS did a report on Amsteel Blue. You can find it online -- they found it to be more productive an safer.

I have a hank of 3/8" my Bro gave me and I love it! Super strong stuff, and easier to splice than wire.

I don't know man, it doesn't hold up for squat in abrasive work (like a line skidder) doesn't do will in a poorly maintained fair lead (like a line skidder) snaps back despite what the adds say, and running slidders on it is a no no.

Not to mention its really ####ing expensive.

Read in LW magazine that a crew was using it for straw line, which does make sense, being how the straw line is only used in setting up it doesn't spend all day being drug though mud, rocks, stumps, sand, innocent bystanders, foresters, county inspectors, the occasional scrap car, through brush piles...

And the synthetic stuff does get UV damage...

That's gotta suck. I'm a firm devotee of a getting some good food in me first thing in the morning (even if it is at 10AM with my night job), otherwise I feel like I'm spinning my wheels all day.

Got some bacon and eggs in the pan right now.

I can usually handle a light breakfast, but nothing huge, but except for a few pretzels lunch is out of the question.

I don't know man, it doesn't hold up for squat in abrasive work (like a line skidder) doesn't do will in a poorly maintained fair lead (like a line skidder) snaps back despite what the adds say, and running slidders on it is a no no.

Not to mention its really ####ing expensive.

Read in LW magazine that a crew was using it for straw line, which does make sense, being how the straw line is only used in setting up it doesn't spend all day being drug though mud, rocks, stumps, sand, innocent bystanders, foresters, county inspectors, the occasional scrap car, through brush piles...

And the synthetic stuff does get UV damage...

I can usually handle a light breakfast, but nothing huge, but except for a few pretzels lunch is out of the question.

Not sure bout all that? Sam runs it on his skidders and doesn't seem to have problems. But, it is pricey.

Does the name of this commune start with Dead?

not sure, it is just out of grand round and Willamina . has not really been a a full blown commune since the late 70's early 80's. but i'll ask when i go back out next week to do a little finish up.

some pics from the commune this morn. and what is becoming one of my fav saws. ol ug 272. sure pulls good.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
accept the first pic is the 61/272 hybrid.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 50
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 47
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
and it rained , but the wind was not to bad. sitting here smelling firry. love that smell.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 42
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 42
Pics = Liked. clean site

272 good saws. wouldn't say there fuel sippers, but not guzzler either.
no autotune stuff, no start/run problems any time of year. only real cold is winter plate needed.

See the yeeow, green, oragne wedge.
What happened to blue one ? :laugh:

Pics = Liked. clean site

272 good saws. wouldn't say there fuel sippers, but not guzzler either.
no autotune stuff, no start/run problems any time of year. only real cold is winter plate needed.

See the yeeow, green, oragne wedge.
What happened to blue one ? :laugh:
still in the box, you forgot the pink one.:msp_rolleyes:

Nice pics Pac! Thanks for sharing. I really like how the moss grows on your alls timber! Probably something you guys don't even really think about. Everything out there is so green.

Hey Pac, I have seen you mention "the commune" several times...what is the commune?

Not sure bout all that? Sam runs it on his skidders and doesn't seem to have problems. But, it is pricey.

If memory serves Slamm runs a grapple skidder and isn't using the winch all day, I do remember him saying the synthetic stuff didn't like contact with the grapples, would snap it.

What every happened to Slamm anyway, haven't seen a post from him in ages.

Nice pics Pac! Thanks for sharing. I really like how the moss grows on your alls timber! Probably something you guys don't even really think about. Everything out there is so green.

Hey Pac, I have seen you mention "the commune" several times...what is the commune?

thats why they call us mossybacks out here. well the irony is that the property was an old hippie commune. lasted about a decade or so. now we are logging it. actually the owner and original resident is an pretty nice guy.

Well it sure is pretty out there! I would love to cut timber like that! Let me clarify...not the "wolfy" stuff so much. I shot a video this morning of a fatty "bull" pine I fell...I went ahead and videoed a bit of the limbing on it, fairly large limbs. Those old "bull" pine have really rosined up limbs...hard as glass.

I think you all call that machine a forwarder right? How does that work anyway? I assume you bunch yer timber and then skid it with a skidder? Or do you get trucks in to those decks? It is so different from how we log here. How about your lay outs? Do you cut just like you would for a skidder or for an aerial setup? Sorry for all the questions.

I have been thinking alot lately about whether or not a forwarder could be any advantage here. South of me in more consistant flat ground I would say a forwarder would be great in pine thinnings...especially FS jobs where everything is in nice rows. In the hills and rough country here, I don't think a forwarder would help...if it could be used at all. It's like we have just enough steep, rough ground to knock the forwarder idea out, but yet not steep at all compared to what you all have.

You may have seen a car covered in moss out there? Been sitting in a swamp for 20 years...

well we got moss on new daily drivers out here. only takes a month or two of not warshing them...

there is also and old adage about moss only growing on the north side of a tree, well thats bull####... and no its not thicker on one side its just everydamn where

Latest posts

Back