The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we may not have "winch trucks" but us gypos are no strangers to boom trucks

Scary long boom like 40' sticking out one end of a broken old truck couple of winches on there one to raise and lower the boom the other to yard sticks out of the bushes.

If done correctly you should be panicking every few minutes or so

yep, y'all do know about um. yea I ain't never goin back to that lol.

Nice pictures Pac!

JakeG- If you are serious about logging full time I'd start calling dnr foresters in your area and see what mills are buying the standing timber. Call the mills and see what they pay and get hooked up with their foresters. If you cut for a mill than you will always have timber in front of you (or should as long as the mill is legit). I think it would be tough keeping wood in front of you, buying it on your own. Especially starting out. I also wouldn't spend less than $20k on a new machine. You start dippin lower than that and you might end up turning wrenches more than logging. Buy a machine you can readily get parts for. Also the part time logging thing doesn't usually work out when you've got payments to make on a machine. If you've got the cash to buy a skidder outright then I'm sure the day job/weekend logger thing could work, but you will also end up working your ass off for it. I've heard of a few guys who tried the day job/ weekend thing and they couldn't make it go. I actually finished cutting two jobs from two different crews that went under. Me, I quit my job and went all in. I didn't have any production logging experience and the first 6-8 months was pretty tough. I mean barely scrapin by. I always made my payment on the machine though. Eventually something clicked, but if I were you I'd get hooked up with a mill that has buying power and is buying lots of timber in your area. Count every single tree and log you make. Count every log that goes on the trucks. Level your numbers against what they scale it at and make sure that the numbers keep workin out every time, consistently for a long time. If they don't find someone else to cut for. Eventually work your way into buying your own timber, but when cutting for a mill at least you can get a check on a regular basis.

Can't see it either Ms. P.

Thanks bitzer. General advice is always welcomed and appreciated.

I work full time 200 days per year with good benefits, and I have every intention of keeping those benefits. I'd like to buy a skidder outright but 20k ain't gonna happen anytime soon unless I borrow. It won't depreciate in the time it'll take me to figure out if I can make this work or not. If it works out, I plan on staying small and keeping overhead low.

I'm sure mills will want their bought timber ASAP, so being a part timer that's probably out of the question. Right now I'm just saving money, getting rid of old projects/hobbies and getting my wife on board with this. After joining me in the woods on my last tract (for one day) she's slowly coming around. Again, thanks bitzer!

Last edited:
Can't see it either Ms. P.

Thanks bitzer. General advice is always welcomed and appreciated.

I work full time 200 days per year with good benefits, and I have every intention of keeping those benefits. I'd like to buy a skidder outright but 20k ain't gonna happen anytime soon unless I borrow. It won't depreciate in the time it'll take me to figure out if I can make this work or not. If it works out, I plan on staying small and keeping overhead low. Again, thanks bitzer!

If you get to the point of buying a machine, you'll get itchy to quit your other job. That and its tough to convince a bank to give you a loan if you are only doing something on the side. Not saying you're going the bank route, but you get the jist. The itch doesn't go away.

Latest posts

Back