The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not sure if you all have seen this series ,i had to do a tow call today for this guy ,he is at the beginning with the horses ,looks like there was a series of these shows done some time back ,he looked much older today when i saw him ,not that that's a bad thing ,logs with machines also

That is my 36v hedge clipper. It cost me about 100 bucks, and does great in the jasmine around my garage doors, thanks for asking.
Ohhh, were you asking about the giant nasty chainsaw?! That sugi light is a 36, and I picked it up in the latest WatsonR group buy for 147 shipped. It balances great with the 394, and is just slightly nose heavier than with the 28" power match

not sure if you all have seen this series ,i had to do a tow call today for this guy ,he is at the beginning with the horses ,looks like there was a series of these shows done some time back ,he looked much older today when i saw him ,not that that's a bad thing ,logs with machines also

Yup, Jim is a good guy. Friend of mine use to load for him. Maybe still does?

I've had a few this year that I couldn't get all the way through from one side with a 42, but that thing feels about 10lbs heavier than the Sugi light. Mostly wanted something between the 28" and 42". That being said, I'd prolly want that same setup if I lived in Manhattan. I may be compensating for other deficiencies, but I do like big (medium actually) saws

nice setup, from what i've heard Texas does it big...so i figure that's gotta be about the average saw yawl got fer cuttin yer christmas trees :p

speakin of Texas, what's goin on with Big Tex? I only heard about him burning down, didnt hear anything after that

nice setup, from what i've heard Texas does it big...so i figure that's gotta be about the average saw yawl got fer cuttin yer christmas trees :p

speakin of Texas, what's goin on with Big Tex? I only heard about him burning down, didnt hear anything after that
Good to see you 4x4. Are you still logging? I don't know what happened to the big guy, but don't tell the other texans!

haha ok my lips are sealed!

I'm working on my buddys dairy farm now...but we still have fun in the woods with our saws and use the tractors to skid logs out. just have to do it in between chores.

that gypo I was working for was like working for axe men, so much drama involved, screaming, throwing things, alot of unsafe things i saw, coworkers were constantly smokin that stuff that makes ya laugh funny on the job...boss was just ridiculous. he'd look down on me for bringing an ax because he chops branches to size to pound wedges, when we'd order saws from out west with the proper full wrap handles, he'd cut it into a half wrap because he said you cant cut the stump low enough with a full wrap...

i'm moving up to the north country soon enough and i'm going to try to find another job either in the woods or at a sawmill. a friend of a friend's old man owns his own little gypo outfit and i talked with him awhile back and he wanted me to come to work with him. But that guys always drinkin heavily, I'm not sure if he drinks whilst working in the woods but if he does...welll...I don't like working with people who are always in a fog. There's a time and a place.

I've also been working on a home made CSM, it's all posted up there in the milling section

depuzuse.jpg

These are about as big as I can work with the processor. Hand cut a few of the biggest ones.

I've had a few this year that I couldn't get all the way through from one side with a 42, but that thing feels about 10lbs heavier than the Sugi light. Mostly wanted something between the 28" and 42". That being said, I'd prolly want that same setup if I lived in Manhattan. I may be compensating for other deficiencies, but I do like big (medium actually) saws

Bigger isn't always better, you gotta "sharpen" your teef on a shorter bar :D

actually for falling timber bigger is always better, bigger saws, bigger bars, it all goes hand in hand. you can whine and snivel all you want about a 20" being enough. Fact of the matter is long bars and big saws put more wood on the ground per hour, and they do it safer. You can take that gol crap and stuff it. It only give the illusion of safety, if I make cuts a, then it goes here and every thing is hunky dory, B.S. There is far more to falling timber than following some jerks one "tried and true" method. Of course if your just falling a few trees for the wood shed I guess it doesn't really matter then does it.

I'd fall with husk any time anywhere, as long as he stays in his strip...

image.jpg Well, the 114 dl chain for the Sugi arrived. Sharpened it how I like, slapped it on the 394 and went cut some wood. Forgot to change the sprocket and fried the clutch in 10 minutes. 30 bucks wasted

I'm humbly honored. I'm also very impressed with your bravery.
Blazin, I own small saws with small bars. I use them to cut down small trees, they're just not that fun to talk about.

Right tool for the job! Place and a time for everything, fling a 36" bar in a red pine thinning here you'd look like a tard with a small pecker. Kudos

Back