"THE"sharp chain thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this thread is for any links to info on how to grind, file or in any way make any chain perform better-please add some if you know of any good ones-thanks !

----------------------------------------------------------------------
please keep discussion to a minimum-this threads just for links-thanks
----------------------------------------------------------------------

It should be noted that at the end of each thread there is a list of related threads

There has been a Cutter's Choice store in London Ontario for years. At one time it was called Zip Penn. My Father, Uncle, and Great Uncle used the Standard Chipper chains for as long as I can remember, and I have bought them myself. Now I can't buy this type of chain. I can only get Chisel Chain, Semi Chisel Chain, and Skip Tooth Chain. I have a couple of Semi Chisel, and 1Chisel Chain. Can someone tell me the difference of the 3 types of chains?
I have a Jolly chain saw chain grinding machine, with a 1/4" flat grinding wheel for depth gauges, and I have a grinding wheel for sharpening 3/8 and .404 chain saw chains, that I got from cutters choice a few years ago. Something like the Oregon chain saw chain grinding machine.
I have read about Square Grinding, of Filing on the Razor Sharp Chain Forum, and one of the guys posted a picture of a tooth that was square ground. It looked real neat, and I thought I would like to give it a try. Another guy posted this forum for me. I was on the Vallorbe Racing Cut System, and a guy there told me to come to this Forum for assistance
OK now for some questions. Will I able to preform square sharpening these chains that I already have? Will I be able to preform this task. with my grinding machine? If I'm able to do square grinding with my machine, what degrees do I need to set my power to? What type of wheel will I have to get, or will I be able to use the grinding wheels I already have?
Presently I sharpen my chains at a 30degree angle, and my power head is set at 60 degree tilt. Last question. Is this type of sharpening recommended for cutting Soft Maple(Sugar Maple), and Ash?
As I have told the other guys on the forums that I have already visited, that I am new to this website, and so far I have found it very interesting, and I have learned a great deal of information, that I never Seen, or heard of. Very informative.
Your help and advise would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to learning from you.
Thanks Bruce.

Today, 03:05 PM #35
24d
Turns Wood To Ashes

Click HERE and that will get you started + you can do a search on GOOFY and SQUARE that should keep you busy for days (or years in my case) also try to ask just one question per post, reason for that is one person might not know all the answers and would be hesitant to answer just the one they know.

Later,

PS WELCOME!

----I like fast stuff----

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by 24d : Today at 03:34 PM.

howdy,

i've never run chipper chain. apparently it is tough stuff, and resists dulling very well.

chisel cuts much faster, but dulls more quickly when hitting rocks and dirt. i'm told semi chisel is half way in between.

when i say chisel, i mean round filed chisel. i use the exact same angles as you when i grind my chisel chain. the sides of the grinder are rounded off, and i can use a round file to touch up the chains to make them even sharper then the grinder makes them.

the next step is to square file them. you can square file them with a special grinder, or with a special handfile at really weird angles. My grinder won't do the square grinding. i doubt yours will either.

square is even faster then round filing, but dulls much quicker. around here, some of the very serious fallers will use square cut chain, but none of us firewood guys do.

racers apparently all use square file as the cuts are short and small, and no danger of dirt.

hope this helps,
doug

Back