"THE"sharp chain thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

24d

Turns Wood To Ashes
Reaction score
this thread is for any links to info on how to grind, file or in any way make any chain perform better-please add some if you know of any good ones-thanks !

----------------------------------------------------------------------
please keep discussion to a minimum-this threads just for links-thanks
----------------------------------------------------------------------

It should be noted that at the end of each thread there is a list of related threads

Last edited:
It would be square if you want to win races.

Heres a note:
Chains will only get so sharp, fast chains rely more on chip removal.

Chain

In my day, felling a old growth tree at the stump where the wood fiber is a lot more dense and harder for the chain to clean the cut out and clear the tooth for the next cutter of the chain. This is where full skip chain is thought to be the best chain as a full skip chain allows the the chain to do a better job of cleaning out the cut so the next tooth can pull more wood free which clears the cut of being clogged with the remaining residue from the previous cutting tooth. Trial and error for the beginning arborist or timber faller is essential to becomming faster, safer and using less power from the power unit itself..this is true in both soft and hard woods.

Last edited:
Criteria for race chain

Lets start talking about really fast chain. Here are some of the tricks I know:

1. Gullets -- I like to bring the tooth back to the second rivet. then clean the gullets all the way to the tie straps. This helps in chip removal. If your cutters load up you will slow down. This also lightens the chain up some.

2. Back of the cutters -- I like to shorten them up from behind also. the optimum is as short a cutter as you can get without breaking off. Also lightens it up some more.

3. Raker depth -- It is a big misconception to think deeper cutters cut faster. On chainsaws I rarely go over .020 and on bike saws .040. I prefer shallow cutters and big sprockets. Again you are trying to keep from loading the cutters up.

4. Drivers and tie straps -- This one is iffy. Some shows wont let you touch this area of the chain and some will. I like to cut a big dish in the top of all of the tie straps, if you have ever noticed the week spot in a tie strap is on the outside of the rivet (inside between the rivets is free game). This lightens them up and caries more chips. Another thing you can do is drill holes in all of the drivers to lighten em.

5. Rivets -- Another touchy area when it comes to certain shows. If you flatten them down to the ties straps you will have less friction and cut faster.

6. Kerf -- Narrowing the cutters will make less work of the cut and less chips to move.

Latest posts

Back