The Stihl MS661 C-M recall

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would expect them to be sorted out at this point, I would think that if there are issues it would still be with earlier produced saws but wouldn't be the first time I'd be wrong.
One just needs to find a later saw.
The 2013 MS661 I had was trouble for the previous owner and then for me.
It had a bunch of warranty repairs and finally a full overhaul before I got it.
Then when I had it a crack was discovered on the Clutch-side.... leaked and would not run right.
I barely got a full tank through it and never got to fall with it... bummer.
Got it gone and found a 2016 MS661R.

The 2016 was a Great saw. Could see some changes.
The Clutch cover had changed. Everything seemed tighter fitting.
Subjective of course.....I would not worry about MS661 saws built after 2016.
If I get one big project I'm bidding on... I'll buy another.

Stihl should have field tested the MS661 longer.
I think they learned their lesson which is one reason why the MS462 is taking so long to arrive.

Yea I think I just started my business at a bad time to buy saws. Maybe the Obama EPA forced their hand to do some things they weren't ready for. The 201t wouldn't idle til I yanked out the spark arrestor and pried the louvre open. 362 is okay but I did not know about the summer/winter flippy thing so that was a pita till I figured it out I'm pretty sure if stihl doesnt do anything or me I'll sell the carcass and start looking for a cherry 066 or 660 for now. These saws all seem fat and heavy to me. The 036 and 46 I just got start way easier too.

I brought the saw home and took the cylinder off. The top end is wiped but the crank seems fine. Will stihl just give me the updated coil and whatever else or diagnose it or something ? The first dealer- I know more about saws than them

Attachments

• 15385298137482240291349419245297.jpg
    15385298137482240291349419245297.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
$1200 for p&c here, mate just toasted his one. He was considering a repair and told the dealer it would be stihls last chance, my advice was to put the money into a new saw and not another 661 unless you like gambling.

$1200 for p&c here, mate just toasted his one. He was considering a repair and told the dealer it would be stihls last chance, my advice was to put the money into a new saw and not another 661 unless you like gambling.
Happy with my 395, but to be honest, haven't used it as much as planned. Certainly glad I waited to see if the probs with the early 661's was an anomaly and sorted promptly. Also glad I don't have to rely on one for a living. Those who do, and relied on Stihl's reputation, have every right to be highly unamused with their basket case/erratic 661's.

Definitly worth it. When stihl finally put my 661 back to manual carb it was a good saw. I agreed to buy another if they would convert it back straight away. They wouldnt said no need all the problems are sorted....that was 3 390's ago.

One just needs to find a later saw.
The 2013 MS661 I had was trouble for the previous owner and then for me.
It had a bunch of warranty repairs and finally a full overhaul before I got it.
Then when I had it a crack was discovered on the Clutch-side.... leaked and would not run right.
I barely got a full tank through it and never got to fall with it... bummer.
Got it gone and found a 2016 MS661R.

The 2016 was a Great saw. Could see some changes.
The Clutch cover had changed. Everything seemed tighter fitting.
Subjective of course.....I would not worry about MS661 saws built after 2016.
If I get one big project I'm bidding on... I'll buy another.

Stihl should have field tested the MS661 longer.
I think they learned their lesson which is one reason why the MS462 is taking so long to arrive.
pm sent

Latest posts

Back