The Stihl MS661 C-M recall

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm very interested in the 661 too. I've been waiting for them to hit the US for a month now. I called my local dealer and was given an MSRP of $1209 with a 20" bar on it and he said he could probably knock off $50 from that. Would take him 2 days to get one. So my conundrum is, should I buy the 661 or wait to see what the price is at another dealer that has been selling 660s for $985 for the past 6 weeks? Or maybe just buy a 660? I also just bought a new Husqvarna T540 and that thing is a beast!

As for the nomenclature on the 661... the 661s sold in the US are all C models, meaning they are M-tronic. They have electronic metering and control of the carb and ignition/timing advance. You cannot tune them by hand like the older saws. As the M-tronic is considered by Stihl to be a convenience, it gets the C designation (German mentality for you). IMO they should be badged as the MS661 M, but they do not ask me my advice at Stihl. So what you see on the badge on the 661s sold here are MS661 C, but the C really means M, which means M-tronic. Aside from this, there are non M-tronic 661 saws sold in parts of Europe which are badged MS661. Clear as mud?

Ok, are there any updates on the 661cm? are we ok to buy one now or are they still not right?

As I posted earlier on this thread: Stihl MS661 (CM and non-CM) chainsaws with serial numbers between 177 367 909 and 177 751 744 have been recalled in Europe. One would presume that they should also be recalled here (no word of that happening stateside yet) or just avoided with those serial numbers, unless they have been rebuilt with the new slug, jug, intake boot and gasket. The 661 saws hitting the market now should be the redesigned/revised ones from the factory and good to go.

"C" means features. "M" is m-tronic, "E" is easy2start, "B" means quick chain adjuster and so on.

Careful, sometimes Stihl uses the same letters for different things on different saws, for example, on some previous saws, C meant Comfort Feature, and had nothing to do with M-Tronic!

According to Stihl, C means any comfort feature, such as the M for M-tronic on the 661. In the past, the C has been designated to the Q model quick stop brake feature, the E Easy 2 Start feature, the B Quick Chain Adjuster, or a combination of these features. I think it gets lost in translation from German.

Hi everybody from Italy! i have a MS661C-M, and i'm having some troubles. I have the old intake boot, but any of you know what else was changed from the first edition?
Mine is a 2013. Lots of power, but a lean idle that sometimes makes the chainsaw stall is driving me crazy!
Thank you in advance!
Gabriele

Hi everybody from Italy! i have a MS661C-M, and i'm having some troubles. I have the old intake boot, but any of you know what else was changed from the first edition?
Mine is a 2013. Lots of power, but a lean idle that sometimes makes the chainsaw stall is driving me crazy!
Thank you in advance!
Gabriele

Perhaps a factory software update? Seems the guys said some of the cylinders were bad as well, but don't know. Someone who does will be around to comment.

From what i have read and heard on this site, there is a newer coil out. My dealer did not see an update in their system though. So the saw was fine and is now running lean at idle? Might be useful to check the pressure and vacuum and rubber lines to be sure before anything else, and then do the reset by starting without bar on choke for 90 sec, then turn off without hitting throttle, then do same but on run. then put on bar and make 5 cuts. I just fixed a 2013 661 that had a bad crank and the clutch seal was leaking air, as well as decomp valve, and had o-ring loose in intake. I did replace the boot with new style, and replaced seals and crank, runs good now with original coil and carb, and idles fine, though only had 2 tanks so far.

After you confirm if there is no vac/pressure leak, next cheapest thing is to buy a new solenoid, someone posted here somewhere a technical information bulletin update on replacement of solenoid with service notes and troubleshooting if engine does not start or dies at idle or speed drops under load. Solenoid here was about $20 here and sounds like the most common part that needs to be replaced, so often in stock at dealers as a "spare part", mine is walbro, same if zama but different style holder for solenoid. Also order new intake tube, not too expensive, new ones at my dealer have them installed from factory. Its very likely one of the old style o-rings is loose in there.

I want to update this post. I've never posted before but am a longtime lurker. About a week ago my 661 did the thing it always does, gets hard to start and forced me to put it down in the middle of sawing wood on the job and go to a smaller saw. I pulled the spark plug and it looked suspect so I ran and got another. The saw ran but still acted up. Saturday I did some big white pine takedowns and the saw started acting up again, except this time it broke. I took off the b&c and starter and tried to turn by hand, its locked up. Started looking on forums , it seems I have the bad cylinder and module. I purchased the saw 6/25/15. I cant find newer posts because apparently these saws were called back and the problem remedied by stihl before a lot got to the public. I dont use the saw every day and not much in winter. 3 years and two months, just out of warranty. I bought the saw after a storm and I believe the shop had sold all of their saws. I asked for a 460 , they said they were out but would give me a 660 at the 460 cost. I put it in the truck and left, not noticing it was a 661 until later, which I did not know existed at the time and certainly did not know were recalled. Has anyone else had one of these saws blow up prematurely? All of my saws are under 5yrs old. All going strong, including the 193 and 201 which see the most use. just looking to get some light shed on this and wondering if I'm screwed or not by stihl and the dealer that sold a saw that was supposed to go back to Germany to be refitted.

Latest posts

Back