The Stihl MS661 C-M recall

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Problem with that is that if a saw fails, you take it to the dealer to get resolved under warranty. They ship it back to the factory (as has been stated by all the people that have had saws fail). There is nothing to take pictures of in that process. Quite by design. Stihl will not allow it.

Oh look, someone else posted from WI directly answering your points. Thank you lmbrman. Same story as has been posted in the UK and the EU. Still not satisfied? You still want to be a champion for Stihl here?

Wait a tic I never said I wanted to be a champion for stihl. I have stated I have a vested interest if there really is a recall or just a few failures. I would think someone would have pulled a muffler and taken a snap. To me a recall would cause all the units to be pulled off the shelves and that is not the case. So do not get it confused I simply ask because I am being asked to facilitate some 661's here at home before the dealer gets them. I have been in contact with a bloke I used to work with in the Forestry Management department of the local town I was stationed at in Germany and he has said the saw runs amazingly well, and the units they have are running top notch. I can only go by that. Sorry if I am not clear enough English is not my first language or my second.

I wonder if the 661 jug and slug I sent Randy had any changes from the original one on that 661. I've never had to wait so long for a Stihl part.

Any idea on the purchase timeframe on that slug/jug? Reason I ask is the local guy here is still waiting for a replacement, dealer said he cannot get one yet.

I wish I could have seen the one that blew apart. Dealer called it 'sudden massive failure' and as I think back on it, there was no top cover with the returned saw.

The dealer plans to call me when he gets the replacement p/c.

Wait a tic I never said I wanted to be a champion for stihl. I have stated I have a vested interest if there really is a recall or just a few failures. I would think someone would have pulled a muffler and taken a snap. To me a recall would cause all the units to be pulled off the shelves and that is not the case. So do not get it confused I simply ask because I am being asked to facilitate some 661's here at home before the dealer gets them. I have been in contact with a bloke I used to work with in the Forestry Management department of the local town I was stationed at in Germany and he has said the saw runs amazingly well, and the units they have are running top notch. I can only go by that. Sorry if I am not clear enough English is not my first language or my second.

The saw here in WI was recalled, but the owner did not leave valid contact info on the warranty as some people do not wish to make their phone number and address public more than necessary. The guy had no idea there was a recall until the saw blew and he returned to the dealer. Other 661 sold at that dealer were returned and replacement 660 was given or they could wait for a post recall 661.

Any of us here would have snapped a pic, and I hoped to but no p/c present and no pics allowed, and I hate to pizz of a dealer that has treated me good but getting pushy. I noted to myself he did not even call me until the p/c was gone. Tough for us on this site to recognize that most saw users are not that into discussing saws, just use the tool and forget it. The truth will come out,, mostly.

Word is from Oz that they are being told that the 661 will be out there sometime between 9 months and a year from now. All they have seen down under of the 661 are some prototype saws that were sent back to Germany after field testing.

As with all of you I am waiting to check to this saw out, I was so sure it was coming late last year that i took my 660, painted it, and gave it to my wife for Christmas (see pic below). I use an 066 or 394 anyway. Look on the bright side, put away $100 starting now (or better yet last month) and when it comes out you might have enough cash for it, kind of like putting it on Layaway!

OH, i paid $500 for that 660 so figured couldn't lose much

whole side.JPG top (2).JPG

Word is from Oz that they are being told that the 661 will be out there sometime between 9 months and a year from now. All they have seen down under of the 661 are some prototype saws that were sent back to Germany after field testing.
Went to my local stihl dealer yesterday must have been there at the right time because the stihl rep pulled up when I did and I hit him up on the 661 he told me that the saw had a overheating problem he stopped short of saying it was a crook piston stihl Ozz reacon they will have the 661 on the shelf by September although time will tell:D

I got to run one and like it. If they had them out when they said they would I was going to buy one.

I got to run one and like it. If they had them out when they said they would I was going to buy one.

The one I ordered actually made it to the saw shop in January. I was given the option of running it or sending it back. If I ran it and it blew up it would be covered by warranty but it would have to go to Germany for analysis and repair. I sent it back. Never even took it out of the box.

I was ready to buy at one point also, now I lost interest. Maybe the deep snow is part of my lack of interest. I never got to run one yet, but will.

The one I ordered actually made it to the saw shop in January. I was given the option of running it or sending it back. If I ran it and it blew up it would be covered by warranty but it would have to go to Germany for analysis and repair. I sent it back. Never even took it out of the box.

I was thinking it would be a good milling saw for me running a 36-42" bar since they said the oiler out put was better than the 660. I can't say I blame you for sending it back. It would be a hassle for you if it did blow.

I was thinking it would be a good milling saw for me running a 36-42" bar since they said the oiler out put was better than the 660. I can't say I blame you for sending it back. It would be a hassle for you if it did blow.

It was tempting to keep it and if they ever get the problems ironed out I'll probably get one. I still have my 'Slingr 660 for a back-up saw but it's promised to somebody else. I bought a 461 to use for now.

Your crazy, I woulda taken it and ran it lolololol. Then I would have post picture's on here and rubbing it in everyone's face lolololol

Did you not have other saws you could have used if the 661 did actually break?

Why take the risk? The probability is higher that he would get a bad one from the early batch of saws. Then its a PITA to wait for a fix or another saw, like others are doing now. Bob is not exactly the 'needs to show off' kind of guy. He also has other saws. Just read up a few posts...

You seem to be an in your face showboat kind of guy. You should put your money down on a 661, then you can rub it in all you want. There are 661s still out there on some shelves. Then when it goes kablooey, you can tell us how great the experience it is dealing with getting the saw fixed under warranty at your dealer and waiting around for a fix. Or buy one on CL used or here on AS voiding the warranty. Then when it goes kablooey, tell us how great that is. lol lol lol lol lol lol lol...

Your crazy, I woulda taken it and ran it lolololol. Then I would have post picture's on here and rubbing it in everyone's face lolololol

Did you not have other saws you could have used if the 661 did actually break?

Well, that's the difference between you and I. I use saws to make my living and I need to be able to depend on them. You apparently use saws to score points off of other people, make yourself feel better, and generally make an ass out of yourself.
That's okay, everybody should go with their main talents and abilities. You obviously do.

And yes, I have other saws I can use.

Latest posts

Back