the ultimate Stih flippy cap poll ...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your opinion on the Stihl flippy caps

• Total voters
Thank you master. We understand each other.

Now that being said, I'll be looking forward sitting on that stump with you and break that flippy cap per accident and say...oh, I am so sorry....NOT...:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

It's a bit silly actually, seeing grown men having these discussions about something so unsignificant as a fuel cap. I remember when BMW, the leading car producer here in europe, introduced the "intelligent knob" to control all car accessories such as radio, navigation, airco, etc on their 7 series. It was promoted as the best invention since coca cola. In reality, BMW lost many loyal customers because it was too complicated to use. They couldn't crawl backwards but they have invested tons of money in new software to make it more simple to use.

I myself prefer still that little knob for tuning a radio, instead of all the high tech stuff. I won't buy a car without it.

Many engineers don't realise that people like simple solutions.

:cheers:

Roland,

As this thread is drawing to its natural conclusion, I submit that one important item has failed to garner any discussion. Innovation, which sometimes results in a measure of failure, is the highway of progress. We must applaud those that dare look "outside the box" and also, look at engineering and technical innovation where no perceived problem exist. I ask:

Did we need an airplane when Orville and Wilbur Wright started tinkering in their bicycle shop in Dayton, Ohio?

I'm sure that the naysayers at the time said something like, "If G0D had wanted man to fly, He'd have given us wings."

Did anyone really think we needed an electric starter when Charles Kettering worked away in his lab in Dayton, Ohio?

I'm sure that the naysayers at the time said something like, "I've been driving since Ransom Olds first build a car, and I'm man enough to start it. Hand cranks never fail. I'm old school baby."

Now, BMWs initial use of iDrive had many complaints. However, most were from people that didn't own and use the system. In fact, iDrive was developed to solve the "chiclet dash" problem, that is, an enourmous, complicated array of buttons on the dash to control the ever increasing number of functions for the automobiles auxilliary systems. Most users of the current generation of iDrive would not want to go back to the multi-button old style ways. Also, did you notice what BMWs high dollar competitors are doing with their controls?

Yes, innovation has benefits, but, at a cost. The cost of ridicule by the naysayers and those that get all too comfortable with their established ways and things.

But, I could be wrong,

ole joat

Last edited:
I do agree with you Stihl did not forsee the problems with these caps. They had no idea how many people would be completely at awwww with these simple little caps. Why even my own brother has dumped fuel down his leg after refueling his 361. He was complaining about those caps on Thanksgiving at the table. My other brother told him welp they're suppose to be dummy proof but obviously Stihl didn't take you into account. My brother groweled and fumned while we laffed our azz off,LOLOLOLOL

Tommie,

Make this simple for me please. Are you saying that the Belgian is your dumb brother?
Wow,

ole joat

nah, i'b be willing to bet that both his brothers are named darryl.
;)

Did we need an airplane when Orville and Wilbur Wright started tinkering in their bicycle shop in Dayton, Ohio?

I'm sure that the naysayers at the time said something like, "If G0D had wanted man to fly, He'd have given us wings."

Did anyone really think we needed an electric starter when Charles Kettering worked away in his lab in Dayton, Ohio?

I'm sure that the naysayers at the time said something like, "I've been driving since Ransom Olds first build a car, and I'm man enough to start it. Hand cranks never fail. I'm old school baby."

ole joat

Sound like Ohio is a pretty great place:greenchainsaw:

:ices_rofl: This is not about who's right or wrong actually, it's only a matter of opinion. If I were Stihl, I'd be not too proud of the vote result anyway.

It may have occurred to you that the female sawyers on this forum voted for the old style caps. That is an overwhelming argument, as there is no person better suited than a woman to judge the practical side of things.

That is one of the many forces of "girl power" :bowdown::bowdown::laugh:

Rollie ole girl,

When did you become a "girl power" member?

ole joat

Wondering if barbie stickers will come standard when the 363 is introduced. Or if they will continue to be an aftermarket modification.

WB,

You guys, or, whatever you want to be called, are really coming out of the closet now.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, yeah right!

ole joat

Joat, let's not complicate things here. Nobody is agains progress. But progress means that life should becomes easier for man, not more complicated and/or more expensive and with no significant gain.

the flippy cap does not fulfill the criteria of progress, at least in my eyes.
I rest my case.

Joat, let's not complicate things here. Nobody is agains progress. But progress means that life should becomes easier for man, not more complicated and/or more expensive and with no significant gain.

I rest my case.

Roland,

Read again, please. When innovation is attempted, not all attempts will be contemporaneously judged as successful.

I'd recommend against resting your case, as your case has not been well crafted.

ole joat

PS: Me not complicate? Ha! Even Tommie and I can use a flippy cap. Perhaps we need a dumbed down "Euro version"?

Last edited:

I rest my case.

Your case shall be rested when you set upon the stump. Together we will master you on the fine qualities of the flippy cap. You my dear freind shall go where no man has gone before, the fine school of Hall, where Loiusville Sluggers once used by the King of Swat, the mighty Babe Ruth, are the teaching tool of choice. You break that cap and I'll put a knot on your noggin so tall the airplanes will have to fly around it,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::

I like the caps, but it still makes no sense to me.

Any homeowner or logger that is prepared to run a saw with no tools is out of their mind. If you own a saw, you own a scrench, enough said. There's no way that there is a home owner that runs his saw for even 10 minutes a year that will be thankful that he has tool-less fuel and oil caps. It really was not a necessity on Stihl's part.

I can see it now, a pro logging company - "Oh sweet! Stihl really saved our asses with this one!"

But don't take me wrong on this, I do appreciate innovation. I think they're neat, but once again, not necessary. Nothing was gained, but nothing was lost.

Hehehe.

Acronym for Jack Of All Trades. A person who is somewhat proficient at a number of different things. However the phrase is usually used in conjunction with "but master of none" putting a negative connotation on an otherwise positive phrase.

Sorry Joat:laugh:

Brad,

If it took you over three years to figure that out, then, you truly are sorry.

ole joat

Running down ahia'ns is getting purdy dang personal, I am stepping out of here.

I swear I rode the long bus,, it had at least 5-6 rows or seats,, that is the long bus,, well aint it?

Latest posts

Back