the ultimate Stih flippy cap poll ...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your opinion on the Stihl flippy caps

• Total voters
I HATE flippy caps. They are an answer to a problem that never existed.

Your case shall be rested when you set upon the stump. Together we will master you on the fine qualities of the flippy cap. You my dear freind shall go where no man has gone before, the fine school of Hall, where Loiusville Sluggers once used by the King of Swat, the mighty Babe Ruth, are the teaching tool of choice. You break that cap and I'll put a knot on your noggin so tall the airplanes will have to fly around it,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::

OK Tommy,
Walk me through the process. I am obviously a "shorty bus" user on my MS 250. I swear I take the darn caps off with one hand and do NOT let go of it in an attempt to get it back in the exact same way( one hand pouring of both oil and mix). It only goes in one way yet it won't lock correctly. Don't have the same issue with the 440 though. What am I missing ? Is there a mark i can't align or is the darn cap faulty ? or should I stick with the screw ins? hehe.
A

I hated them the first couple weeks till I got used to em. I wouldn't be without them now.

what i don't understand is..............

who cares if you need a scrench? you should have one anyway to adjust the chain.

if you are the proud owner of the new Ms362,your going to need a scrench to get to the air cleaner and spark plug as well.

if your running a saw without a scrench handy,you shouldn't be running a saw.

What was wrong with the standard threaded cap? As someone said, they invented a solution to a problem that didn't exist.

There actually are marks on the caps that you line up.

Once you fill it 10-12 times you know which way the cap should point and it is not a problem.I like em because i don't have to worry about them being too tight, and they look nice.

Could go either way, I like the flippys but maybe that's just because I haven't had a bad experience YET. I don't miss them when I run my other, non-flippy saws. I'll tell you what I really like, though, is the translucent gas tank. I love being able to tell how much gas is left at a glance so I don't run it until it starts to lean out while cutting, and it's easier to see the fuel level when filling in different lights. Does Stihl have a patent on that? Why doesn't everybody do it?

Jack

Allright, enough threads about them Stihl flippy caps...let's settle this once and for all with a poll :):)

I'm avid anti-flippy cap dude myself, so I'm curious about the end result.
spit it out folks...:popcorn:

screw any cap that can't be "renewed" with an _o-friggin-ring_.

flippy caps are moronic. but i mean no dis to those who love them-- personally i'd rather wipe with corn cobs.

I'm really looking forward to adding a Stihl to my stable so haven't used the flippy caps yet but after reading all of your posts, it sounds like Stihl designed their caps for people who rode the short bus to school.

:)

:ices_rofl:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_ia7xttOugk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_ia7xttOugk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

they are caps. Ive never seen flippy caps on anything other than a stihl. Milk bottles, 40 ozs, oil cans, baby bottles, pill bottles, water bottles, gas caps, radiators, torch tanks, acid vats, shampoo bottles, beer bottles, paint cans, salad dressing, Lee & Perrins brand Worchestershire sauce, lysol wipes, clorox wipes, lysol, clorox, shoe cleaner, windshield wiper fluid, vicks 44, liquid krill, liquid shrimp, liquid squid, liquid crawdad, liquid garlic, hand lotion, mixing oil, 3 & 1 oil, toilet cleaner, car wax, palmolive, husqvarnas, 660s, dont have them....

Plus they are a pita, try working them when you are 3 sheets, regular old righty tightys are wayyyy better.....

BTW, there is NO NEED TO USE A WRENCH ON SCREW CAPS..... hand tight works every time, every time.....
you ####in dumbasses that crank down on screw caps are stupid as hell...
plus you know ####s done gone ####ed up when a plug to a hole is made up of more than one piece.......
but really the reason i dont like em is that they slather oil all over me on cold days, & tired tired summer days..... that has never ever happned with a screw cap....

Last edited by a moderator:
I`d like to see Stihl remove the flip caps from their pro series saws, The filp caps just don`t have the longevity of the screw on caps, and they also seem to accumulate more dirt. peace

The Missus jacked out the flippy on the BR-550, didn't align the marks, had to take a small screwdriver any pry it off. The only, major beef I have with Stihl is those...

I just tore my flippy caps off they suck!

I just fill up the oil and gas, stick a rag in the hole and start cutting/

Yes I get fuel and oil on my pants and it seems to use more fuel.

I only caught the saw on fire twice though and I dont have to mess with those dang caps!

gotta give credit for trying to build a better mousetrap, and i'm sure their good for the parts department too.

Back