The Woodmizer was running again!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDB777

I find unique timber and cut it up
Reaction score
Had to work off some turkey day food!

Eastern Red Cedar was the first to go:
100_1606.jpg
100_1608.jpg
100_1607.jpg

Don't have plans to slice these into smaller piece(at least for a while). So I measured, ID# 'em, and posted on my website. Probably could ask more for them, but I'd rather they moved to somewhere else for a 'project'. Otherwise they'd sit here and I'd have to do something with 'em....and I have plenty of projects already!

A chunk of Pecan crotch was next:
100_1609.jpg
100_1610.jpg
100_1611.jpg

100_1612.jpg
100_1613.jpg

All in all, the sun going down sooner kind of puts a halt to plans, was going to get after the other chunk of Black Walnut and get some other things ready for next weekends 'demo day' during the Arkansas Chapter of Penturners meeting. Hope to see a few new people attending....

Thanks for looking, and if anyone has any tips about my website....feel free to look around there and drop me a note or something.

Scott B

Scott,

I considered.....and visited your website......great job thats one of the best done "regular ugly mug guy sitting on a log" website I have ever seen! (just joking bout the ugly mug).

Whats a penturner? Am I correct in thinking wooden pens (ie the clear plastic part of a bic that holds the ink insert but made of wood?......for lack of a better way to say it)?

How to you find your logs after dragging them with a hand winch/come along, do you clean them before milling?

I got the base for my mill moved today, the snow put a damper on things, hope the weather holds out so I can get my mill head to the new site before the weather sets in, or it will have to make the trip in pieces and be re-assembled there.

Penturner = Any pen made either with a 'kit' or even 'kitless' out of anything you can think of mounting on a lathe.

A few of mine:
IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

SpaltedRedOak_SatinBaronRB002.jpg

AfghanPineConeChromeCartridge.jpg

Sedonax4.jpg

I'm pretty good about spraying the logs with either a waterhose with adjustable spray nozzle. Most have a fair amount of crud on them, and anything to keep that crud from coming in contact with my bandsaw blade....it's got to make the blade last longer between sharpenings.

No snow yet, I figure we'll have a few snows this year, maybe be down for a couple of days. Great part about being down here is the snow usually only lasts about two days max! But we make up for it in the summer....

Scott (thanks for the visit) B

Thumbs up for the website and pens!!

I need to market more of my cut/air dried slabs.

Lots of Box Elder, Cottonwood, Russian Olive, WRC, Engleman spruce, and several junipers
from Utah's deserts and forests. As well as urban trees.

Quite a bit of the Quakie I mill goes to a local carving shop/distributor that sells locally and through a catalog.

The last five months have taken a serious toll on this old man with a GI infection from hell.

Sorry for the hijack! You do great work!

Keep the posts and pics coming.

Kevin

Scott, what size and brand of lathe do you use?

Purchased the Jet 1220VS as my first lathe...and glad I did. The VS(variable speed) option is worth its weight in gold!
In the event that I decide I want to turn really big bowls or something....I'd probably look for a Jet 1642 or something that the 'head' could be turned to hang the piece in space.

Scott (rainin', so I'll turn a few today) B

What kind of coin do pens like that fetch if ya don't mind me askin?

Since I turn mostly for the fun of it....not much. But there are a few guys that get good money for this type of stuff.

Top photo Sedona rollerball = $45.00
Next St. Charles twist = $15.00
Next Baron rollerball = $40.00
Next 308Cartridge w/Pine cone = $50.00
Last group photo each went at $35.00

Those prices might sound high, but they are below average for them. But a lot of the pricing has more to do with location, then anything else. Say these were for sale in NewYorkCity or some place like that...double the price and folks there will pay it. Times are harder in Arkansas, #7 in highest taxes and #45 in average income doesn't leave a lot of extra cash laying around after you get finished at the grocery store!

I might start offering them on my website, but then again....my plate is kind of full now already.

Scott (it's cold outside today) B

Back