things NOT to do in a tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spreaderman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
alot of people have said they want to get in the business full or part time, I thought it would help to start a thread of things that you don't do to maybe help some new guys....
Don't cut the top out of a tree at a 45 degree angle, it will slide down the tree, it makes a bad experience period....
Don't lay on a limb and tie off to it and cut it without a bottom cut first... it will sweeze you in half......
yes these were things I did starting out without any formal training .......

How about "Do NOT use a chainsaw in a tree if you are incapable of using a chainsaw on the ground safely".

I hate to admit it, but I actually did several removals as a teen before I learned how to tie a tautline hitch. I worked off a lanyard and gaffs, toted a rope along in case I needed to rope down a limb. I think I did that for 6 months before finding someone to show me the tautline hitch. God looks out for fools and drunks! :angel:

I think the Statute of Limitations has run out on this one

Don't cut the top out of a tree at a 45 degree angle, it will slide down the tree,

I do this frequently, for that very reason. But then you gotta understand the mechanics of what you are doing.

I would say,"Don't cut and hope, understand fully what you are doing first."

Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn
I do this frequently, for that very reason. But then you gotta understand the mechanics of what you are doing.

I would say,"Don't cut and hope, understand fully what you are doing first."

We also would do a top like that JPS. We called it jumping the top out as opposed to throwing a top. It helps to do that when you lack room to throw the top. Most times you have to remove all the limbs on the side you are positioned on so that they don't beat the fool out of you on the way down. :eek:

If you aren't sure that you can make the proposed cut safely don't make the cut.

If in doubt, rope it out!

Until you KNOW you can do otherwise, keep both hands on your saw while cutting. (If using a hand saw keep the non-sawing hand and arm completely out of the saw's path.)

Remember, if things go wrong, smaller pieces are less likely to cause real grief.

beat the fool out of

When I did it I out cut my groundie or cut faster than he pulled an our timing was off, the next thing I new the top was on the ground leaning against the tree and my shirt was torn off and I and a terrible stinging sensation on my shoulders

urinate..

Much worse than a pithed off groundie is a pithed on one.....

Don't ever think that you are so good that you don't need to take precautions....
Don't ever plan on using your chain saw with one hand.

Every day when I leave the house to do tree work I say a prayer. Funny, I don't think to do that when I'm not doing tree work.
Greg

bad moves

When you are tired, REST, if you don't you begin to forget safety while in a hurry to get finished. Ask yourself what happens next before you make that cut or move. Don't ever think the emergency brake or parking gear on the truck will hold every time, chock the wheels or run the risk of a runaway truck. I was surprised by a tree last week while cutting 5 wild cherry trees all in a row, all bad. The first one came down and was hollow about the first 70'. The second came down and as it hit the ground the tree next to it dropped about 35' of the top out, not enough good wood to hold the top in. It fell away from me but I forgot to look up as I walked away from the one I cut. I knew the trees where bad but I never expected it to blow the top out from just shaking the ground. Pay attention to the trees around you and lay out your exit before you cut, then don't just stand there to watch the tree fall like they do in the movies, get out of the way.

Latest posts

Back