Things to look for in custom muffler design?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banditt007

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a thread going in the regular chainsaw forum but so far its going on 2 pages of haters and negativity-for whatever reason 95% of the people there can't seem to answer a few questions. I don't see that thread going anywhere thanks to people with no viable input posting up garbage. So i'll try here....

I am looking at building a scratch built muffler. Its on a work saw so it cannot be a tuned pipe. I would like to incorporate a spark arrestor and possibly some way of being able to adjust the exhaust exit size to fine tune the saw for noise/power. I need basic ideas such as what difference would i find if i just made a flange with a 1" pipe straight out(just for instance), vs having the cylinder exit into say a 3" diameter pipe 4" long with a 1" exit? Meaning does that "expansion room" in the muffler help with sound levels/power gained ect? If anyone has pictures of scratch built mufflers IE not modified factory ones, post up please. Also side exit w/ deflector vs straight out the front exit. Don't tell me just use the factory muffler and mod it!! Just show me pics and ideas for totally scratch built stuff. Thanks.:msp_thumbup:

Last edited:
There's a reason everyone in the chainsaw said what they did. The expansion into a muffler will not give you the pulse needed to improve performance. General rule is the outlet size be 80-125% of your exhaust port. It's a suppressor, that's it. Build your box, exit the exhaust out the side, put the deflector on the side the gases flow, then build a single hing door that closes the exhaust outlet progressively with a notch in the deflector so that you can even close it 99% if you see fit since your not truly looking for good ideas.

It sounds like you want the performance of a tuned pipe, without the pipe. Draw a pic on paper of what your after, take a pic of that and post it up. Maybe a few more ideas will come from that.

I have a thread going in the regular chainsaw forum but so far its going on 2 pages of haters and negativity-for whatever reason 95% of the people there can't seem to answer a few questions. I don't see that thread going anywhere thanks to people with no viable input posting up garbage. So i'll try here....

Have you tried insulting people? I bet that would get you lots of replies. Call them stupid, be demanding. Maybe PM the mods to rat out the most uncooperative ones. People would respect your authority then.

Above all else avoid thinking for yourself. Nothing good can come from that. You might figure out how to do something on your own, which is probably illegal.

HTH

Dan nothing can be more truthful than what you said.

On to the OP.... Look we told you not to make a custom muffler, its a waste of time. If you're looking for gains stop complaining about our help and listen. If you want performance gains build a tuned pipe, port the saw and post videos. Your idea clearly shows you're lost on what an expansion chamber is. The way you talk a pancake from Briggs work for you.

Do you have a way to braze or weld? Dremel or die grinder? IF you do then whats so hard about cutting the top section out take your dremel cut the brazing inside the muffler, then make a cut down the middle of the waffle so you and wiggle it loose. Weld top back on and stop whining. If this isn't good enough for you then I'd say you're in the wrong place.

Last edited by a moderator:
I completely understand you! I have to tell you these people here have absolutely no idea. You will never find viable information here. The 1384 threads on the chainsaw site have no information what so ever. The pictures are worthless and the descriptions have a vocabulary like a little baby. You know what I mean "pie", "rash" etc. and the names of people here are equaly infantile like "gologit" and "mastermind" etc.
But don't worry I know that there are very good french and italien sites with a wealth of information about exactly your problem. Of course you can always check out the japanese echo fan site. They really know about everything on these saws.

Last edited:
hey Banditt,

I told you three times in your other thread, if you want to make a new muffler, all you need to do is fabricate a hollow box that matches the dimensions of the factory one. You can put the outlet any where your heart desires. You have also been told a few times that the exit outlet should be around 85-100% of exhaust port area and you were shown several pics of how to fabricate deflectors, where to locate them, and given links to other threads with even more ideas. I laid out a description of 5 different ways you could modify your stock muffler and offered to help walk you through it.

However, you keep telling us it is IMPOSSIBLE to modify the stock muffler, yet you have the fabrication skills to make a new one from scratch. So go ahead and make it. The ideal design will be a hollow box that exactly matches the stock dimensions with an outlet 85% of exhaust port area in any location you want. You have the OEM part to copy from. You say you have the fabrication skills. Let's see your new muffler.

I posted up on your other thread as well, and regardless if ya use a stock muffler and mod it or if you build your own I would not recommend a front exit to the muffler as it tends to catch the log on fire. A front exit with a deflector would work so that the full force of the exhaust stream is not blasting onto the wood.
Another thought is I have seen several saws with expansion pipes that sweep around towards the clutch side and point back and away. I could get along with one like that for firewood. Might be an option.

I made this one from an old Dodge Hemi muffler, soon as I work out the interference issues old chop suey is gonna be 41ccs of big dog saw!View attachment 287723

I posted up on your other thread as well, and regardless if ya use a stock muffler and mod it or if you build your own I would not recommend a front exit to the muffler as it tends to catch the log on fire. A front exit with a deflector would work so that the full force of the exhaust stream is not blasting onto the wood.
Another thought is I have seen several saws with expansion pipes that sweep around towards the clutch side and point back and away. I could get along with one like that for firewood. Might be an option.

You simply didn't understand that the front opening is important for immediate drying of the wood being cut....

:laugh:

OP...here's what I do with 359 mufflers.

Cut them in half.

Belt sand them so the halves match up.

Cut out the offending parts.

Go to the hardware store and locate couplling that are just larger than the mounting tubes.

Drill/Dremel the holes so that the couplings can be pressed in.

Weld/braze halves back together.

Install mounting bolts and align the tubes.

Install couplings..you might have to think a bit and figure out how to press-fit them...(hint: I like to use a nail set).

Mod muffler.

Mount muffler.

Run saw.

Forget you ever had idea of a custom muffler.:msp_scared::msp_scared:

I have done several like this using brass couplings and it works like a charm...or take Randy's advice and MM behind the plate.

Back