Thinking about modding my muffler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morning wood

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was tinkering with my new-to-me 029 super and decided to pull the muffler to check the piston for damage. I have noticed a lot of muffler mod threads on this site. Should i mod it before I put it back together? Will it make it considerably louder? I was thinking about using my dremel cut off tool to remove the indented portion. is this too much? should i just drill a couple holes instead? your feedback is greatly appreciated.

No put it back together, clip the limiter caps and get a feel for tuning the saw by ear an get it running right to start, then mod the muffler it will go a lot beter for you when it comes to setting it up the first time.

I'd listen to TW. You've got to figure out what four-stroking sounds like first. I'd drill holes in the indent. Maybe three of them. It will be loud. A lot louder than a lot of MM. I'd also open up the deflector on the other side too. More flow.

Excellent advice so far, just remember to do alot of research, there are alot of good posts here that can really help you with your muffler mod needs. The 290 can really wake up from a good muffler mod, when you are ready i think you will be very happy with your results

Well i've opened the muffler up but i haven't been able to fine tune the carb yet. I noticed that the saw says H-3/4
L-1/4. Is this the default settings because the high was more like 1 1/8 and low was around 3/4? after i trimmed the tabs i turned each up approximately 1/4 turn. I ran it and it smokes more than before but i would rather have it too rich than too lean. When I go to the mountains after a load of wood I will make the final adjustments. Does anybody know the basic settings or should i just turn it down from where i have it?

Well i've opened the muffler up but i haven't been able to fine tune the carb yet. I noticed that the saw says H-3/4
L-1/4. Is this the default settings because the high was more like 1 1/8 and low was around 3/4? after i trimmed the tabs i turned each up approximately 1/4 turn. I ran it and it smokes more than before but i would rather have it too rich than too lean. When I go to the mountains after a load of wood I will make the final adjustments. Does anybody know the basic settings or should i just turn it down from where i have it?

The settings you are referring to marked on the housing are what the limiter stops allow for adjustment, the screws are usually set about 3/4 turn out then the adjustment you can make to them are what the limiters allow. If you cut the limiters off you can fine tune your saw to where it works best. I like to start with the screws set one turn out, the engine will start and run there, then I tune for idle first, when that suits me I then tune for WOT and transition.
Pioneerguy600

Does anybody know the basic settings or should i just turn it down from where i have it?

Nobody can give you anything accurate. Every saw is different, especially after any mod. What's right for your saw will change with temperature or altitude and to a lesser extent humidity or fuel. You have to tune it right for the conditions. The basic settings are just close enough to get it to start. Go to Madsen's website for a good lesson in tuning, then err on the rich side if you're unsure.

Latest posts

Back