Thinking about starting a aborist business

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hickahollar

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey all I have been taking on side jobs felling trees. The ones I have done i have felled them on ground whole tree but I really want to start climbing so that I can get the better jobs. I have no knowledge of the type of ropes, knots, equipment I need to be safe. Yes I know about harnesses but not sure about the best knots to use to tie myself off. Or best methods for lowering limbs safely on the ground.

Hey all I have been taking on side jobs felling trees. The ones I have done i have felled them on ground whole tree but I really want to start climbing so that I can get the better jobs. I have no knowledge of the type of ropes, knots, equipment I need to be safe. Yes I know about harnesses but not sure about the best knots to use to tie myself off. Or best methods for lowering limbs safely on the ground.

Me too!

We wish you L.U.C.K. Labor Under Controlled Knowledge;
but must warn this seems treacherous gauntlet to run of high attrition rate; that almost seems must be born to, or other perfect storm.
Truly the toughest job i'll ever love and my making; but just as truly not for most people.
Just running a chainsaw has a high injury rate for user, and even some around;
let alone swinging 60mph chainsaw around in a tree close to a thread supporting you from falling 80' isn't smartest thing i ever done;
but thankfully L-earned to do it well; but that is done in places where you have no coach outside of self.

If you are happy to: -
1. Spend the next 10 years (minimum) learning how to do it safely and most likely developing average ability and knowledge
2. Risk not getting hurt / hurting someone else in the above 10 year period
3. Probably not making any money for the next two years doing it
4. Deal with clients that on the whole think they know your job better than you and who want all the extras doing for a cup of tea
5. Develop the climbers sweaty chainsaw trousers smell that is unique to our industry
6. Fight the bastard weather...big tree over assets = wind and rain where I am
7. Be a boss with the ladies
8. Have the best job in the world

...then go for it

We wish you L.U.C.K. Labor Under Controlled Knowledge;
but must warn this seems treacherous gauntlet to run of high attrition rate; that almost seems must be born to, or other perfect storm.
Truly the toughest job i'll ever love and my making; but just as truly not for most people.
Just running a chainsaw has a high injury rate for user, and even some around;
let alone swinging 60mph chainsaw around in a tree close to a thread supporting you from falling 80' isn't smartest thing i ever done;
but thankfully L-earned to do it well; but that is done in places where you have no coach outside of self.
True not the smartest job. But I enjoy it. I'm starting to learn different knots and will practice climbing trees around my house. My in tree saw is a 90s with no chain brake and as soon as I can I will up grade. What kind of rope do I need currently I have 200 feet of 310 pound rope seems kind of light to me but where do I buy better rope; or is that decent rope to start with? You have diamond braid. Straight braid rope.... what's best? My dad owned a logging company at one time before he went belly up so I've learned alot about felling on ground.

If you are happy to: -
1. Spend the next 10 years (minimum) learning how to do it safely and most likely developing average ability and knowledge
2. Risk not getting hurt / hurting someone else in the above 10 year period
3. Probably not making any money for the next two years doing it
4. Deal with clients that on the whole think they know your job better than you and who want all the extras doing for a cup of tea
5. Develop the climbers sweaty chainsaw trousers smell that is unique to our industry
6. Fight the bastard weather...big tree over assets = wind and rain where I am
7. Be a boss with the ladies
8. Have the best job in the world

...then go for it
Well I'm not expecting to make a whole lot of money at first just want to be able to pay for new equipment with the money I make. I have a full time job until I can get going good.

Years to learn daily command of saw flat footed on ground,
To then cautiously take and test lessons into the air.
Knowing definitively how wood, saw and self respond to cutting and results of;
before hanging over a gator pit by 1/2" thread while handling said saw and wood and self respond in this brand new world of living on the 'Nylon Highway' and wielding dangerous cutting tool around.
i would not run saw on ground,let alone in the air w/o chain brake.
Not in any way to be a winey purist , but rather clean surgical moves at production pace with a most dangerous, devastating hand tool that don't need licence for
to run at production pace at human risks of complacency.
i will claim such clean moves w/chain brake as to have no production loss, but rather confident increase.
Just like w/gun; only point at target, only this devil is alive and hungry, so any time chain brake off, are potentially pointing this 'gun' at non (intended)target. Left juggler is one of the kickback hot spots as if calling to saw with huge magnet.
i think was honest 10yrs in the air, before really just relaxed and laid into the saddle totally floating lightly;
and then really started!

The last tree I climbed I used a hand saw in a sycamore tree it was only about 40 feet tall. But it was real close to a house like limbs over the roof. But it wasn't a big heavy oak that had 20 inch around branches over a house. What kind of certifications do I need if any where I live and how to find out?

True not the smartest job. But I enjoy it. I'm starting to learn different knots and will practice climbing trees around my house. My in tree saw is a 90s with no chain brake and as soon as I can I will up grade. What kind of rope do I need currently I have 200 feet of 310 pound rope seems kind of light to me but where do I buy better rope; or is that decent rope to start with?

That rope sounds like the rope I started wit, an old clothes line.

I would love to find a true arborists around here and work part time with them but that's hard to find a good one in this area. Most have a bucket truck and dont climb. The other professionals are part of a big 3 state wide company that only pays 10 dollars an hour. I might try for a part time job with them and learn but I cant give up my almost 30 an hour job for them that's why i do it part time around here and I'm starting to get people wanting me to climb and limb trees next to houses that are 250 plus years old. Last thing i want is to drop a 300 pound log through a roof or on someone so I'm having to pass on these jobs that are too big for me at the moment.

I think ANSI Z133 says a rope needs 5400 lb MBS, and I want stronger for rigging.

Strongly strongly strongly recommend you learn from a professional. Even if it’s all companies running bucket trucks, you can learn rigging, but chances are a lot of those bucket operators are climbers too. Look harder, there’s gotta be at least a few climbers around. Find a company with a decent reputation.

This early in the game, how could you know and recognize if you’re in over your head?

I think ANSI Z133 says a rope needs 5400 lb MBS, and I want stronger for rigging.

Strongly strongly strongly recommend you learn from a professional. Even if it’s all companies running bucket trucks, you can learn rigging, but chances are a lot of those bucket operators are climbers too. Look harder, there’s gotta be at least a few climbers around. Find a company with a decent reputation.

This early in the game, how could you know and recognize if you’re in over your head?
Thank you I will read the ansi code. And yes I agree trying to work with someone would be best. I will look for someone who is in need of help. There are a few freelance arborist around just dont know if they are professional or not.

Lofty goal for sure. Pun intended. :laugh: They are not paying you for your bravery, they are paying you for your years of knowledge and training that will get you where you wanna be safely. By wanting to try it you have passed the first step. Step two is asking for help in learning the skills needed to do it safely. If your serious I would try and hire on with a good established tree company as a groundsman and spend your time watching and learning how it's done. Find a company to work for and let them know your goals so they can help you learn the right way and most importantly learn how to avoid the wrong way. Work your way from groundsman to a bucket man and work your way through the ranks. You also must be in great physical shape as well and have great risk assessment skills and common since because safety for everyone on the job starts with the monkey in the tree.
Good luck to you.

Sure, why not? Anyone can be an arborist.

At least that is my take from a tree job done 2 miles from my house. The county hired an arborist to supervise trimming a banyan tree in a park. He came all the way from Honolulu, so he must have been well qualified. The result was
6062903_web1_Honomu_Banyan_Tree.jpg

Three days later the scene looked like
6083418_web1_20171015_143250.jpg

Fortunately there were no injuries when the tree fell over onto the power line and street. Only one parked car was damaged. I have seen no followup regarding repercussions for that arborist, nor whether he ever learned the lesson of maintaining balance, especially for trees with shallow root systems.

Sure, why not? Anyone can be an arborist.

At least that is my take from a tree job done 2 miles from my house. The county hired an arborist to supervise trimming a banyan tree in a park. He came all the way from Honolulu, so he must have been well qualified. The result was
6062903_web1_Honomu_Banyan_Tree.jpg

Three days later the scene looked like
6083418_web1_20171015_143250.jpg

Fortunately there were no injuries when the tree fell over onto the power line and street. Only one parked car was damaged. I have seen no followup regarding repercussions for that arborist, nor whether he ever learned the lesson of maintaining balance, especially for trees with shallow root systems.
WOW!

Back