Thinking of switching to Husqvarna

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scars2prove-it

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am getting tired of replacing my 200Ts and 441 due to the engines falling apart. I recently bought two of the last MS 440s that my dealer had but I will soon need to replace them. I want to give Husky a try because I have never owned one and they seem to have a good reputation. I've owned nothing but Stihls for the last 25 years and have quite a graveyard of saws built up. What should I get that is comparable to the MS200T and MS440? Are there better models coming out that I should wait for?

Well, for an MS200T replacement, the only thing currently available is the MS201T. The MS200T is no longer being made and any out there for sale are very expensive. If you have a pile of dead ones, might be able to generate some funds by sticking them on eBay.

As far as your saws falling apart, I'm not sure others using the same saws are experiencing the same rate of failure. What is breaking on your saws? scored cylinders? Broken cranks? Clutches burning up? I strongly suspect that switching brands is not going to solve the saw failure problems but it can't hurt to try.

Certainly if you are a regular user of saws you should try some other brands. People switching brands all the time in all directions. I am presently moving away from the Husqvarnas as I prefer Stihls. (for a number of reasons). And others, for different reasons, prefer Husqvarna or Makita or Solo or whatever.

Try some other brands and report back.

372xps are hard to beat i like the 576 also. All the husky top handles are turds. Wont hold up half as long as a 200t. All the top handles now are kind of dissapointing have to pick the one that sucks the least.

I am getting tired of replacing my 200Ts and 441 due to the engines falling apart. I recently bought two of the last MS 440s that my dealer had but I will soon need to replace them. I want to give Husky a try because I have never owned one and they seem to have a good reputation. I've owned nothing but Stihls for the last 25 years and have quite a graveyard of saws built up. What should I get that is comparable to the MS200T and MS440? Are there better models coming out that I should wait for?

What part of Maryland are you in?

I like my Huskies, I don't know much about the Husky tophandles, but a 372 would make a good replacement for a 440.

I'd like to check out that graveyard of saws some time... :laugh:

a lot of us like to bash one brand or the other. But really stihl and husky are top of the game, and while some models are considered better than others, switching from one brand to the other without any other changes is not going to mean you have saws lasting significantly longer.

Switching won't hurt, but if you have a good store of stihl parts it doesn't make a lot of sense imo

372xps are hard to beat i like the 576 also. All the husky top handles are turds. Wont hold up half as long as a 200t. All the top handles now are kind of dissapointing have to pick the one that sucks the least.
I second that my friend. And my favorite top handle alive is a cs341 echo, hands down. MS 200 is a good saw, but not great to me I work on them the most at work out of the entire fleet. Good saw I just don't think they are great, especially for 700 bucks. Bucknfeller you a houndsmen??

The T540xp has been reported to turn the top-handle game "upside down" by those who have tried it - it is out here, but not yet in the US.

Last edited:
I second that my friend. And my favorite top handle alive is a cs341 echo, hands down. MS 200 is a good saw, but not great to me I work on them the most at work out of the entire fleet. Good saw I just don't think they are great, especially for 700 bucks. Bucknfeller you a houndsmen??

Yeah buddy :rock: You??

Last edited:
I'll bite, you might want to post up your most common failures you are having. Might be a reason behind the failures. As for switching to the Huskys sometimes a change of brand can be like a breath of fresh air. Personally I like any of them if they're well made. Dolmars are my favorite but I like Stihl and Husky quite a bit too. Right now I have a shop full of Husky projects, including a top handle.

I can be a complete cave man with my saws and have never had one fall apart. If you have to go to a dirt cheep saw and buy a couple of em so you always got 1 working.

Latest posts

Back