This belongs here. Sharp Advice From Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, if you go by avatars, you might be led to think I have cut down 2 million trees or something. ;) In reality, if you know anything about that particular photograph and movie set of Sometimes a Great Notion, that shot was done on a platform built around a short stubby tree that was near a logging road. The pros made the cuts, set the saw in place, and Paul Newman walked up and took hold of the saw and they did the take.

I can file freehand, but I learned to file with a jig when I was about 10 on my daddy's Homelite. I have also found with experience that overall the chains last longer, stay sharper and run better when they are filed evenly with a jig.

Good to see no one forgot about my 2 million tree count!!:) You have to learn to file free hand real good to be a high production faller,I ran 16"-18" so touchup only took a few minutes at the stump. There was a letter to the editor in the Winnipeg Free press a week ago from a old time logger in the Whiteshell area who was condeming the premiers decision to stop all logging in Manitoba parks. He claims in 40 yrs he felled 1 1/2 million trees and the 2nd growth is back to where it was 40 yrs ago. I'm thinking thats not bad for an old timer, but as I further read he claims the first 10 years he used a 42" hand powered bowsaw:jawdrop:

Yes I remember the Paul Newman, Henry Fonda movie, I think it was also called Never Give An Inch. I liked the 1973 "The Timber Tramps" movie.Alot of nice Mac work up in Alaska.:cheers:

Last edited:
Yah, Never Give An Inch was the movie name given to Sometimes a Great Notion released in the UK and Canada. Same movie, different title. Though in the book, Somtimes a Great Notion the plack that Henry Senior hangs above Hank Jr's bed is scrawled "Never give a inch" in logging crayon yellow. The quote is "a inch," not "an inch." Ken Kesey liked to mess with people's heads.

As for filing in the woods, I try to do as little as possible on saws in the woods or on job sites. Seems that files, bar nuts and tid-bits wind up missing or in the dirt, and lost forever. For me stuff like sharpening chains, cleaning filters and tweeking carbs is best left for being done in the shop after cutting for the day. I take several sharp loops with me into the woods or to an arbor job, and I always have 2 saws.

Last edited:
Do you mean to say that this is what hotsaws used to be about:

attachment.php

And this is what it has turned into?

attachment.php

YES

I have been out of competiting for many years now .Have only organized and ran carving and stock saw competitions at a few local festivals over the last 10 years. Now I'm ready to get back into competiting ,only trouble is summer is my busy time with my tree service but can still muster some off time to do a little travelling.I don't think saws have got alot faster in the last 20 years or maybe slower LOL, besides the Rotaxs.:)

Last edited:
I have been out of competiting for many years now .Have only organized and ran carving and stock saw competitions at a few local festivals over the last 10 years. Now I'm ready to get back into competiting ,only trouble is summer is my busy time with my tree service but can still muster some off time to do a little travelling.I don't think saws have got alot faster in the last 20 years or maybe slower LOL, besides the Rotaxs.:)

You would always be welcome at our shows in the Southwest, you might have to lay down a few miles though.

You would always be welcome at our shows in the Southwest, you might have to lay down a few miles though.

MY Dodge Cummins has a big fuel tank and I'm used to driving long distances ,will have to bring the 5th wheel along. Yeah that would be great to see the Southwest. Do you guys get many Aussies or Kiwis at your shows? I always liked competiting with them. :cheers:

Last edited:
Back