This is probably an age old question, but, one saw to rule them all

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiltwhatman

Reaction score
I have a smallholding in rural Ireland. Which means we have a good mix of mature and young trees.

I've been running a Husqvarna 240, and a 52cc generic Chinese saw, both of which hace cost money, grit, determination and patience to run. The Husqy especially.

Well. The Husky has finally worn me out. We're on the third brake handle in two years, the clutch cover is shot, the oil system has been revamped, and the chain advancer has been replaced as tensioning the chain chewed it up. Add in the temperamental starting issues that occasionally come up, and we're ready for a new tool.

The upshot is, I'm looking for a recommendation for a good, tough, durable and do it all saw, secondhand. I'm looking for one saw to do it all. Using the chinese saw as a backup, and the old husky to hammer in posts with. It needs to be tough, reliable, and easy to work on, as well as coping with the different demands we'd make of it.

We cut our own firewood, about 7 cubic metres a year. And we cut a variety of types and sizes. Coppiced harwoods ar 2 to 6 inches, both as single stems, and in tight clusterts. We'll be clearing a pine grove, so 60 foot trees, up to about 2 foot ian meter, and older ash,alder, beech and willow, at between about 14 inches to 3 foot ( those big ones are few and far, but when they come down in a storm, we need to be up to the job).

I'm reasonably fit, but not big framed, so a really heavy saw might be too much for the all day work I sometimes need to do. I can handle the 52 cc chinese saw al.l day

Oh. Last thing. I'd like to fit a ripping chain and fit it to a mill for planking cypress, ash, and possibly beech. But that's something I might not be able to do, figuring all the other needs. In my locale that means at least a 20 inch bar, as thats the size of the ripping chains.

Hopefully, someone can suggest a good secondhand saw that fits the skinflint homesteaders needs

. many thanks. I've benefitted from the sites expertise often, and I thank you all for it now.

Depending on your brand loyalty, if any, there are many suitable saws out there. I bet if you asked 10 guys on here if they could have ONE saw, you would get 8 or 9 of them saying they would want a 70cc class saw (372xp husq or 440/460 stihl or dolmar equivalent) dont let your bad xperience with the 240 push you away from husky saws. put a 20" bar on a 70 cc saw and it can be a lot of fun and will handle anything you have. If you want to get into milling, i would recommend getting a dedicated milling saw, a little research will tell you a bit more about saws suitable to milling what you want to cut. Then when the chicom saw shows its true colors, get a 346xp hope this helps :cheers:

Most of the tree bark here in South Alabama will be far to rough to pull the silk over the limbs like he did in the video. We have live oaks, water oaks, long leaf pines. Most all are rough???

I would look for a 60cc saw. A 70cc will be faster, but the 60 will get the job done for you, except for the milling. I'm not sure of your budget, but there are alot of excellent saws in 60-70 cc class. I paid $220(US) for a used Husky 562xp and couldn't be happier. If you can afford one, they really are among the best saws out there. Husky 357, 359, and 365 are good all around saws. As are the Stihl MS310-MS360s.

Back