This might sound hard to believe!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chainsaw Talk

Might there be someone who could explain to me just what the heck you guys are all talkin about?

Don't let the silly Husky types get to you Stihl here.I,for one,believe you.
Along the same lines,my wife's stock 02 Toyota Echo regularly stomps all the local Corvettes and Mustang GT's:rock: :dizzy:
Try taking it outa town I know of a shelby stang that will give it problems and I would just rather be silly husky than stihl working on it not with it:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

It is possible that my 359 is a little tired but it does not impress me for the size it is. I figure my modded ms250 is putting out 3.3hp at a little over 10 pounds compared to the 359 guessing 3.7hp the way it runs at over 12 pounds. Factor in the 20'' bar "359" from the 16'' "ms250" and It makes sense to me why they cut simillar thru 12'' logs.

It is possible that my 359 is a little tired but it does not impress me for the size it is. I figure my modded ms250 is putting out 3.3hp at a little over 10 pounds compared to the 359 guessing 3.7hp the way it runs at over 12 pounds. Factor in the 20'' bar "359" from the 16'' "ms250" and It makes sense to me why they cut simillar thru 12'' logs.

Why do you run 20" bar in 12" wood? Put a 20" bar on that 250 and chew some 18" wood, it will beg for mercy. Or put a 16"bar on the 359 and retry.
You have to compare apples with apples if you know what I mean.

Either you are not for real or you have messed up something really bad. A 359will cut circles around a 250. The only Stihls that have any advantage over their Husky counterpart are MS361 and MS880. Other than that the 346XP, 372XP, 395XP are the best saws.

/Peter

Stihl Here

By all indicators the 359 should easily out perform the 250. However, at the end of the day, it is your objective assessment of the two saws upon which you must draw your conclusions. If you have decided that YOUR 250 out performs YOUR 359, then I believe you. Although, such a comparison does defy conventional wisdom. For the record; I am a fan of the 250, no matter the opinions of all the EXPERTS who have not run the saw. GO STIHL!

Best Regards,
OLY-JIM

Last edited:
On the whole....

Why do you run 20" bar in 12" wood? Put a 20" bar on that 250 and chew some 18" wood, it will beg for mercy. Or put a 16"bar on the 359 and retry.
You have to compare apples with apples if you know what I mean.

Either you are not for real or you have messed up something really bad. A 359will cut circles around a 250. The only Stihls that have any advantage over their Husky counterpart are MS361 and MS880. Other than that the 346XP, 372XP, 395XP are the best saws.

/Peter

Delusions of Grandeur!

No S#!T a 359 "should" out cut a 250 but what I am saying is the 359 is either not up to snuff like it should be or I had higher expectations of the husky. I would not doubt the 359 has the upper hand in larger logs but even at 12'' I expected it to smoke my 250 in which it did not!!! I am not bragging about how awesome and everyone should own a 250 but I wish I had spent the extra $$$ for a stihl 361 rather than the husky 359. I will however tinker and try modding my 359 muffler and see what I can get out of it. Just the throttle response alone is not as snappy as my stihl which makes me think the 359 might be tired.

Don't Expect too Much:

No S#!T a 359 "should" out cut a 250 but what I am saying is the 359 is either not up to snuff like it should be or I had higher expectations of the husky. I would not doubt the 359 has the upper hand in larger logs but even at 12'' I expected it to smoke my 250 in which it did not!!! I am not bragging about how awesome and everyone should own a 250 but I wish I had spent the extra $$$ for a stihl 361 rather than the husky 359. I will however tinker and try modding my 359 muffler and see what I can get out of it. Just the throttle response alone is not as snappy as my stihl which makes me think the 359 might be tired.

After all...It's a Husky! :)

Yes, do that muffler mod. The 359 should respond very good to it.
As long as you cut smaller woods, the small saw will be equally fast as long as the hp's of the saw are superior to the resistance of the chain. However, if the 250 looses rpm the 359 will continue to chew. You could put the same bar size on both saws (16 inch) and try a 8 teeth sprocket on the 359. Then it will cut faster. But 2 saws with same chain speed are equally fast.

Check your carb settings if it doesn't rev like it should. I think the 359 is not as much "screamer" like it's 357 brother but still it should rev fast. Btw, buying a 359 and save many bucks compared to the 361 is good. With the muffler modded they should be about equal.

/Peter

I might of been a little harsh with my words on Husqvarna the other day but I was upset with that saw. I am a little cooled down now and will try to tinker with it and give my 359 a fair shake!!

Hold the Phone!

I might of been a little harsh with my words on Husqvarna the other day but I was upset with that saw. I am a little cooled down now and will try to tinker with it and give my 359 a fair shake!!

It's too late for this...you drew a line in the sand...charge ahead...slaughter those in front of you...take no prisoners!

Make no mistake, in It's intended use...the 250 is an excellent saw. GO STIHL!

Best Regards,
OLY-JIM

It's too late for this...you drew a line in the sand...charge ahead...slaughter those in front of you...take no prisoners!

Make no mistake, in It's intended use...the 250 is an excellent saw. GO STIHL!

Best Regards,
OLY-JIM

Come on Oly-Jim. We finally brought Stihl-here to his senses ;) Don't mess with the guy. His has done something really good. He had a MS250 and realized that one needs something better. So he bought a Husky 359. Nothing wrong with that is it? ;)

If the 250 is an excellent saw or not.. well.. If the 250 was excellent. Then what is the 260? And the 346 or 353, there wouldn't be words to describe how good they are. We need a usable scale to compare saws. From 1 to 10, the 250 is not a 10 ...

....Make no mistake, in It's intended use...the 250 is an excellent saw. GO STIHL!

Just OK for intended use - far from excellent, as there are better saws out there, at about the same price - like Husky 345 and 350, etc.......:yoyo: :yoyo:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back