thoughts on new saw purchase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had no intention of offending you, Muley. In fact, your responses in this thread have been first rate. I even appretiate the fact that you find the 372xp a step up from your 361 even though I have not. Opinions are what opinions will be and my opinions are no more valid than yours.

I just think it sad that so many bash either brands or specific saws without ever trying them. I do not own a 372xp. I wish I did. If I was looking for a saw in that size the 372xp would be in the top of my list.

However, if I only had one saw in about the 60cc range and was looking for another bigger saw, I would look at an saw approaching the 80cc mark. That way you can cover your bases.

Now if you are planning on a 3+ saw plan, by all means get as many saws as you can get.

Even though I am partial to my Stihls I really think the Dolmar 7900 would give you that big saw power for about the same weight as the 372xp.

Me too

I had no intention of offending you, Muley. In fact, your responses in this thread have been first rate. I even appretiate the fact that you find the 372xp a step up from your 361 even though I have not. Opinions are what opinions will be and my opinions are no more valid than yours.

I just think it sad that so many bash either brands or specific saws without ever trying them. I do not own a 372xp. I wish I did. If I was looking for a saw in that size the 372xp would be in the top of my list.

However, if I only had one saw in about the 60cc range and was looking for another bigger saw, I would look at an saw approaching the 80cc mark. That way you can cover your bases.

Now if you are planning on a 3+ saw plan, by all means get as many saws as you can get.

Even though I am partial to my Stihls I really think the Dolmar 7900 would give you that big saw power for about the same weight as the 372xp.

I find the same thing rather frustrating as well, however I own both brands and have family that do as well and both brands have proven to be reliable and trustworthy. The original poster did state in the opening post that he had a 361 and was looking for something a little bigger this time around. It is obvious from his posts that he had narrowed the search to 460 and 372. I was simply stating that the 372 and its ancestors are nowhere near "cheap" saws. The reputation of that lineage of saws speaks for itself.

Based on my own experience go with the Ms460 out of the three saws you listed. But My first pick would be the Ms440, this is a saw that if well taken care of could last a life time for the homeowner/wood-burner, My 044 runs like the first day I bought it and it`s many yrs old.The problem is if you can find one ,which is why the Ms460 is the way to go, It`s a lil over kill in my opinion for the homeowner/woodburner blocking all day from a log pile but I`d rather have a lil too much power than not enough.
I must admit The Husky 372xp is a great saw when it works but I`ve owned two and both gave me problems after about a month of use. The saws I own are 011, 260pro. 361, 440, 044, 460 and 660.
I would also recommend you put the saws u`r looking @ into some wood could make a big difference in ones decision , best of luck and to each his own.

Latest posts

Back