throwline bag tips

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Throwline bag alternatives

Thanks for all the input on throwlines.

After a lot of searching, and head scratching, I've come up with a couple of alternatives that might be of interest.

I took tips from MonkeyMan_812 & Ghillie about a fishing reel. No shops around me have any fly-fishing reels, :confused:. But, I did find an auto-dog leash - 23' of acceptable line, auto rewind, lead strap (right length for throwing) & key clip. On the rare occasion I need a throwline topside it'll do.

picture.php

But, the real find (no pun intended) was a better way to manage throwline from the ground. I found that the pro-kite flyers have come up with really good ways to manage light line. They've developed reels variously called "hoop", "halo" & "yo-yo". Again, there are no kite stores near me, :confused:. So, to test the idea, I made my own. It actually works AMAZINGLY well, solves all the problems with a throwline in a small, neat package. It will pay-out line as fast as the throwbag wants it and rewinds in seconds. It fits perfectly on top of my climbing line in a rope bag or a 5-gal. bucket (with bucket bag).

picture.php

I mounted two frisbees to a 3/4" length of PVC with sheet metal screws and cut out the center - cost $2. It holds 200' of line.

Lay the reel at you feet and throw the line as usual. The line runs of the side with not resistance at all - not a hint of a tangle. When re-winding simply hold the reel by the center hole and wind in on the same side it came off - so no twist is added. Each wrap takes in about 18" of line. That's as fast or faster than I can get the line back into the cube. And, most of the time the line never touches the ground.

It works so well I think I'll order one of the kite hoop reels - most are less than $10.

:cheers:

i've seen people use those before, like an extension cord reel. only problem is you have to take out the desired length before you throw it, laying it just so on the ground making sure there's nothing like sticks, roots, long grass etc that will mess it up. just get a bucket or something and flake into it. that way you can deploy line directly from the bucket, no worries. about the dog leash, virtually the same problem except now its spring loaded :/

edit=also, you're right, it doesnt add twist when you reel it in, it adds it if you try to deploy it directly from the reel like you describe

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input on throwlines.

After a lot of searching, and head scratching, I've come up with a couple of alternatives that might be of interest.

I took tips from MonkeyMan_812 & Ghillie about a fishing reel. No shops around me have any fly-fishing reels, :confused:. But, I did find an auto-dog leash - 23' of acceptable line, auto rewind, lead strap (right length for throwing) & key clip. On the rare occasion I need a throwline topside it'll do.

picture.php

But, the real find (no pun intended) was a better way to manage throwline from the ground. I found that the pro-kite flyers have come up with really good ways to manage light line. They've developed reels variously called "hoop", "halo" & "yo-yo". Again, there are no kite stores near me, :confused:. So, to test the idea, I made my own. It actually works AMAZINGLY well, solves all the problems with a throwline in a small, neat package. It will pay-out line as fast as the throwbag wants it and rewinds in seconds. It fits perfectly on top of my climbing line in a rope bag or a 5-gal. bucket (with bucket bag).

picture.php

I mounted two frisbees to a 3/4" length of PVC with sheet metal screws and cut out the center - cost $2. It holds 200' of line.

Lay the reel at you feet and throw the line as usual. The line runs of the side with not resistance at all - not a hint of a tangle. When re-winding simply hold the reel by the center hole and wind in on the same side it came off - so no twist is added. Each wrap takes in about 18" of line. That's as fast or faster than I can get the line back into the cube. And, most of the time the line never touches the ground.

It works so well I think I'll order one of the kite hoop reels - most are less than $10.

:cheers:

I like the dog clip idea for the end of the line, dont know why I havent thought about that before.

i've seen people use those before, like an extension cord reel. only problem is you have to take out the desired length before you throw it, laying it just so on the ground making sure there's nothing like sticks, roots, long grass etc that will mess it up. just get a bucket or something and flake into it. that way you can deploy line directly from the bucket, no worries. about the dog leash, virtually the same problem except now its spring loaded :/

edit=also, you're right, it doesnt add twist when you reel it in, it adds it if you try to deploy it directly from the reel like you describe

It's not used like a an extension cord reel. The line deploys directly off the side of the reel - more like an open bale spinning reel. I don't have to spend any time to take out any line or flaking it. It's always ready - haven't had a single problem yet.

Last edited:

I don't have to "take out" any line from the dog leash either. With a 20 oz. throwbag, the line pays out automatically as needed by the weight. It has a brake and an auto-rewind. Works great for short throws.

Of course, I don't intend on using very often. So, it should last forever.

Last edited:

Acutally, it's the other way-a-round. The line is wound (originally) on to the reel from a straightened line. So, a twist is added when first wound. When the line deploys the twist is removed.

Each re-wind restores the single twist so it always deploys without twist. Deploys instantly without any prep work. It wraps up & stores fast - secure and compact - no more tangles, hang-ups, or flaking.

Acutally, it's the other way-a-round. The line is wound (originally) on to the reel from a straightened line. So, a twist is added when first wound. When the line deploys the twist is removed.

Each re-wind restores the single twist so it always deploys without twist. Deploys instantly without any prep work. It wraps up & stores fast - secure and compact - no more tangles, hang-ups, or flaking.

yeah i get that, i thought you reeled it like the extension cord reel, didnt know you wound it up. i still dont see it deploying too smoothly though with a lip like that. maybe if it didnt have a lip on one side.

Yeah, I wondered about that, too. I didn't believe it either - so, I had to build one to see for myself. In my trial runs and actual work, the lip seems to be what makes it work. The line slips over the curved edge as fast as the weight moves. It's amazing to watch the line deploy.

The part I like best is there are no moving parts. The line out, line in goes really fast. Wraps and packs easily and compactly - nothing to mess up.

Mind you, I didn't invent anything. I just copied what the pro-kite flyers have been using for years. They've got some remarkable ways to move a lot of line in a hurry. It must be successful because there seems to be hundreds of suppliers for "hoop reels". You can buy one for less than $10

When I get around to buying one I'll post a pic - maybe put up a vid on YouTube. I've even seen some videos on how to use them for kites. The important thing about controlling twist is to ALWAYS wrap and deploy the line from the same side of the reel. That's why I made the two sides different colors. The line always goes on and off the orange side.

I can highly recommend trying one. :clap:

picture.php

wow... it seems to me a mountain out of a mole hill. I have not had any problems yet just having my thowbag clipped to my saddle with line dangling. maybe i'm not advanced enough to have so much equipment for it to tangle in, but I manage with a climbing rope,rigging line, and throwline hanging. ground folks help some too.

lh3-

Well, you're right, this thread has digressed a bit - as they all tend to do.

It started out looking for better ways to stuff a throwline mug. It sounds like you don't use one. But, seems like many do and don't like stuffing line either. So, things led into alternative methods.

Interestingly you're the first to mention letting their throwline "dangling" freely. Did I get that right?

I've got a 2-in-1 lanyard on one side, saw strap on the other, clipped in the back; a hand saw, a couple strap loops, and a tag line to haul up gear from the ground. That's in addition to the climbing line and any rigging lines. On the rare occasion I need a throwline topside, I'll haul it up.

Still, this too is a digression. The question is: What's the simplest way to store throwline? The cube and the "hoop" reel seem to be running neck & neck, so far. But now, the reel seems to be working the better for me.

Thanks, bringing the thread back to the point.

My throw-line does dangle freely. For now the only reason for me to have a container up in the tree with me, would be for pocket stuff i cant get to with a saddle on like cell phones, pocket knives, etc.

New Thread?

That's interesting ... you climb with a small bag and a free hanging throwline. It beg's the questions: You don't carry any saws? - no slings? -rigging hardware? - flip line? Do you haul up gear from the ground on your throwline?

It would be good to know. But, this thread is about stowing throwline. I would be cool if you would start a new thread about what gear to climb with. I'm sure you've got some good advice the rest of us could use.

I'd subscribe to your thread - we could continue this discussion there. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back