Ticks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost died with Rocky Mountain Spotted tick fever.
I use the clothes treatment permethrin and then spray clothes with deet (at least 20%) immediately before going into the brush and one of the big lone star type ticks will still get past the repellents every once in awhile.

Had couple shots few years ago provided by the employer as a preventative for lymes disease. I think maybe they are not even offered anymore. I might have been a Guenia pig or lab rat for that one.

Giardia is another one that almost got me. (took a drink from a clear mountain stream)

I started using a Seresto collar about 2 years ago on two dogs. Found them on-line at about 1/2 price.
Seresto keeps ticks and fleas off the dogs, but had to remove a collar from a small dog due to allergy issues with the collar. If ticks are found on the dog they would be dead
and I live where ticks get thick.

I take a hand crank seeder and put tick granules in it and can cover a lot of ground around house using the seeder application vs just hand throwing application.

Bifen IT insectcide keeps the insect critters away really great in/outside house and shops.
Do not use it on yourself for tick control though.

I use the clothes treatment permethrin and then spray clothes with deet (at least 20%) immediately before going into the brush and one of the big lone star type ticks will still get past the repellents every once in awhile.

Had couple shots few years ago provided by the employer as a preventative for lymes disease. I think maybe they are not even offered anymore. I might have been a Guenia pig or lab rat for that one.

Giardia is another one that almost got me. (took a drink from a clear mountain stream)

I started using a Seresto collar about 2 years ago on two dogs. Found them on-line at about 1/2 price.
Seresto keeps ticks and fleas off the dogs, but had to remove a collar from a small dog due to allergy issues with the collar. If ticks are found on the dog they would be dead

I take a hand crank seeder and put tick granules in it and can cover a lot of ground around house using the seeder application vs just hand throwing application.

Bifen IT insectcide keeps the insect critters away really great in/outside house and shops.
What is available to the public to mix in a spray tank that I can spray a large area with?

Well, it's that time of year again! Since, We had such a mild winter up her in the Midwest. They are predicting that the fleas, ticks, etc. will be bad this summer. What tips, do those of you that spend a lot of time in the back woods have for repelling ticks?
I'm not too far from you and I'm not seeing many ticks this year. My dog that doesn't get very far from the house has only had 1 tick so far this year. I treat him with flea, heart worm and worm prevention and the stuff I use now doesn't control ticks. I got zero ticks during mushroom season but I did get one on me the other evening while limbing a tree that fell across the driveway and into the field. I felt it crawling on me before it had a chance to bite.

What kind of tick granules do you use? Are they safe for dogs? Thanks in advance for the information?

What is available to the public to mix in a spray tank that I can spray a large area with?

Buy livestock permethrin. They also make it for area sprays, but it kills all bugs good and bad.

You can take this and dip cotton balls in it, put these in used TP/paper towel tubes. Mice, a primary tick vector, collect the cotton make nests, and kill the ticks for you. You can buy these pre-made but homeowner $$$$$$.

They also make deer feeders with large paint rollers treated with permethrin. When the deer come to eat they get treated. cattle duster idea.

real good
What kind of tick granules do you use? Are they safe for dogs? Thanks in advance for the information?

I really cannot give any hands on info about tick granules. I've only been using them about 2 years and I just buy them at wal mart or farm and ranch in 25 lb bags and since I started dispersing them in the hand seeder spreader very few ticks are within the yard or mowing area.
I'm also not too sure about being safe for dogs.
I can only tell you that they sure go a lot further if you disperse them in a hand crank seeder and they do not start working until moisture hits them. They seem to work great in my yard and mowing areas the last couple years.

You can review the tick granules cautions on-line and I need to do the same.
I put some granules on some large ant mounds, them big red and also black army type ants and about 3 weeks later none surfaced and no activity at all.

I live in a rural area and had to choose between having some cats or rats and mice.
I got 4 kittens and 2 are the Manx (look and act like Bobcats) that look like bobcats and I have not seen a mouse, rat, chipmunk, robin bird or squirrel within
300 yards of the house or out buildings in over a year.
I had to get both of the Manx tom cats neutered, they are very territoritial and will whip any other tom cat in site and each other and even some female cats and try to run them completely out of their territory. Took about 6 mo's after they were nutered to stop fighting each other and they are Bro's.

Rats and mice carry fleas, ticks, eat the wiring off of vec's and some carry Hanta Virus. (Hanta Virus is bad stuff)
Only thing nice about Hanta is if you catch it you will be dead shortly, before the Dr figures out what you have usually and short suffering time.:eek:

Well, it's that time of year again! Since, We had such a mild winter up her in the Midwest. They are predicting that the fleas, ticks, etc. will be bad this summer. What tips, do those of you that spend a lot of time in the back woods have for repelling ticks?
Sulfur Powder. fold a cuff in your pantlegs, and pour the powder into the cuffs. Ticks stay away, and so do the humans.

Ok, this is a bit different preventative method for ticks but only around your house, really not practical for wood cutting areas. Guineas. I know, ugly and noisy but these things live to hunt ticks. Neighbor on the other side of the wood lot has ticks all the time, since we got guineas 3 years ago ticks are on the "Endangered Species List" on our property. Plus the guineas make a great early warning alarm if somebody comes on the property.

Sulfur Powder. fold a cuff in your pantlegs, and pour the powder into the cuffs. Ticks stay away, and so do the humans.

As a teenager on a ranch did not know about anything as a repellant other than Sulphur, kerosene to the pants legs and drank lots of the rotten egg smell Sulphur water. Our well water was the rotten egg type Sulphur water.

Very few ticks seemed to bite, maybe due to the Sulphur in my system, but I've seen seed ticks so thick on me that they looked like dust moving around.

Did not feel them seed ticks crawling until I sit down to rest. Stay moving and I would not feel them crawling.
Seemed the chiggers really liked the groin area where I could not use the kerosene.:(:eek::cry:

As a teenager on a ranch did not know about anything as a repellant other than Sulphur, kerosene to the pants legs and drank lots of the rotten egg smell Sulphur water. Our well water was the rotten egg type Sulphur water.

Very few ticks seemed to bite, maybe due to the Sulphur in my system, but I've seen seed ticks so thick on me that they looked like dust moving around.

Did not feel them seed ticks crawling until I sit down to rest. Stay moving and I would not feel them crawling.
Seemed the chiggers really liked the groin area where I could not use the kerosene.:(:eek::cry:

I have been in areas that have chiggers and suffered for days afterwards, I'm so glad we don't have them on my property.

I'm from Southeastern Indiana and they are EVERYWHERE right now. I haven't even been in the woods. I've been building in my driveway. I will kill at least 3 every evening. They'll be on me, on the driveway itself. I'll be framing or painting and just see one walking right in front of me.

Logging they never bothered me much as long as I was running a saw,I guess the oil in the saw dust on my pants helped keep them away.

Seed ticks though are a spawn from hell.

I just feel bad for all those beagles. Ears dragging the ground, no thumbs. Mine used to get em all the time. Full time job keeping her clean. She was worth it though.

Anyone ever notice how ticks are attracted to propane?

Just take a propane bottle and crack the valve and let it blow for few seconds and here they come.
Noticed this while bleeding propane line traps and the plumbing was on concrete slabs where you could see the ticks coming to the propane odor.

Might be some way of building a tick trap using propane odor as a lure.

I can take snakes, stinging scorpins, ticks, chiggers, wasps stings most everything except a mosquito.
A mosquito bite will immediately raise a big bump on me, bigger than a wasp sting and itch with a big white dot in the middle of the bump. If one bites me between the eyes both eyes will swell shut. The electronic thermocell works great for me plus cloths treated with the Permethrin. Mainly best mosquito repeller for me is the thermocell during hot weather. hunting season, no odor.
Seems one mosquito will fly for miles just to bite only me.

Back