Ticks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a place near Hardy, AR and that area has to be the tick and chigger capital of the world. Now I have no more problem with them. I keep a long sleeve cotton shirt and pair of pants handy that I call my "permethrins". Buy a bottle of concentrated permethrin, it's not expensive, and will last for years. Make up a pint or so of a 1% solution. Throw the shirt and pants in a plastic bag and sprinkle the whole pint of permethrin on them. Tie up the bag and mush it around so the clothes are saturated. Let it sit overnight. The next day hang them out to dry. When dry or nearly so, put them in a dryer on high heat for 30 minutes. This bonds the permethrin to the fabric. This is the method the military uses to treat jungle fatigues. Tuck the pants legs into boots that have been sprayed liberally with permethrin. When you've worn them a few times and they start getting too skanky, wash them - I use cold water. I've read that they retain insect repellent properties for up to five washings, but I re-treat mine sooner to be on the safe side. I wear a broad-brimmed fabric hat that is also treated. This outfit is wonderfully effective. Permethrin is deadly to ticks in addition to repelling them. One time I mowed a waist deep area of grass down by our creek, and when I got back to the house, I picked three DEAD ticks off my pants legs. Any permethrin that contacts the skin is broken down by sweat and enzymes and should not pose a problem.

I have a place near Hardy, AR and that area has to be the tick and chigger capital of the world. Now I have no more problem with them. I keep a long sleeve cotton shirt and pair of pants handy that I call my "permethrins". Buy a bottle of concentrated permethrin, it's not expensive, and will last for years. Make up a pint or so of a 1% solution. Throw the shirt and pants in a plastic bag and sprinkle the whole pint of permethrin on them. Tie up the bag and mush it around so the clothes are saturated. Let it sit overnight. The next day hang them out to dry. When dry or nearly so, put them in a dryer on high heat for 30 minutes. This bonds the permethrin to the fabric. This is the method the military uses to treat jungle fatigues. Tuck the pants legs into boots that have been sprayed liberally with permethrin. When you've worn them a few times and they start getting too skanky, wash them - I use cold water. I've read that they retain insect repellent properties for up to five washings, but I re-treat mine sooner to be on the safe side. I wear a broad-brimmed fabric hat that is also treated. This outfit is wonderfully effective. Permethrin is deadly to ticks in addition to repelling them. One time I mowed a waist deep area of grass down by our creek, and when I got back to the house, I picked three DEAD ticks off my pants legs. Any permethrin that contacts the skin is broken down by sweat and enzymes and should not pose a problem.

Good info: Thanks
doing a search I see that Tractor supply sells the concentrated Permethrin at reasonable prices.

Sure save's $$'s vs buying the spray can stuff

I'm up to 3.
I've had multiple occasions in years past where I had 200 plus ticks in an afternoon. If you get a dry spring with no frost that will happen. We had a nice cold snap this spring that appears to have knocked the heck out of the ticks and skeeters. It didn't get deep enough to get the sand flies tough. :cry:

I've had multiple occasions in years past where I had 200 plus ticks in an afternoon. If you get a dry spring with no frost that will happen. We had a nice cold snap this spring that appears to have knocked the heck out of the ticks and skeeters. It didn't get deep enough to get the sand flies tough. :cry:
Clothes bring them in the house too. Put clothing in wash immediately after being in tick areas!

Bifen IT around the house and yard, deet on clothing especially socks and pants. And I keep a little peppermint oil on hand for the rare tick that manages to attach himself. They hate the stuff and will back themselves out. Obviously prevention is preferred.

Bifen IT around the house and yard, deet on clothing especially socks and pants. And I keep a little peppermint oil on hand for the rare tick that manages to attach himself. They hate the stuff and will back themselves out. Obviously prevention is preferred.
Astragalis Paniculata can stop an infection in a new bite! Swansonvitamins,com......real cheap!! Also one of the Primary Herbs in treating Lymes! Been on it for 3 weeks now and DOES work along with Japanese Knotweed, Astragulus, and Cats Claw!!!

Astragalis Paniculata can stop an infection in a new bite! Swansonvitamins,com......real cheap!! Also one of the Primary Herbs in treating Lymes! Been on it for 3 weeks now and DOES work along with Japanese Knotweed, Astragulus, and Cats Claw!!!
I'm taking Astragalis now because of 3 not 1 but 3 new bites :mad:

Excellent Post Tone! Wish I had read this a month ago!!!
Thanks Man!!!

Pretty much what I do.

The Bifen IT makes the biggest impact on both mosquitos and ticks that I've seen. Initial application probably knocks down 70-80% of mosquitos. A follow up a couple weeks later and even my brothers place near the river was almost completely mosquito free. That was really the nuisance target, the tick population being decimated was a welcome side effect. Not sure how effective the feet really is, just another tool in the arsenal so to speak. Permethrin sounds like the way to go. I'll be looking into that. I like Tones approach above.

Latest posts

Back