tight squish

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommymacher

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was wondering if any one knew where I can get some thin gasket material to make a base gasket out of, or is there a good enough "gasket maker" sealant to seal it up?
thanks.

You can use all kinds of things for base gaskets, I'm currently running a sprite can in one of my saws and an Ace Hardware bag in another. :laugh:

Most folks use a good quality sealer like Dirko HT, or Yamabond.

You can fine tune your gasket with brass shim stock or paper gaskets will work as long as you don't make them to thick.

Do a search for "thin gasket" you will find some interesting reading.

you can make a good gasket out of any paper product - I recommend coating it with Permatex Indian Head Gasket Shelac. Permatex Ultra Grey also works very well, as does Permatex Ultra Copper - and they are more affordable than Dirko HT.

Im running a Budweiser can in my 026 Pro as a shim/head gasket. Interestingly, ever beer can I checked was thicker than a soda can made by Pepsi products. I'm gonna get a decent mic from work and measure.

I personally haven't done this yet but a small silk thread ought to work fine. Aircraft recip case halves are sealed this way. I have used small wax strings in place of gaskets in automotive applications and thought it would work on chainsaw jugs.

I would not go that way with any silk threads or o rings ect, reason is the ears are then flexed over the thread, even a thou or two is going to add stress on them and pull the botom of the jug out of shape. Also the sealing width around the transfers is pretty thin on some saws and it would be difficult to keep any sort of o-ring type gasket lined up for asembly. There is nothing wrong with a good metal to metal fit. Good clean well machiened fit and then sealer is really not needed. But a skim of just about any gasket goober makes life easy.

Also watch paper gaskets, like mentioned esp thicker ones, they can start to pack and allow head bolts to losen causing problems. Some of the bigger saws started out built with paper of fiber gaskets and switched out later in production to metal after problems in the field.

Thanks for all the info and tips.
I heard about .020" is about all you want to get down to on a saw. any input?

I would not go that way with any silk threads or o rings ect, reason is the ears are then flexed over the thread, even a thou or two is going to add stress on them and pull the botom of the jug out of shape. Also the sealing width around the transfers is pretty thin on some saws and it would be difficult to keep any sort of o-ring type gasket lined up for asembly. There is nothing wrong with a good metal to metal fit. Good clean well machiened fit and then sealer is really not needed. But a skim of just about any gasket goober makes life easy.

Also watch paper gaskets, like mentioned esp thicker ones, they can start to pack and allow head bolts to losen causing problems. Some of the bigger saws started out built with paper of fiber gaskets and switched out later in production to metal after problems in the field.

Wow, good points. Thanks. So I suppose rubber bands are not recommended? :greenchainsaw:

(j/k)

Back