timberjack???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlboy

Guess who's back
Reaction score
anybody got a timberjack how well do they work and do you like them?? i am thinking ill need one saturday. if someone can bring one so i can see it in action it will be appreciated. dont know if i should get one but i think it is a good investment.. kinda want one but not sure so how well do you guys like them

Not to hyjack a thread but I am also looking at these. I am looking for something just to rotate big logs around to finish the cut out to make them into rounds.

Worth the money, IMO. They save a lot of effort in turning heavy logs and helping to keep my saw out of the dirt. Just don't cheap out and get the $34 model from Tractor Supply (and elswhere) with the metal handle. I used it for a week before the two-piece metal handle bent and ripped apart at the seam. Get the heavy ash or fiberglass handle. Bonus: get the model for which they sell replacement handles. I know that Northern Tool has them discounted right now.

My buddy I go cut with has a timberjack. Along with wedges it is a very usefull tool when felling and bucking rounds out in the woods. A+ tool

Never w/o it

Lots of trial an error and thinking it out as to whether trunk will roll. I usually pull handle toward me and this works however I've read article or two that said push handle away. Someone help me on this idea. Use it for oak,8-12"
and of course have it limbed up and topped all set for rounds of 16". It's amazing how comfortable I've gotten using it. I'm a newbie as I've only been cutting (for stove wood) for 9 months. have learned so much here and happy to contribute something occasionally.
attachment.php

Fran

I have the one from Northern Tool, handles kinda big but it works well. I also have a cant hook that must be like 75 years old nice for turning logs or helping the timberjack roll them big ones over.

Lots of trial an error and thinking it out as to whether trunk will roll. I usually pull handle toward me and this works however I've read article or two that said push handle away. Someone help me on this idea. Use it for oak,8-12"
and of course have it limbed up and topped all set for rounds of 16". It's amazing how comfortable I've gotten using it. I'm a newbie as I've only been cutting (for stove wood) for 9 months. have learned so much here and happy to contribute something occasionally.
attachment.php

Fran

SHEP: you have it right the first time. Pull towards you, it cantilevers the weight of the log therefore lifting log to buck.Grant you I weigh #230 and sometimes it's hard but, I do git-er-done.

cost me 12 bucks to make one

HUSK:Just my 2. See if you can make the stand removable. Mine does so I can use it as a CANT HOOK. Used it more than once to roll logs.Also mine was like yours in a"T" formation I found out on BIG TIMBER (3' DIA) it wanted to tip over to either side and seemed unstable. I then welded 2 bars diagonally and now seems very stable.

Last edited:
I have the one from Northern Tool, handles kinda big but it works well. I also have a cant hook that must be like 75 years old nice for turning logs or helping the timberjack roll them big ones over.

I personally am looking for somthing just to roll the logs. Will a Timberjack be better for that or a Can't hook, or Peavy be better?

DON'T buy the :censored: POS metal one from Tractor Supply. I bent the handle the first time that I tried to use it. Cash refund the same day!

I personally am looking for somthing just to roll the logs. Will a Timberjack be better for that or a Can't hook, or Peavy be better?

I have a cant hook. You can turn huge logs with it. Found mine down in the Gila-very old with handle broke off. Hook is hand forged as is ring that goes around the nose. Found it elk hunting and took it home and turned a nice handle for it out of ash. I'd like to have a log jack and have considered welding on this one a time or two(removeable jack), but the historic value of the tool outweighs the need in this case. I'll just make a new one.:cheers:

I got the Logrite Peavey with the stand. This thing is damn near indestructable. A sponsor of this site sells em and at a good price. Give em the business. My model is 60".

Nice Husky Rancher. Welding.....my next hobby to take up. Must be very satisfying to create something thru welding and save so much $$ besides.

Fran

thanks for the compliment, i threw that together pretty fast. it works pretty good. honestly i forget i have it most of the time. i build government, military, secret service, police, tv news trucks for a living. so the sense of accomplishment i once recieved is gone from making little crap like this lol. but it does save money, i made a real nice chimney cap out of .125 aluminum its kinda like a proto type for now to see how it works out. if i like it ill tweek it a bit and make it abit prettier. ill start a thread on that tomorrow i still need to take pictures

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back