Time for a new saw. Opinions please...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CodyWayne718

CodyWayne718

ArboristSite Member
Went by my Dolmar dealer today to pick up a few chains for the 510 and see how much of a price difference there was between the 7300 and 6400. He tells me that the 7300 has been discontinued and that I could have the 6400 for $600 OTD and if later down the road I still felt that I wanted more he could turn it into a 7300 or 7900 cant remember off the top of my head which he said. So here is the dilemma, $600 for a new Dolmar 6400 or save about $100 and go with the Makita 6401! I jus don't know what to do, been awhile since I have posted but I know you all can help me make up my mind :dunno:

homelitejim

homelitejim

Full of Scrap
Check with Home D's tool rental to see when they are selling their saws. Some here are picking up the 6401 cheap which makes it more affordable to put a 7900 top end on it. We all need a project saw now and then to keep us sharp.

Krokit

Krokit

ArboristSite Operative
hd 6401

i picked one up a couple of weeks ago from my local hd store here in lexington.I got mine for $199.00 dollars.very good shape runs good.They put a list out of rental tools that they can sell every month.The list is usaly out the first or second week of every month,just need to be persistent and call every month till they have one.I checked in january and no luck,checked again at the begining of feburary and got them to sell me one.Right now should be a good time as they are upgrading to the new 6402 models,so start calling every hd store you have around and you should get one.Hope this helps.:rock:

Krokit

Krokit

ArboristSite Operative
where did you get this tid-bit of information?

friends with the girl who runs the rental department.They had 5 saws and 3 were already the 6402 models,she said they were swapping them out for the new models.After i bought mine that will make number 4 that they've sold and will replace with new model.Thats the info she gave me,not sure if it holds water but thats what there store has been doing.

nmurph

nmurph

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
you may not have meant it this way, but your post makes it sound like HD is replacing 6401's with 6421's just bc it is a new unit. i doubt that HD is doing anything different in their cascade. they are removing units which have reached that magic number of hours or age according to their existing plan, and replacing them with what is available from makita; the 6421.

Krokit

Krokit

ArboristSite Operative
that is correct and sorry if i made it sound like there just doing it because there's a new model. Im not the best at wording things , thats why i stay in trouble with the wife .:msp_lol: