Time to air grievences!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol - I wouldn't go that far but I believe I have split my share.

I think I have had the Fiskars 4 years and in those 4 years we have burned +/- 25 cords each year. I have hand split maybe 3/4 of that. The other 1/4 didn't need split or was noodled.

It's what I have said from the beginning. Different things work for everyone.

The Fiskars works for me and I think I have proven it's capabilites for me in my applications. I like it but I wouldn't and push it on anyone and I sure as hell am not going to criticize one for their choices. "You're splitting by hand....F-IN AWESOME."

I wanted the CT maul in my hands before I commented on it.

I made my initial impressions known and at the time I knew nothing of what to look for in a GOOD handle.

What I have learned since then is that the handle was jacked from the ding ding and only thing it had going for it was that you could hold it and it was hickory.

1/3 heartwood and a diagonal grain. You can't be upset with the manufacturer about this, they are pumping this stuff out. It was 25 bucks.

When I get a new GOOD handle for it, you can DANG well be certain it will have the @johnnylabguy 1.5" pvc collar mod on it.

My "bastardizing" of the maul head that @svk mind controlled me to do.....it makes perfect sense to me.....flat and smooth. I have found that someone else also suggests to grind of any bumps/edges behind the head to make them.....flat and smooth. IT MAKES SENSE. Less friction = less resistance. That's how my pea brain sees it.

I want it to work and I will eventually get it to work. Will it work as well....we shall see.

We can fish almost year 'round here too Zog. :D
grumpy_old_men_fishingpole2_zps10b7cd90.png

grumpyoldmen_zps9b08b52f.jpg

ETA - I just shoved my thumb in eye putting my sweatshirt on....Dammit.
Great post!

:numberone:

benp - just to be clear ... a cord is 4' x 4' x 8' = 128 cubic feet of wood. 25 cords per year is a lot of burning. You're not talking face cords are you? Do you burn all year or just in the cold months?

benp - just to be clear ... a cord is 4' x 4' x 8' = 128 cubic feet of wood. 25 cords per year is a lot of burning. You're not talking face cords are you? Do you burn all year or just in the cold months?

They heat 2 houses and a shop with one OWB. That's par for the course around here.

We heat a 70x32 shop and the house I think now is 3000 + sq ft, probably closer to 4k because the basement is wrapped in also.

My gardener's hovel has no benefit from the stove.

Yes.....that is how much we burn. I'm not exaggerating and I am not proud of that amount. TRUST ME I wish it was a lot less. My life would be a touch easier.

We heat a 70x32 shop and the house I think now is 3000 + sq ft, probably closer to 4k because the basement is wrapped in also.

Yes.....that is how much we burn. I'm not exaggerating and I am not proud of that amount. TRUST ME I wish it was a lot less. My life would be a touch easier.

Do you have a wood heater or fireplace in your digs, fellow hovel dweller?

Do you have a wood heater or fireplace in your digs, fellow hovel dweller?

No Zog I don't. Baseboard electric......it's included in my extremely reasonable rent.

If I had more room the only viable option in my eyes would be a pellet stove. You can get a lot of heat for cheap and for no effort from those.

No Zog I don't. Baseboard electric......it's included in my extremely reasonable rent.

If I had more room the only viable option in my eyes would be a pellet stove. You can get a lot of heat for cheap and for no effort from those.

I was in a rented nice shape single wide during the "storm of the century" here in 93. Propane furnace, needed juice, way out in the sticks, no juice for near a week. The heatalator type fireplace really came in handy! Even without the fan blower it kept the place nice and toasty. All my firewood then I was cutting at the house with a plug in craftsman, with the old style powersharp. I was working at a cabinet shop then, so I hauled home a lot of hardwood scraps as well.

It was a spiffy storm for around here anyway. I had fun.

I was in a rented nice shape single wide during the "storm of the century" here in 93. Propane furnace, needed juice, way out in the sticks, no juice for near a week. The heatalator type fireplace really came in handy! Even without the fan blower it kept the place nice and toasty. All my firewood then I was cutting at the house with a plug in craftsman, with the old style powersharp. I was working at a cabinet shop then, so I hauled home a lot of hardwood scraps as well.

Welllll.......there's this kinda hanging around if power goes poof.

IMG_0770640x480.jpg

IMG_0769640x480.jpg

That was our first winter after our chicken houses were built.

We were were on our 3rd flock of chickens: 8 houses @ 24k per house. ( big birds in 40'x500' houses)

The power went on the blink, so Dad and Uncle Jimmy went in search of a generator.

4' Snow embankments and CJ7s don't mix.

That was our first winter after our chicken houses were built.

We were were on our 3rd flock of chickens: 8 houses @ 24k per house. ( big birds in 40'x500' houses)

The power went on the blink, so Dad and Uncle Jimmy went in search of a generator.

4' Snow embankments and CJ7s don't mix.

Ha! Did you put "snow doors" in the ceilings of the houses after that? That's what my boss did in his houses. He also used a grader and plowed all the way out to the freeway just so the feed trucks could get in.

His three farms here, all butted up together, all have big diesel gennies, they come in handy, power goes out all the time around here.

His last flock that went out, five lb birds in 39 days!

Warmest day we've had in a month. My wife went to Target in heels and some ***** comes up to her and goes on a rant about heels not being sensible. Really? Faw-q lady!!!

Stuff like that always happens when I'm not around. Except the time someone started lecturing us for having 5 kids. She held her own quite well though so my thoughts weren't needed.

So I'm clear here, because I'm new, you cut and split 25 cord for tour employer all by hand?

So I'm clear here, because I'm new, you cut and split 25 cord for tour employer all by hand?

For my neighbor...who also happens to be my landlord.

He is one of my absolute best friends...so "landlord" just seems.....inappropriate.

I live in the "mother in law/gardener's" hovel....which actually was intended to be a garage (I have a floor drain).

My house is 10 feet from theirs.....so he is my neighbor.

Yes, I process all the wood, either split by hand or noodled.

For my neighbor...who also happens to be my landlord.

He is one of my absolute best friends...so "landlord" just seems.....inappropriate.

I live in the "mother in law/gardener's" hovel....which actually was intended to be a garage (I have a floor drain).

My house is 10 feet from theirs.....so he is my neighbor.

Yes, I process all the wood, either split by hand or noodled.

I'm in awe that you have time for anything else doing it by hand
My attention span does not allow me to work wood for more than the weekend

I'm in awe that you have time for anything else doing it by hand
My attention span does not allow me to work wood for more than the weekend

I don't work for more than 2.5-3hrs a time at a pop. I'm all over the place by the end.

This time of year, all warm days that I can spend in the wood pile are in the wood pile.

It's just one of my jobs. Guard dog, gardener, pet sitter, lawn manicurist, mail getter, liquor getter, parts getter, trash putter outer, vermin extractor, large vermin extractor, etc.

ETA - Forgot snow removal too.....Here's my toy for that.

287C Cat with an 8 foot snow pusher. Neighbor asked if I wanted the 14 foot pusher and I said "HELL NO" I will have enough issues with this. lol
A27AAB9C-81EA-445B-8537-044FF7A38550_zpsrllqrwtj.jpg

Hats off to you!
I suppose that if I really kept track of time it would surprise me of what I could really produce if I kept at it
I spend a little too much time working but its therapy to me

hsell - my V-10 is a Dodge gas engine, extended cab, short bed with a 1 ton suspension. It's the second one I've owned. They pull anything you hook them to and pass everything except a gas station. Dodge quit making them several years ago. I bought it to pull a five horse slant load trailer with front quarters. It's the only truck I found with enough power to pull a loaded 5-horse trailer up hill, in the mountains 55 mph and still have power to accelerate when needed.
Cool Always wondered about them, I have a brand new V-10 never been fired.

Hey Mark @zogger it's been a while since we've heard from you. Hope all is well.

I've got a grievance. How tough is it to get keys reproduced that actually work?! I've had 5 diffract batches of keys made at 4 different locations in the past several months and have had multiple rejects in every batch!!!

I want to punch my manager in the mouth

My Mustang needs a rebuild and I know santa did NOT bring me a gaskets set for it.

Out of Coors Light

MIL BF is visiting for the holidays and wife made me promise to not knock his teeth out.

We spend billions housing felons, but what do we do for veterans?

They take a third of my paycheck to give handouts to people that DONT WANT to WORK, they just want the hand outs.

I work two jobs just to make ends meet but people on the system drive nicer cars then me.

Ok I'm done. Have a Merry Christmas fellas.

Hahahaha, I'm the Manager now
Poor mustang still sits in the driveway, had it running and blew her up again
Got 4 coors lights left in the fridge
MIL smartened up and ditched that looser
We still spend billions on felons and do to little for our veterans and elderly
Now that I'm manager, please don't get me on the government raping my paycheck
I only have to work one job and yeah I gots me a nicer car now
Happy end of summer fellas

Back