Times have sure changed here.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even though I love change in performance technology, there is something about a work horse. Simple, old school bullet proof but it works. Little slower maybe, not so much bling, little more weight but its short comings are out weighed by its long term simple performance.
That's the way I feel about my first saw, a Husqvarna 50 that I bought new in 1985. It still runs great. It's had a few spark plugs, a carb kit, new air filter, new clutch, new pull rope and that's it other than bars and chains of course. I still like to use that old saw.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Consider that many, many very old saws have been lightly used for decades and are still on original motors with a slow but considerable accumulation of hours used.

Most of this time has been with “inferior” mix oils.

Chainsaws don’t need fancy mix oil. Just lots of it. As long as it burns clean it is good.

Imo.

But if you could use PAO and ester... why wouldn’t you.

Just sayin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the manufacturers two stroke mix. Husqvarna gets Husqvarna oil. Simple. Too expensive to screw up a saw with the wrong oil. I’m buying a lot of chainsaws that need rebuilding. Why?

All I ever used growing up was a Stihl chainsaw and now that I own (too many) saws myself everything just doesn't look, sound or feel right in my hand . I also buy the stihl oil (silver bottle).

Even though I love change in performance technology, there is something about a work horse. Simple, old school bullet proof but it works. Little slower maybe, not so much bling, little more weight but its short comings are out weighed by its long term simple performance.
Why oh why can't somebody make a ute (pick-up truck up there?) like this any more? Rock solid motor you can work on yourself, NO climate control, reversing cameras, blutoof connections, electric windows or mirrors, etc.

Put a lot of time on an 011avt run on fuel mixed at theres oil in there. Replaced by an ms250 hate that turd. The 590 meets the simple reliable work horse role talked about earlier in the thread. Kind of like a modern 3700 poulan in my mind. The 7910 was free so no complaints there. I'll run any saw of any brand no saw snob here. Run echo oil. The blue kind not the red stuff.

Why oh why can't somebody make a ute (pick-up truck up there?) like this any more? Rock solid motor you can work on yourself, NO climate control, reversing cameras, blutoof connections, electric windows or mirrors, etc.

I wouldn't want to do without climate control, it has been acting up in my pick up this summer, and it was Damn uncomfortable in High 90's and low triple digit temps.

Being a truck driver I use them more, but I consider Power windows and mirrors a SAFETY feature, all too often in the dark, you get a glare or reflection on the windows, especially when backing, and being able to roll the window down is an easy fix, having to lean across the cab to manually roll a window down, discourages a driver from doing it, again being able to adjust the mirrors as needed can help avoid an accident. The cost of power windows and mirrors(heated mirrors too) is a small price compared to their benefit, in My Opinion.

Bluetooth, heated seats and what not, I can do without, Back up cameras could also be a safety item, but lower on my list.

Doug :cheers:

I wouldn't want to do without climate control, it has been acting up in my pick up this summer, and it was Damn uncomfortable in High 90's and low triple digit temps.

Being a truck driver I use them more, but I consider Power windows and mirrors a SAFETY feature, all too often in the dark, you get a glare or reflection on the windows, especially when backing, and being able to roll the window down is an easy fix, having to lean across the cab to manually roll a window down, discourages a driver from doing it, again being able to adjust the mirrors as needed can help avoid an accident. The cost of power windows and mirrors(heated mirrors too) is a small price compared to their benefit, in My Opinion.

Bluetooth, heated seats and what not, I can do without, Back up cameras could also be a safety item, but lower on my list.

You are using your ute for commercial truck work? If so, then how about consider those things optional extras and let the customer decide if they need 'em? Frankly, the crap that gets sold to us under the guise of SAFETY is nucking futs. Just why we collectively put up with the BS is beyond me. Imagine a few decades ago if they had tried to sell someone a ute with electric windows, power side mirrors, back-up camera, etc, etc. They'd have failed miserably and garnered the reputation as a 4x4 shopping trolley for the metrosexuals in town. No self-respecting redneck would even go in the dealers. Nowadays, there's a new generation of sheep aptly conditioned to thinking they need that **** for safety, when all they really need is the nut behind the wheel to have more than a few IQ points to rub together. Makes ya wonder how they even make it through the day without causing harm to themselves or others. I guess there's an app that get's 'em through it.

Not using the pick up commercially, but backing a 6x12 utility trailer, 17 foot boat or a 33 foot travel trailer down the side of the house in the dark power windows and mirrors are much appreciated.

FWIW, I driven tractor trailer professionally for over 30 years now, if someone wants to snicker, it won't bother me any, chances are it will be MY turn to snicker, after I hand them the keys And tell them to show me how it's done ;):)

Not using the pick up commercially, but backing a 6x12 utility trailer, 17 foot boat or a 33 foot travel trailer down the side of the house in the dark power windows and mirrors are much appreciated.

FWIW, I driven tractor trailer professionally for over 30 years now, if someone wants to snicker, it won't bother me any, chances are it will be MY turn to snicker, after I hand them the keys And tell them to show me how it's done ;):)

The places I see some commercial truck drivers back their rigs into amazes me sometimes. It's a real pleasure to watch drivers who know their rigs that well and have years of experience. Much like most things I guess - time in the saddle and application to learning one's craft pays off in the end. A pity snowflakes these days expect to be experts at everything after a year. I blame the snowflakes parents for putting that BS notion in their heads or letting it sit there without correction long enough to grow roots and take hold.

I use the manufacturers two stroke mix. Husqvarna gets Husqvarna oil. Simple. Too expensive to screw up a saw with the wrong oil. I’m buying a lot of chainsaws that need rebuilding. Why?
The brand of oil has no bearing on the the saw losing the will to live it's the quantity in the mix & the carb mix tuning more often than not There are oils superior to own brand oils but minute quantity's of oil in the mix & lean mix is the death knell for 2smoke kit

Latest posts

Back