Tips wanted from Pros on cutting straight

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 359 I've got on the bench has 3 hash marks in the air filter/top cover. When they are vertical, the bar is parallel to the ground, saw to nose. It also has the same kind of hash marks or sight lines in the side cover/pull cord housing, above and below the sticker.

When doing my face cut to get the cuts to meet I pick up a piece of straw or a branch then put it in the opposite side so I can aim for it

Lots of good things to try! Thanks again for the suggestions! Will have to try some of these ideas, although not all at the same time! Saw would look pretty funny if I did! lol Would love to make one of those GTG's, will have to see whats happening on that day!

Can't get much closer other than woodyman's in Becker.........Whoops, I mean Santiago!

Practice is definately what counts but also concentrating. It's easy to get out of position and lose track of exactly where your first cut went or where it finished (especially with trees wider than your bar). Best to do both face cuts without moving your feet much if at all possible and keep track of the direction you intend to send the tree. Once that is determined you have a "focus" point to line following cuts up with.
On the backcut to keep it aligned it also pays to trace your backcut in the bark with your running chain from one side of the scarf to the other (generally an inch or two above the scarf). You can then determine whether that lines up and adjust your backcut from there to get it square. Remember though that there are a lot of different effective techniques used by guys and some are easier to master than others.
Definately helped by experience though. The more you fell the better you'll get - hopefully :)

Something I once did which was a smart thought at the time was epoxy a spirit level bubble on my starter housing to show when the saw was level. Good with the saw turned off for practice but useless with the saw running. The second you hit the throttle you ended up with about 12,567 tiny bubbles or basically green froth :)

Last edited:
when I am making the face cut or the back cut, I have a terrible time cutting level cuts. I always seem to angle downward when cutting. What do you use for benchmarks to keep your bar flat? Sure would appreciate some advice. I cut with a Husky 359. Always in red oak.

If you have access to a 16" dia tree that you can cut a high stump on, cut the high stump. After that, tie a rope or string around the stump that reflects the cut that you want to make and follow as close to the guide as possible. While doing that the sight guides on the saw may become more obvious and easy to use.

wondered about a niche design like that

When making the undercut, instead of running the throttle in the traditional manor with youre index finger

Rotate youre hand 90 degrees to the top and run the throttle with youre thumb instead

I find this keeps me from cranking my wrist around allowing me to keep the bar level

--I've wondered about a design just for felling, with the handle and bar rotated 90 from each other, a saw just for the felling cuts. Or a way to have a rotating locking handle for that, along those lines.

Can't get much closer other than woodyman's in Becker.........Whoops, I mean Santiago!

Your right about that! I was raised in Santiago! (Locals call it San D ago) Must have confused the ####ens out of all of us Norwegians and dem Swedes having a spanish name to their hometown!

If I were to make a GTG, I doubt I would bring a saw, as I already know how little I know, sure don't need a reminder! lol

I found it helped getting decent dogs for my saw and just dawg in and give the saw a point it pivots around when making a cut. Not sure if I explained that right, but my cuts are more consistent now than they were before.

definitely cut at a comfortable height, I could always make the felling cuts decent but it took a long time for to cut a straight stump lol Im guessing because its uncomfortable to cut so low.

Your right about that! I was raised in Santiago! (Locals call it San D ago) Must have confused the ####ens out of all of us Norwegians and dem Swedes having a spanish name to their hometown!

If I were to make a GTG, I doubt I would bring a saw, as I already know how little I know, sure don't need a reminder! lol

Well the GTG is a good place to learn from others and have some fun BSing.
We cut a bit of wood and BS a lot. Then race a bit and BS a lot. We'll also help tune saws and teach some filing techniques for sharpening too.

Latest posts

Back